News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Threviel on April 13, 2020, 10:38:10 AM
And the fourth explanation is that the Swedish government are secret worshippers of Nurgle and they are heralding in the grim dark future of mankind. This fringe theory is mostly put forward by members of different foras on the internet.

Could just be the high Swedish death toll is the initial fuckup with spreading it into retirement homes by mobile staff. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2020, 12:47:48 PM
Incidentally on the UK, I've no idea how useful our figures are over the long weekend.

But the slides today do seem to suggest that the hospitalisation numbers are plateauing (slide 2); no details of ICU admissions in the last few days:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/879130/COVID-19_Press_Conference_Slides_-_13_04_2020__8_.pdf

The big question for me is still the huge discrepancy in ICU numbers in the UK (and we have capacity) v deaths. It's totally out of sync with other countries. I wonder if the clinical guidance that I posted about earlier is actually more aggressive than other countries so people who could survive aren't being admitted to ICU here?

Because they're holding back ICU beds for a greater surge? :unsure:

Another discrepancy with the figures, the total deaths which the health/death secretary always announces as deaths, rather than only hospital deaths, is that the real covid-19 death toll is likely to be nearly twice that headlined figure.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Jared knocked one out of the park with his Middle East Zoning Plan!  Here's hoping he keeps the streak alive!

Wonder if Ivana's pic is shopped.  She looks like one of those Burmese tribeswomen who wear those brass neck extenders.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2020, 08:00:55 PM
Jared knocked one out of the park with his Middle East Zoning Plan!  Here's hoping he keeps the streak alive!

Wonder if Ivana's pic is shopped.  She looks like one of those Burmese tribeswomen who wear those brass neck extenders.

It's sort of gone beyond parody now?

edit:
I've figured it out, The Virus is god's attempt to make the Trump 'administration' believable or mundane? :unsure:

Zoupa

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2020, 05:14:57 PM
Another discrepancy with the figures, the total deaths which the health/death secretary always announces as deaths, rather than only hospital deaths, is that the real covid-19 death toll is likely to be nearly twice that headlined figure.
I don't know if that's a discrepancy with other countries - my understanding is only French figures include at least some care home deaths. The briefings I've seen they specifically refer to it being people in hospital and this is also true in the tweets by the DoH, such as yesterday's:
QuoteAs of 9am 13 April, 367,667 tests have concluded, with 14,506 tests on 12 April.

290,720 people have been tested of which 88,621 tested positive.

As of 5pm on 12 April, of those hospitalised in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus, 11,329 have sadly died.

I think at the end of this we'll only know by looking at excess mortality statistics - and it'll be covid and non-covid caused deaths related to this crisis.

But this is one of those things that makes me feel this has spread further than people are expecting. The Scottish government have said that about 40% of Scottish care homes have had at least one case which just seems incredibly high. Similarly I saw that a hospital in NYC had tested about over 6,000 pregnant women as part of the delivery over the last weeks and found that 14% had it (of which 12% were pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic) - and that's only the antigen test so it doesn't capture people who have had it. It's the same with the number of prisons that have cases now - it just seems far more widespread than you'd expect.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

I bet the number of infected in NYC is 5-10 times the official number, which is already a stratospheric ~1%.  It's openly stated that you won't be tested unless you require contact with the hospital, or you're someone who needs to be tested due to the job you're doing.  You may be very symptomatic and having the shittiest time of your life, but if you're not having any critical symptoms that require hospitalization, you won't be tested and thus won't be confirmed.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on April 13, 2020, 10:46:51 PM
I bet the number of infected in NYC is 5-10 times the official number, which is already a stratospheric ~1%.  It's openly stated that you won't be tested unless you require contact with the hospital, or you're someone who needs to be tested due to the job you're doing.  You may be very symptomatic and having the shittiest time of your life, but if you're not having any critical symptoms that require hospitalization, you won't be tested and thus won't be confirmed.

Same in Oregon.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 13, 2020, 11:27:46 PM
I didn't know Data had an evil twin.

You never bought into the "Lore is evil" stuff?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2020, 09:43:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2020, 05:14:57 PM
I don't know if that's a discrepancy with other countries - my understanding is only French figures include at least some care home deaths. The briefings I've seen they specifically refer to it being people in hospital and this is also true in the tweets by the DoH, such as yesterday's:
QuoteAs of 9am 13 April, 367,667 tests have concluded, with 14,506 tests on 12 April.

290,720 people have been tested of which 88,621 tested positive.

As of 5pm on 12 April, of those hospitalised in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus, 11,329 have sadly died.

I think at the end of this we'll only know by looking at excess mortality statistics - and it'll be covid and non-covid caused deaths related to this crisis.

Spain does count non-hospital deaths if they are confirmed Covid cases, however with current testing protocols and capacity those are very little. Our daily mortality tracker is lagging in the most affected areas (Madrid and Catalonia) due that we're looking at an increase of nearly 200% of usual mortality rates ( :(), but once it catches up we'll get a better idea. So far is showing excess mortality as being over 2,000 vs the number of reported Covid deaths.