News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Pretty devastating Trump supercut from the Bulwark. We can't let him rewrite history.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1240295593483726848

And it's going to get so much worse from here.

Sheilbh

Also this on the Fox News pivot:
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1240131226268323842?s=20

Edit: Retail data company says sales at bars, pubs, cafes and restaurant in the UK were down 70% last week - so it looks like people are doing as they're told, which is good. Although obviously that's a sign of the economic impact - that's huge and it's a big sector of our economy.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2020, 10:12:49 AM
I bought a six pack of Corona. Because I'm silly like that. Then I have two bootles of white wine, two bottles of red wine. And a homemade Italian liquor that my uncle brought me from Milan *before* the outbreak.

Think I'm set for booze.

My drink of choice these days is a homemade mint liquour that a friend of mine gifted me this summer for my birthday. When I feel like it, I take a shot or two before going to bed. Besides that I have two or three bottles of wine and a couple more liquour, and an assorted amount of beers in the fridge, and I don't drink much anyway.

Normally in my group of friends we always meet up for beers on thursdays, so we might try to do an online version tomorrow.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on March 18, 2020, 10:18:44 AM
I usually keep about 30 bottles of white wine at home.

You might be an alcoholic.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2020, 10:43:27 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2020, 10:12:49 AM
I bought a six pack of Corona. Because I'm silly like that. Then I have two bootles of white wine, two bottles of red wine. And a homemade Italian liquor that my uncle brought me from Milan *before* the outbreak.

Think I'm set for booze.

My drink of choice these days is a homemade mint liquour that a friend of mine gifted me this summer for my birthday. When I feel like it, I take a shot or two before going to bed. Besides that I have two or three bottles of wine and a couple more liquour, and an assorted amount of beers in the fridge, and I don't drink much anyway.

Normally in my group of friends we always meet up for beers on thursdays, so we might try to do an online version tomorrow.

Yeah, we're setting up an online version of our Sunday meetups, too. Need to find ways to keep sane.

Sheilbh

I've also signed up to that online board game arena - never played with my friends but I know some of them are into board games. Yeah. Important to stay sane and connected (imagine these rules even a decade ago before Netflix, say, or Facetime :ph34r:).

Edit: Rumours that London will be locked down on Friday - not sure if that's when it'll be announced or when it'll be imposed. This must be because we're ahead of the rest of the country in terms of cases.

Edit: Also medical students being graduated early and fast-tracked to hospitals:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/medical-students-fast-tracked
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 11:00:16 AM
Edit: Also medical students being graduated early and fast-tracked to hospitals:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/medical-students-fast-tracked

Yeah, they're doing the same here.

I enlisted joined a local volunteer group. I don't have any useful (i.e. health care related) skill, but hopefully I can do something to help (with the additional benefit of having a valid reason to leave my apartment)

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 18, 2020, 10:32:19 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2020, 08:58:49 AM
Good stuff from the BBC, but also they needs to be more opportunities for sheer escapism from the enveloping crisis.

Not sure I could cope with any more public health advise programmes.

So not the time for Threads and the War Game to relativise?

No Duque, just watch this classic BBC instead:

Quote from: mongers on March 17, 2020, 08:54:29 AM
Another recommendation, the 'Survivors' a BBC 1970s TV series about a virus/plague killing the vast majority of people, well worth watching the first episode on youtube has it has some eerie echoes of last few days here.

https://youtu.be/zAyjkaFYnzE
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fromtia

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 10:38:45 AM

The Fox News coverage and Nectarine Nero in the Whitehouse were two of the most bizarre aspects of this for me. Its not enough that a scene shiftingly surreal and disturbing event decided to arrive, but that Fox and the President were busy telling everyone that it was just the flu, the latest libtard hoax. Thank heavens Tucker Carlson, or someone at Fox came to their senses last week and the Whitehouse dutifully followed.

Bit late though, the determined "it's just the flu" thing is still vividly alive on social media with otherwise sensible people still putting the word pandemic in parentheses, fulminating about the deep state takeover and so on. Probably going to make things a lot worse.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on March 18, 2020, 08:47:52 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 08:45:45 AM
Wales has, I believe, closed all schools.

Oh wales. :(

Interesting how Scotland and wales are proving the more sensible parts of the UK.
Again :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on March 18, 2020, 11:18:23 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 10:38:45 AM

The Fox News coverage and Nectarine Nero in the Whitehouse were two of the most bizarre aspects of this for me. Its not enough that a scene shiftingly surreal and disturbing event decided to arrive, but that Fox and the President were busy telling everyone that it was just the flu, the latest libtard hoax. Thank heavens Tucker Carlson, or someone at Fox came to their senses last week and the Whitehouse dutifully followed.

Bit late though, the determined "it's just the flu" thing is still vividly alive on social media with otherwise sensible people still putting the word pandemic in parentheses, fulminating about the deep state takeover and so on. Probably going to make things a lot worse.

What's interesting is these social media delusions won't last long up against a real world test ie the coronavirus.

Pity they'll end up infecting and killing other people through their own stupidity though.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: fromtia on March 18, 2020, 11:18:23 AM

The polling on this is insane - there's a partisan gap in the US on whether to take coronavirus seriously or not (and whether coronavirus was made in a lab or is natural, weirdly). I don't think I've seen similar in any other country.

That will have consequences in how people are behaving and the risk they're taking with other people's health. It's a disgrace.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

32 more deaths in the UK which is a more than 50% increase on yesterday. As I say our death figures are really, really concerning.

Also about 600 new cases which is a little bit above trend.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2020, 11:18:06 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 18, 2020, 10:32:19 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2020, 08:58:49 AM
Good stuff from the BBC, but also they needs to be more opportunities for sheer escapism from the enveloping crisis.

Not sure I could cope with any more public health advise programmes.

So not the time for Threads and the War Game to relativise?

No Duque, just watch this classic BBC instead:

Quote from: mongers on March 17, 2020, 08:54:29 AM
Another recommendation, the 'Survivors' a BBC 1970s TV series about a virus/plague killing the vast majority of people, well worth watching the first episode on youtube has it has some eerie echoes of last few days here.

https://youtu.be/zAyjkaFYnzE

Posted earlier but did not watch it yet. Plenty of time so no hurry.
:thumbsup:

Queueing at the supermarket was almost non-existent in the late afternoon. Went there for 3 more cases of Bordeaux, a few beers and TP. Only 6 rolls, with only 1.5 in reserve left at my place so probably not enough for Monoriu's standards.