And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2020, 12:02:13 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 14, 2020, 11:43:13 AM
Also Yi, like me you're no spring chicken, so have you considered giving up smoking just for the duration of the pandemic?

Because this thing can aggressively attack lung performance, so giving you lungs some respite, might well help if, god forbid you get it.

Gave it about 30 minutes of consideration.

I don't think 2 weeks of tar-free lungs will noticeably boost my chances of surviving covid 19.

I can see two sides to this.

On the one hand every little bit helps.  If you've been smoke free for two seeks, or two months, before getting covid-19, it could make a difference.

On the other hand - having to go through confinement, and nicotine withdrawal, at the same time?  Yuck!

Perhaps a good time to switch to e-cigs, or nicotine gum, though?

I certainly wouldn't judge you for the choice you've made though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Threviel on April 12, 2020, 10:46:32 AM
Sweden 12, Denmark 13. Sign of things to come.

Sweden 114, Denmark 14.

We're opening a larger part of the private sector this week due to low infection rates. But the government won't say yet which parts. :huh:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

katmai

Quote from: mongers on April 14, 2020, 11:43:13 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2020, 10:35:56 AM
Made a quick loop for some errands (McDonald's breakfast  :mmm:, Walgreen's for smokes and dish soap  :worthy:, and recycling).  Saw a convoy of 10 Amazon Prime vans heading out of their fulfillment center.  The places I went had plexigas sneeze guards at the cashiers.  Most people were wrapping scarves around their faces; one dude had a genuine mask.

:cool:

I've seen a total of 5 masks sofar.

from the few times I've been out since the 14 days of self isolation ended,  it's about 50% of the people are wearing masks
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Over here it's like 90%. I don't know where they find them really.

Ultimately I've felt guilt-tripped into wearing a scarf, far-west bandit style.

derspiess

I'd say it's about 30% here.  I haven't worn one yet :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2020, 02:43:13 PM
Over here it's like 90%. I don't know where they find them really.

Ultimately I've felt guilt-tripped into wearing a scarf, far-west bandit style.
i have some N95 masks (bought way back for when doing home renovations) but been using bandana when I went out.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Threviel

Quote from: Legbiter on April 14, 2020, 02:07:37 PM
Quote from: Liep on April 14, 2020, 12:33:25 PMSweden 114, Denmark 14.

:o

Numbers for Sweden not really up to date due to easter. Expect far more tomorrow.

Admiral Yi

Any yanquis gotten their McConnel money yet?  Read an article says they've just started.

HisMajestyBOB

My bank says I'm getting it on the 15th.
I'm already putting together an idea/shopping list. Building a new PC, setting up a Raspberry Pi camera, getting the parts I need to resurrect my old Apple II GS...

Or being boring and sticking it in a savings account.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

merithyn

Quote from: alfred russel on April 14, 2020, 09:15:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2020, 06:28:37 AM
Quote from: katmai on April 14, 2020, 05:12:42 AM
I preface this by saying I know the USA has woeful testing numbers but am I reading that the fatality rate of reported cases is like 4.0%

Currently the US is 4.04%, however NYC has been having like two hundred excess deaths a day at home over the norm every day. So, yeah, it's probably artificially low.

It is way too high. I keep offering to make you bets on this stuff, and yet you just ignore me. I'm happy to make you a bet on this, and you can propose the terms this time.

I'm beginning to worry that you don't believe your own hype.  :(

More likely we've stopped paying attention to anything you're saying on this topic.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2020, 02:43:58 PM
I'd say it's about 30% here.  I haven't worn one yet :ph34r:

Maybe 10% here?

I made my mask, and have a queue of others asking for them. Most of my friends sew, so nearly all of my friends are wearing them.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2020, 02:55:15 PM
Any yanquis gotten their McConnel money yet?  Read an article says they've just started.

Carter has. I have not.

celedhring

The Spanish Health Institute has plotted Covid infections against local temperature.

On the Y there's infections per 100,000 and on the X average temperature.