News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Barber shops and salons in Kentucky were ordered closed last night.  Perhaps I shall grow a mullet now. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: Zoupa on March 18, 2020, 12:07:03 AM
I wanted to wear a mask at work. My boss said no, it sends the wrong message.  :huh:

So no alcohol or disinfectant gel, don't wear masks, business as usual. We are literally the front line at pharmacies, since the special phone number set up by the gvt has a 3 hour wait time, so people show up at the store, where no employees are protected.

Nobody respects the 1-2 meter social distancing. Nobody stays indoor as requested. I had a fucking idiot cough on me not once but twice to "show me his cough". Dude was running a fever, and "could it have anything to do with my brother who just got back from Spain?"

Basically, we're fucked, unless the cops and army enforce this thing. Also, it was nice knowing y'all, since that moron probably infected me, and since I wasn't wearing a mask (think of the message it sends!) I will probably infect every single medication vial I touch for the next few weeks, indirectly killing people since half our patients are over 70.

Let's think of the image of the business in a pandemic  :wacko:

And why the fuck do we still sell cosmetics at this time? I had to insist maybe to stop displaying the lipstick samples that a gazillion of people have touched. Humans are fucking retarded. I almost welcome this plague.

I think that situations like this crisis deserve flipping out to your boss so they get that it's no time for pussyfooting.

The Larch

Quote from: Monoriu on March 17, 2020, 10:47:56 PM
I also hoard bottled water, tissue boxes, tissue packets, medicines, instant noodles, hygiene products, rice, pasta, cooking oil, alcoholic wipes, canned ham, canned soup, frozen meat, frozen dumplings, soap, and a lot of other stuff that I am too lazy to list :yeah:

Pretty sure I have 50 boxes of tissue and 7kg of rice.

When shit hits the fan, whoever loots your appartment will really hit the jackpot.

11B4V

Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2020, 07:49:02 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 18, 2020, 12:07:03 AM
I wanted to wear a mask at work. My boss said no, it sends the wrong message.  :huh:

So no alcohol or disinfectant gel, don't wear masks, business as usual. We are literally the front line at pharmacies, since the special phone number set up by the gvt has a 3 hour wait time, so people show up at the store, where no employees are protected.

Nobody respects the 1-2 meter social distancing. Nobody stays indoor as requested. I had a fucking idiot cough on me not once but twice to "show me his cough". Dude was running a fever, and "could it have anything to do with my brother who just got back from Spain?"

Basically, we're fucked, unless the cops and army enforce this thing. Also, it was nice knowing y'all, since that moron probably infected me, and since I wasn't wearing a mask (think of the message it sends!) I will probably infect every single medication vial I touch for the next few weeks, indirectly killing people since half our patients are over 70.

Let's think of the image of the business in a pandemic  :wacko:

And why the fuck do we still sell cosmetics at this time? I had to insist maybe to stop displaying the lipstick samples that a gazillion of people have touched. Humans are fucking retarded. I almost welcome this plague.

I think that situations like this crisis deserve flipping out to your boss so they get that it's no time for pussyfooting.

Man, that's sad Zoupa.

I'm a SD Nazi at work with my 120 or so offers. I started three weeks ago and they finally got it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

My local university hospital is running trials with an old TB vaccine, which may offer increased resistance against Covid.

Sheilbh

Extraordinary announcement by the BBC (and showing the value of having a public service broadcaster :wub:):
QuoteBREAKING BBC plans for the coronavirus:
- New show "Health Check Live" with advice for how to stay healthy at home if you are in isolation.
- 5 Live doing as many phone-ins with experts as possible.
- Virtual church services launching on BBC One on Sunday mornings...
- The One Show content will be skewed towards health and well-being, healthy eating and fitness tips.
- Virtual church services on BBC Local Radio across England.
- BBC Food website to offer what can be made with essentials, including low income families / older people.
If schools close.... BBC also announcing a daily educational show for key stages and year groups on iPlayer, expanding BBC Bitesize, educational podcasts etc and BBC Four doing shows on A Level and GCSE curriculum.
- BBC also announcing MANY shows returns to BBC iPlayer: Spooks, The Missing, Waking the Dead and more.
- Radio 4 is digging into their archive of drama.
- BBC Sounds expanding classic spirt, comedy and drama and allowing audiences to search through their archive.
- "We will aim to create live fund-raising events, to raise money for coronavirus good causes.:
- BBC proposing "Culture in Quarantine" - keeping arts alive in homes, working with Arts Culture England and more including access to musicians, plays, comedy and more from home.
- "Under the umbrella 'Make a Difference', every local radio station will join up with local volunteer groups to help co-ordinate support for the elderly, house-bound or at risk, making sure people know what help is available in their area."
Tony Hall: "We also will do everything from using our airwaves for exercise classes for older people, religious services, recipes and advice on food for older people and low income families, and should schools close, education programming for different age groups."
BBC announces its mission:
"Our core role is to bring trusted news and information to audiences in the UK and around the world in a fast-moving situation, and counter confusion and misinformation."
MORE: Coronavirus Podcast will be filmed and shown on TV / Red Button closure delayed / BBC homepage showing clearest info / Archbishop of Canterbury will lead first local radio church service in England across local radio stations.
- New iPlayer service for Children.
- Newsround 'throughout the day' on CBBC.
- "We will work with partners to get older-age-group exercise routines, and other fitness programming, into people's homes on TV or radio."
- All soaps suspended
- BBC News moved to "Core" service"
This won't all start immediately as it'll be subject to broadcast capacity and need time to develop/implement. But it's an incredible set of moves - in one morning the BBC's kind of changed it's approach or strategy or whatever more than I think it has in my entire life :lol: :blink:

Also for people who listen to Mayo and Kermode's podcast - that will continue, but it'll be focusing on films that are available on iPlayer or Netflix etc.

Edit: Between the National Trust's announcement and the BBC's this whole thing is going to turn me into a small-c cultural conservative :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Iormlund

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2020, 07:33:09 AM
Barber shops and salons in Kentucky were ordered closed last night.  Perhaps I shall grow a mullet now. :cool:

I'm thinking of shaving the head with the beard trimmer when the hair gets too long. It's not like anyone is going to see it. :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on March 18, 2020, 08:42:48 AM

I'm thinking of shaving the head with the beard trimmer when the hair gets too long. It's not like anyone is going to see it. :P
This is a real issue for me - I've been in the house for more or less 7 weeks due to an unrelated injury. I really need a haircut - but I'm fairly sure in the wider context of the world that's probably "non-essential" :ph34r:

Looks like England will be moving to "skeleton schools" for key workers, all other kids told to go home. Wales has, I believe, closed all schools.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Deaths from road accidents in Spain drop 85% in the first two days of quarantine  :hmm:

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on March 18, 2020, 08:42:48 AM

Right now is the best moment to experiment with bizarre looks. Biker moustache, you say?  :hmm:

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 08:34:05 AM
Extraordinary announcement by the BBC (and showing the value of having a public service broadcaster :wub:):
This won't all start immediately as it'll be subject to broadcast capacity and need time to develop/implement. But it's an incredible set of moves - in one morning the BBC's kind of changed it's approach or strategy or whatever more than I think it has in my entire life :lol: :blink:

Also for people who listen to Mayo and Kermode's podcast - that will continue, but it'll be focusing on films that are available on iPlayer or Netflix etc.

Edit: Between the National Trust's announcement and the BBC's this whole thing is going to turn me into a small-c cultural conservative :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN0ixdOsrY0

:P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring