News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Get well soon Zoupa. I doubt you're the last of us to get this. So stay safe all.

Is anyone else getting the impression we are living in somebody's horrible monkeys paw wish?
"I wish for a job where I can work remotely every day!" - a something I have long yearned for... Only in the wish its travelling the world that I do it.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on March 22, 2020, 06:09:24 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2020, 05:40:33 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 22, 2020, 03:56:40 PM
Judging by Australia the heat doesn't seem to matter much. Though it's still early days and other variables could be at play (mostly testing).

Haven't read it - it looks like humidity might matter more? Heat and humidity, they think - based on data from 100 Chinese cities - affects transmission. So this is their projection on the impact it has:

I was curious enough to read the paper. I'm not sure I'd want to put my name on it.

It relies greatly on numbers reported by countries with dubious testing protocols: in Asia, Africa, South America. Which is why I went with Australia.
It seems to talk about absolute numbers of cases when many of those countries are just probably behind in the contagion wave. I'd use growth instead for such a comparison, which eliminates that variable.

I hope they are correct, since the Spanish summer is really hot by June and it gets considerably warmer in May already. But I can't really put much faith in this study in particular.

Totally anecdotical and might be many other factors in play (the fact the Canary Islands are, well, islands), but the warmer parts of the country (Canary Islands, Andalucia) have seen a much less explosive expansion of the virus.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on March 23, 2020, 04:37:59 AM
Is anyone else getting the impression we are living in somebody's horrible monkeys paw wish?
"I wish for a job where I can work remotely every day!" - a something I have long yearned for... Only in the wish its travelling the world that I do it.
:lol:

Get well soon Zoups! :hug:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

33,089 confirmed cases (+16%), 2,182 dead (+27%), 2,355 UCI cases (+32%), 3,355 recovered

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on March 23, 2020, 05:40:27 AM
33,089 confirmed cases (+16%), 2,182 dead (+27%), 2,355 UCI cases (+32%), 3,355 recovered

That's slightly better, no?

celedhring

We've been trending +30% increases in dead/UCI admissions for the past few days. In theory, this should be the worst week as people that got infected right before the quarantine went into effect develop symptoms.

celedhring

On a lighter note, beer sales are up +78%

I admit I'm drinking more booze than I used to.

Sheilbh

Erm. The President has been tweeting:
QuoteWE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!

:mellow: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Prompt rétablissement Zoupa ! Coronavirus détecté tôt et traité, ça devrait aller. :)

Saw two idiots jogging side by side in the street just outside my building, that's near the Arc de Triomphe.  :frusty:

This is why we'll end up with more restrictions and the Conseil d'État is about to cancel the tolerance for jogging.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2020, 06:28:57 AM
Erm. The President has been tweeting:
QuoteWE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!

:mellow: :ph34r:

Probably when his trial period of Disney+ runs out. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Get well, Zoups. 

Take some comfort in the thought that you probably gave it to your idiot boss, generous guy that you are.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Woah, get well soon Zoupa.

On the lighter side, first company-wide e-mail I got this morning started: "This is not an e-mail concerning COVID-19."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 23, 2020, 06:35:08 AM
Prompt rétablissement Zoupa ! Coronavirus détecté tôt et traité, ça devrait aller. :)

Saw two idiots jogging side by side in the street just outside my building, that's near the Arc de Triomphe.  :frusty:

This is why we'll end up with more restrictions and the Conseil d'État is about to cancel the tolerance for jogging.

What if they were from the same household?

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2020, 07:00:26 AM
Take some comfort in the thought that you probably gave it to your idiot boss, generous guy that you are.

:D

Get well Z.

Maladict

Hair salons are closing en masse today, even though the government insists they can remain open.  :rolleyes: