News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

There are some proper idiots in this country:

UK residents have been told that "essential travel" does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks, whether for isolation purposes or holidays and that they should remain in their primary residence.

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport updated its guidance to avoid non-essential travel in the UK, saying: "This guidance is for people planning to visit second homes or holiday premises during the coronavirus pandemic.

"Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People should remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk."

The update follows a wave of people travelling to rural and remote areas to self-isolate. The trend has been condemned by Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, who underlined that it meant "extra pressure on essential services and on health services that are already more distant from people". Similarly, Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price has said self-isolaters should be prohibited from travelling to rural parts of Wales during the crisis.
:bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on March 22, 2020, 03:56:40 PM
Judging by Australia the heat doesn't seem to matter much. Though it's still early days and other variables could be at play (mostly testing).

Haven't read it - it looks like humidity might matter more? Heat and humidity, they think - based on data from 100 Chinese cities - affects transmission. So this is their projection on the impact it has:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

In more positive news, France is launching European clinical trials :w00t: :frog:
https://presse.inserm.fr/en/launch-of-a-european-clinical-trial-against-covid-19/38737/

Looking at a number of treatments with 3,200 patients from Belgium, France, Germany Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and the UK.

Hopefully something positive soon.
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2020, 05:40:33 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 22, 2020, 03:56:40 PM
Judging by Australia the heat doesn't seem to matter much. Though it's still early days and other variables could be at play (mostly testing).

Haven't read it - it looks like humidity might matter more? Heat and humidity, they think - based on data from 100 Chinese cities - affects transmission. So this is their projection on the impact it has:

I was curious enough to read the paper. I'm not sure I'd want to put my name on it.

It relies greatly on numbers reported by countries with dubious testing protocols: in Asia, Africa, South America. Which is why I went with Australia.
It seems to talk about absolute numbers of cases when many of those countries are just probably behind in the contagion wave. I'd use growth instead for such a comparison, which eliminates that variable.

I hope they are correct, since the Spanish summer is really hot by June and it gets considerably warmer in May already. But I can't really put much faith in this study in particular.

Josephus

I think it will come to a point in some countries, possibly even the U.S., that the gov't will have to declare martial law and shoot or imprison people acting idiotically.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Can't remember where I saw the story, sorry if already mentioned here.  A hospital employee in Italy tested positive, told to self-quarantine, then went shopping for food.  He was fined 5,000 euros.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2020, 05:37:07 PM
There are some proper idiots in this country:

UK residents have been told that "essential travel" does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks, whether for isolation purposes or holidays and that they should remain in their primary residence.

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport updated its guidance to avoid non-essential travel in the UK, saying: "This guidance is for people planning to visit second homes or holiday premises during the coronavirus pandemic.

"Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People should remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk."

The update follows a wave of people travelling to rural and remote areas to self-isolate. The trend has been condemned by Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, who underlined that it meant "extra pressure on essential services and on health services that are already more distant from people". Similarly, Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price has said self-isolaters should be prohibited from travelling to rural parts of Wales during the crisis.
:bleeding:

Attention Dorsey, please read.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 22, 2020, 07:03:40 PM
I think it will come to a point in some countries, possibly even the U.S., that the gov't will have to declare martial law and shoot or imprison people acting idiotically.

Rita bit scary thinking about Trumpists being given the power to round people up.

Fate

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2020, 06:07:12 PM
In more positive news, France is launching European clinical trials :w00t: :frog:
https://presse.inserm.fr/en/launch-of-a-european-clinical-trial-against-covid-19/38737/

Looking at a number of treatments with 3,200 patients from Belgium, France, Germany Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and the UK.

Hopefully something positive soon.

Looks like a well designed trial. Hopefully they have an interim report in a month or so showing positive results. The US is starting a major one in NYC on Tuesday.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2020, 07:10:08 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 22, 2020, 07:03:40 PM

Rita bit scary thinking about Trumpists being given the power to round people up.

I said earlier I was scared.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Monoriu

Lots of HK students who were studying in the West came back to HK, and they were told to isolate themselves at home for 14 days.  They then immediately went outside to have their favourite food in HK, then post their exploits in Instagram.  Some public health professors saw their posts, and reported them to police  :ph34r: