UK Parliamentary General Election 8th June 2017

Started by mongers, April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Funny thing is, during the election, May loved to say (and very rightly so) that Labour thought there's a "magic money tree" where the money for their planned spending would be coming from.

Then as it turns out, she can easily pull a billion extra pounds down from that tree when her own survival is at stake.

Zanza

QuoteThe £1 billion Theresa May spent on votes of ten Ulster MPs could have replaced all flammable cladding on country's high flats – twice

Ouch

Tamas

When your entire political message is about the need to reduce public spending, suddenly spending a billion pounds on your own political survival is controversial, to say the least.

Just like how the American political cast fumbled Trump into th presidency, do will glaring Tory ineptitude and recklessness will put a communist useful idiot into No.10

garbon

Entire? :huh:

Anyway, your last two posts are basically the same post. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2017, 08:11:20 AM
Funny thing is, during the election, May loved to say (and very rightly so) that Labour thought there's a "magic money tree" where the money for their planned spending would be coming from.

Then as it turns out, she can easily pull a billion extra pounds down from that tree when her own survival is at stake.

Something similar is happening here in BC.  The right of centre government lost its majority in a recent election and in an effort to put off a non confidence vote they started promising all kinds of spending initiatives which they said could not be afforded during the election.  All for naught, as they are going to lose a confidence vote - likely tomorrow.

Gups

While it looks pretty grubby, I'm really not sure what choice there was. Nobody wants another election; no other party is offering to support the Tories; no other coalition is possible.

£1bn over two years is chicken feed really in the scheme of things.

mongers

Quote from: Gups on June 28, 2017, 09:31:00 AM
While it looks pretty grubby, I'm really not sure what choice there was. Nobody wants another election; no other party is offering to support the Tories; no other coalition is possible.

Well a £1,000 million political bribe on top of an unnecessary £130 million pound election, seems a big bill for the country to pay for someone's vanity project and desire for political power.

If she's shown such disastrous political skills and choice on those two matters, what other terrible decisions might she make on another key decision?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Georges Pompidou's vanity project cost about that. But at least France got a weird looking museum out of the deal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2017, 10:59:15 AM
Georges Pompidou's vanity project cost about that. But at least France got a weird looking museum out of the deal.

If by weird looking, you mean butt ugly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on June 28, 2017, 10:46:00 AM

Well a £1,000 million political bribe on top of an unnecessary £130 million pound election, seems a big bill for the country to pay for someone's vanity project and desire for political power.

If she's shown such disastrous political skills and choice on those two matters, what other terrible decisions might she make on another key decision?  :hmm:

The government is pretty terrible for sure. Which is another reason for marveling at Labour's inability to beat them at the election.

King Arthur's return from Avalon must be imminent  :hmm:

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 28, 2017, 11:29:42 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 28, 2017, 10:46:00 AM

The government is pretty terrible for sure. Which is another reason for marveling at Labour's inability to beat them at the election.

King Arthur's return from Avalon must be imminent  :hmm:

he'll restore Welsh rule over Britannia for sure.

Valmy

I have you know that Labour's performance has basically given every far left wing nut absolute certainty that their victory in the US is imminent. So thanks for that sucky Tories.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

citizen k

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2017, 11:46:15 AM
I have you know that Labour's performance has basically given every far left wing nut absolute certainty that their victory in the US is imminent. So thanks for that sucky Tories.

And a new cult of personality is born for the progressive populists.

'Oh, Jeremy Corbyn!': how the Labour chant all started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4_Yrwb4rh8

Jeremy Corbyn Delivers Inspiring Speech & Crowd Goes Wild!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RsSPOcVcNM

Tamas

Didn't Corbyn once again pledged to scrap Trident,mot his fans at Glastonbury? You know, the thing their manifesto said he would keep? He would be such a disaster as PM, trying to enact his lifelong communist dream.

garbon

Yes, the manifesto supports it but I believe guardian said final version has language on how nuclear is a last resort measure as opposed to how it is typically an everyday deterrent.