News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Latest FT tables - the US still seems the most striking/alarming trendlines. Fatalities:

And new cases:

Also interesting is this tracker of other countries - Turkey and Luxembourg (any idea why Benelux posters?) look alarming. Seems like it does spread more slowly in hot or humid countries which matches a study by, I think MIT, on data from China - hopefully it's true as that will help the Northern hemisphere in the next few months:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2020, 02:42:39 PM
My dad's retirement place has banned visitors, but allows residents to come and go.  Which is maybe not the brightest.

I think it reflects a broader attitude: that disease is something other people bring in, which is why you must police other people from the outside. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

PDH

It's nice that Russia is not getting too many cases of covid-19.  However, it is a shame that a lot more Russians are suddenly dying of severe flu like symptoms.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on March 22, 2020, 11:48:51 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2020, 10:32:12 AM
Quote from: merithyn on March 22, 2020, 10:13:23 AM
My neighbors had a party last night. Probably 30-40 people in the yard, dancing, drinking, etc. I saw them as I walked the dog.

Gods help us all, because we're sure as hell not helping ourselves.

We had people packing into our beaches and parks yesterday-nice warm spring day, what could go wrong?

Life. Life could go wrong.

All beaches and out door recreation areas now closed.  People can't be trusted to stay 2m apart while enjoying the wide open spaces.

Their was a story in the NYtimes about a bunch of climbing idiots congregating at a popular climbing spot.  Thought of our own resident idiot.

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2020, 03:32:12 PM
Also interesting is this tracker of other countries - Turkey and Luxembourg (any idea why Benelux posters?) look alarming. Seems like it does spread more slowly in hot or humid countries which matches a study by, I think MIT, on data from China - hopefully it's true as that will help the Northern hemisphere in the next few months:

Judging by Australia the heat doesn't seem to matter much. Though it's still early days and other variables could be at play (mostly testing).

Josquius

The US cases are all concentrated in NYC right?
Americas lower population density should help it a lot. I wonder whether state quarantines could be the way forward?
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: Tyr on March 22, 2020, 04:04:14 PM
The US cases are all concentrated in NYC right?
Americas lower population density should help it a lot. I wonder whether state quarantines could be the way forward?

Half in NY, the rest are spread throughout America, I'm afraid.

Though it is true that a lot of smaller towns might escape unscathed. If they can avoid their former residents to come back, that is.

Admiral Yi

Oh cool, if you move your cursor over a state it gives you the number of cases, plus other stuff.

Liep

Quote from: Iormlund on March 22, 2020, 03:56:40 PM

Judging by Australia the heat doesn't seem to matter much. Though it's still early days and other variables could be at play (mostly testing).

Weather in Melbourne and other parts of Australia can be pretty shitty.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2020, 04:10:51 PM
Color map of US, state by state.

You can also use the one produced by Johns Hopkins. It is updated frequently - almost in real time.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

It's snowing again here.  If I see one frog drop from the sky or even a trace of red in the tap water, I'm dropping to my knees and going full Jesus.

merithyn

Those are all worthless numbers, though. The US isn't testing. I mean, no where near at the rate of other places.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2020, 04:57:24 PM
It's snowing again here.  If I see one frog drop from the sky or even a trace of red in the tap water, I'm dropping to my knees and going full Jesus.

We're going to find out that there is an Old Mexican named Moses standing outside one of the detainment centers with a sign that says "Let my People Go"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017