UK Parliamentary General Election 8th June 2017

Started by mongers, April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, the size of her majority will determine her authority. If it is 100 or so, still a possibility, then she will have a pretty clear run I think; for good or ill.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 24, 2017, 08:45:53 AM
Kinda thought I'd score higher with UKIP.

You have to remember that they appeal to Labour voters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: garbon on May 24, 2017, 08:40:34 AM
I'm confused, was there a thought that Labour was suddenly going to win? Isn't it just that polls were now suggesting Conservatives wouldn't win as big as initially hoped? (Before this incident)

Yep, but there was certainly some momentum behind Labour. We had the dementia tax furore and a U-turn by Theresa. For the first time in years, the Tories were on the defensive and Labour looked united. If it had carried on, could have been looking a small Tory majority or even a hung Parliament ( super unlikely IMO but just about plausible)

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on May 22, 2017, 04:02:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2017, 03:43:17 PM
Despite not being aligned with either the Democratic Unionists nor Sinn Fein I would be most at home in Northern Ireland :unsure:

Did you vote for beheading the monarchy and aristocrats?

Well of course. That probably made me seem like a likely Sinn Fein voter :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Gups on May 24, 2017, 10:14:32 AM
I'm confused, was there a thought that Labour was suddenly going to win? Isn't it just that polls were now suggesting Conservatives wouldn't win as big as initially hoped? (Before this incident)

Yep, but there was certainly some momentum behind Labour. We had the dementia tax furore and a U-turn by Theresa. For the first time in years, the Tories were on the defensive and Labour looked united. If it had carried on, could have been looking a small Tory majority or even a hung Parliament ( super unlikely IMO but just about plausible)

Indeed.

This outrage might well significantly change the subject matter and trajectory of the campaign.

Just 14 full campaigning days now left.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on May 24, 2017, 10:44:08 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 22, 2017, 04:02:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2017, 03:43:17 PM
Despite not being aligned with either the Democratic Unionists nor Sinn Fein I would be most at home in Northern Ireland :unsure:

Did you vote for beheading the monarchy and aristocrats?

Well of course. That probably made me seem like a likely Sinn Fein voter :P

I did too; so I thought that might be why I ended up in Northern Ireland as well.

I see by British standards I'm a raving globalist, a pacifist, a progressive and soft on crime. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Quote from: Gups on May 24, 2017, 10:14:32 AM

Do you all not have tightening of races generally? Or is it one side just starts pulling away in the polls as you lead into the general election?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: Gups on May 24, 2017, 02:14:43 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 24, 2017, 01:42:16 AM
I'm certain that this has been positive for May and the Tories. Corbyn was actually gaining some traction, this process has now been interrupted.

Absolutely. Not only has the momentum been interrupted but law & order/security has always been a Tory strongpoint. It doesn't help that Corbyn is rightly perceived as soft on terrorism. Coincidentally, there was a lot of press about his views on the IRA at the weekend. We'll also be reminded about his opposition to any kind of shoot to kill policy following the Paris attacks (although he rowed back on that)

Well, the first poll with field work undertaken since the attacks suggests that I'm completely wrong. Yougov showing Tory lead cut to 5 points with Labour at 38%. I'm surprised - be interesting to see if it's an outlier or not.

Tamas

Funny thing is, what a close victory means is all faint hope for a soft brexit gone - we don't know if May even wants one but she won't be able to get it if the nazi rebels in her party can de facto control her due to a low majority.

And it's not like Corbyn will do any opposing - he will be right back fighting the inside opposition in his party, rolling over to whatever May wants, as it was the case before the election.

Richard Hakluyt

An interesting and very unpredictable election. Tory campaign has been dreadful in my view, have they any positive policies?

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 26, 2017, 05:04:58 AM
An interesting and very unpredictable election. Tory campaign has been dreadful in my view, have they any positive policies?

Blue passports?

Josquius

And it seems the Tories have followed the advice from the 11th September attacks and exploited the situation to release some more details about their manifesto... for instance that their stuff about free school breakfasts was based on a calculation of 7p a meal.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas