News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Good stuff from the BBC, but also they needs to be more opportunities for sheer escapism from the enveloping crisis.

Not sure I could cope with any more public health advise programmes. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

BBC is playing its role as a public broadcaster. It's hardly the only choice for entertainment.

Our public channels are also running loads of PSAs.

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2020, 08:58:49 AM
Good stuff from the BBC, but also they needs to be more opportunities for sheer escapism from the enveloping crisis.

Not sure I could cope with any more public health advise programmes.
Hopefully that'll be why they're trawling the archives to put all the old stuff up on iPlayer. They can't really do any new escapism :lol:

And at the end of this I will have watched approximately 200 hours of Silent Witness and Prime Suspect :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Nice job by the BBC.

Apart from the hoarding which seems to be reaching dangerous levels, people and organisations seem to have been acting responsibly overall.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2020, 08:48:33 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 18, 2020, 08:42:48 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2020, 07:33:09 AM
Barber shops and salons in Kentucky were ordered closed last night.  Perhaps I shall grow a mullet now. :cool:

I'm thinking of shaving the head with the beard trimmer when the hair gets too long. It's not like anyone is going to see it. :P

Right now is the best moment to experiment with bizarre looks. Biker moustache, you say?  :hmm:

I think Ms. CC is looking forward to seeing me with long hair again  :D

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 18, 2020, 09:05:37 AM
Nice job by the BBC.

Apart from the hoarding which seems to be reaching dangerous levels, people and organisations seem to have been acting responsibly overall.
I have to go to the shop later and so help me if anyone (apart from me) is hoarding fruit and herbal teas :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on March 18, 2020, 07:32:20 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 07:19:36 AM
UK testing seems to be close to the 10,000 target (7,500 in the last 24 hours apparently) with a new aim of getting it up to 25,000 a day - which will be good because it seems really key.

Also sounds like a colleague of mine (who is self-isolating) has caught it. Mentioned that it's like a bad cold/flu but with real breathing difficulties too.

Edit: Two other supermarkets have introduced rationing of certain products.

Also a few gin and beer distilleries have started producing hand sanitiser for free distribution - a la LVMH.

I am a bit worried it will be tough to judge when to seek help in the hospital. I would like to avoid adding to the overburden if/when I catch it, I am also not keen on being kept in a room with other cases if I can help it, but I ain't keen ending up in the ICU because I waited too long, either.

Here is a handy questionnaire to help with that

https://covid19.thrive.health/

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 09:08:53 AM
Nice job by the BBC.

I have to go to the shop later and so help me if anyone (apart from me) is hoarding fruit and herbal teas :ultra:

Ms. CC is going now.  The harder things get the more resilient she becomes.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 09:08:53 AM
Nice job by the BBC.

Good luck Shelf, but I fear you'll be disappointed, yesterday in sainsbury's here nearly all of the canned fruit and tea isles were empty, didn't even bother looking in the fruit and veg sections.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

So, tomorrow is father's day in Spain, and a public holiday over here. I think my parents really want me to go have lunch with them, and I could take the opportunity to do some grocery shopping in advance on their behalf. Good idea? Bad idea?  :hmm:

Josephus

Looks like the longest undefended border is about to close to non-essential travel. :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 18, 2020, 09:26:05 AM
Looks like the longest undefended border is about to close to non-essential travel. :huh:

Trade not affected.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2020, 09:25:07 AM
So, tomorrow is father¡s day in Spain, and a public holiday over here. I think my parents really want me to go have lunch with them, and I could take the opportunity to do some grocery shopping in advance on their behalf. Good idea? Bad idea?  :hmm:

Go get groceries and leave it at the door for them to take into their home.  You can wear gloves so you don't touch the things you are getting for them.

crazy canuck

EI now available effectively available for everyone who cannot work.  Also wage subsidies available to small businesses.  Payment of taxes deferred to August but still need to file return.

Student loan payments suspended for six months

Lots of other measures