News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 05:01:14 AM
Sainsbury's have introduced rationing. Maximum of three item across all groceries, plus they're introducing "silver hour" for elderly shoppers and priority access for the elderly to delivery services.

Went to a Sainsbury's this morning, incidentally. Seemed like the island has been under Nazi blockade the past month.

Stupid fucking people will create the apocalypse they are preparing for, themselves.

Camerus

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2020, 04:06:37 PM
And now received an email that GOA employees should be prepared to start working from home.  Obviously given that only some trials have been cancelled I'm still going to be going to work somewhat, so we'll see what that looks like.

Alberta Public Service Commission bungled it. They ordered their employees (even those perfectly capable of working from home) to keep coming to the office long after Alberta's Chief Public Health Officer was advising not to and then kept many staff in the dark about what was going on. Jason Kenney's declaration of a public health emergency gave the PSC a convenient way to reverse policy without losing too much face, but I suspect media articles like the CBC's criticizingwhat they were doing also played a role in the sudden about face.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5500504

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on March 18, 2020, 12:07:03 AM
I wanted to wear a mask at work. My boss said no, it sends the wrong message.  :huh:

So no alcohol or disinfectant gel, don't wear masks, business as usual. We are literally the front line at pharmacies, since the special phone number set up by the gvt has a 3 hour wait time, so people show up at the store, where no employees are protected.

Nobody respects the 1-2 meter social distancing. Nobody stays indoor as requested. I had a fucking idiot cough on me not once but twice to "show me his cough". Dude was running a fever, and "could it have anything to do with my brother who just got back from Spain?"

Basically, we're fucked, unless the cops and army enforce this thing. Also, it was nice knowing y'all, since that moron probably infected me, and since I wasn't wearing a mask (think of the message it sends!) I will probably infect every single medication vial I touch for the next few weeks, indirectly killing people since half our patients are over 70.

Let's think of the image of the business in a pandemic  :wacko:

And why the fuck do we still sell cosmetics at this time? I had to insist maybe to stop displaying the lipstick samples that a gazillion of people have touched. Humans are fucking retarded. I almost welcome this plague.

:o :frusty:

celedhring

Quote from: Camerus on March 18, 2020, 05:56:22 AM
I wonder what impact all this will have on the US-Mexican border? Trumpists may finally get something close to the level of border enforcement they've been dreaming about.

At this rate it will be the Mexicans demanding it.

+18% case increase today in Spain to 13,700 infected. Again not a terrible number %wise but our health authorities are pretty upfront that testing is lagging behind and they are stepping it up in the following days. Deaths are up 5% to 558. However, there's been a surge of UCI cases and we are now at 778. We had 4,400 UCI beds (total) before the crisis. They have expanded capacity (i.e. using post-surgery beds, which have oxygen lines) but dunno where it stands now. 

Sheilbh

My friend who works in the NHS (on data and tech stuff!) has had to do a skills assesment for redeployment. And apparently she's being moved into the team that's helping coordinate respiratory nurses and beds across London.

Also I've an acquaintance who's a mental health nurse, she's being moved to help the general nursing teams.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Next Tesco delivery slot available...8th April.

It would appear that the current main effect of the crisis for me will be to increase my normal exposure around town as I am forced to go shopping.

But then, apparently before the crisis only 7% of groceries were ordered online so this shouldn't really be surprising.

Also, the ward has a lot of supernumerary health assistants etc. on duty today, being trained in the basics of patient care (washing around dressings etc.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

celedhring

Quote from: Agelastus on March 18, 2020, 06:16:42 AM

It would appear that the current main effect of the crisis for me will be to increase my normal exposure around town as I am forced to go shopping.

But then, apparently before the crisis only 7% of groceries were ordered online so this shouldn't really be surprising.

Also, the ward has a lot of supernumerary health assistants etc. on duty today, being trained in the basics of patient care (washing around dressings etc.)

Yeah, delivery slots are so full that my parents have to walk to the (tiny) neighborhood grocer. I'm thinking of doing a supply run for them and just leave it at the door.

Josephus

Quote from: Monoriu on March 17, 2020, 10:21:42 PM
I have more than 120 rolls of toilet paper right now :yeah:

can you send me one?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Conservative Chancellor Kurz increases the financial support for businesses. "The state must save in good times to be able to spend in bad times."

If only Keynes were a live. :P

(Yes, I know, that's are duction of anti-cyclical economic policy ad absurdum, but I found it still funny. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Agelastus on March 18, 2020, 06:16:42 AM

They certainly don't seem to be upping their delivery capacity quick enough. Surely this is to be a big source of income for all chains in the rest of the year.

Sheilbh

UK testing seems to be close to the 10,000 target (7,500 in the last 24 hours apparently) with a new aim of getting it up to 25,000 a day - which will be good because it seems really key.

Also sounds like a colleague of mine (who is self-isolating) has caught it. Mentioned that it's like a bad cold/flu but with real breathing difficulties too.

Edit: Two other supermarkets have introduced rationing of certain products.

Also a few gin and beer distilleries have started producing hand sanitiser for free distribution - a la LVMH.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 17, 2020, 10:24:02 PM
I can't decide whether it it because you are an asshole, or because you are full of shit.

It's not that much, it's only 3 packs @ Costco.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 07:19:36 AM
UK testing seems to be close to the 10,000 target (7,500 in the last 24 hours apparently) with a new aim of getting it up to 25,000 a day - which will be good because it seems really key.

Also sounds like a colleague of mine (who is self-isolating) has caught it. Mentioned that it's like a bad cold/flu but with real breathing difficulties too.

Edit: Two other supermarkets have introduced rationing of certain products.

Also a few gin and beer distilleries have started producing hand sanitiser for free distribution - a la LVMH.

I am a bit worried it will be tough to judge when to seek help in the hospital. I would like to avoid adding to the overburden if/when I catch it, I am also not keen on being kept in a room with other cases if I can help it, but I ain't keen ending up in the ICU because I waited too long, either.