UK Parliamentary General Election 8th June 2017

Started by mongers, April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2017, 04:49:43 PM
Yes, the manifesto supports it but I believe guardian said final version has language on how nuclear is a last resort measure as opposed to how it is typically an everyday deterrent.

That's not the same as scrapping the deterrent entirely now is it?

But my point isnt Trident per se, but the latest evidence at Glastonbury that Corbyn doesn't really care about party policy and party promises and such: he has a vision and he will try to push it through if he is given a chance.

The UK needs a Macron-like new force of the progressive middle to form, otherwise we will be stuck between inept gambler Tories and an English Chavez

Josquius

Corbyn didn't say he would scrap trident no.

Corbyn has no choice but to listen to party policy. Even with a majority he couldn't pass anything without the party's support. That's the way the system works.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 29, 2017, 04:46:08 AM

Corbyn has no choice but to listen to party policy. Even with a majority he couldn't pass anything without the party's support. That's the way the system works.

Yeah let's just elect a dangerous radical, he will be reign in by party politics and common sense, for sure. Nothing bad ever came of such a decision.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 29, 2017, 04:46:08 AM

True, he just did this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/26/jeremy-corbyn-trident-labour-manifesto-commitment

QuoteCorbyn refuses to back Trident but says he will respect Labour position
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 29, 2017, 01:02:10 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2017, 04:49:43 PM
Yes, the manifesto supports it but I believe guardian said final version has language on how nuclear is a last resort measure as opposed to how it is typically an everyday deterrent.

That's not the same as scrapping the deterrent entirely now is it?

But my point isnt Trident per se, but the latest evidence at Glastonbury that Corbyn doesn't really care about party policy and party promises and such: he has a vision and he will try to push it through if he is given a chance.

The UK needs a Macron-like new force of the progressive middle to form, otherwise we will be stuck between inept gambler Tories and an English Chavez

That was the compromise that was reached. The language about using as a last resort wasn't in that leaked version of manifesto, only showed up in final version - I would guess to make keep Trident more palatable for Corbyn.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

The Trident issue I consider serious not because how the Tories portrayed it during the election, but because it is a perfect summary of Corbyn and what is wrong with him: he is totally detached from realities of the world. You stay out of war by discouraging others from dragging you into one, not by making yourself a target that is incapable of retaliation. A vote against Trident is a vote against peace.

Josquius

Is it really worth so many billions just to scare Russia a little bit more than they already are by France and the US?
Britain can't even use Trident without the Americans anyway.

Trident is a non issue for me. I don't particularly care either way. But it's irrelevant as Labour policy is the same as the Tories there.

And to call Corbyn a dangerous radical is daft. He's a bit of an outdated dinosaur in some respects but dangerous?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

He does demonstrate more admiration for terrorists and Marxist leaders than I would find appropriate.

Richard Hakluyt

Corbyn is also a brexiteer of course, which is why he has just sacked 3 shadow ministers for backing a vote for the UK to stay in the single market after Brexit :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40451301

I'm not sure how the remainer youth who idolise him manage to square that  :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 30, 2017, 01:10:44 AM
Corbyn is also a brexiteer of course, which is why he has just sacked 3 shadow ministers for backing a vote for the UK to stay in the single market after Brexit :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40451301

I'm not sure how the remainer youth who idolise him manage to square that  :hmm:

"free" higher education > worries about leaving the source of the UK's prosperity ?

garbon

Also, probably that people should now just support Corbyn - no use in symbolic conscience voting if it is against party unity.

By the by, is Labour saying with free education that they'd wipe out prior loans? Don't really understand the appeal to people in their mid-late 20s if not.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2017, 03:49:58 AM
Also, probably that people should now just support Corbyn - no use in symbolic conscience voting if it is against party unity.

By the by, is Labour saying with free education that they'd wipe out prior loans? Don't really understand the appeal to people in their mid-late 20s if not.

IIRC yes there was talk of that. Along with nationalising the shit out of everything, spending a helluva lot more on everything (except defence).

To their credit, they did cover the money for some of that, by the plans of taxing the shit out of corporations, the time-honoured and proven way to growth and prosperity!

Josquius

To their credit, they did cover the money for some of that, by the plans of taxing the shit out of corporations, the time-honoured and proven way to growth and prosperity!

Undoing recent tax cuts that haven't done anything good to raise the tax rate on the profits of big corporations by 4%, leaving them still amongst the lowest taxed in the world, is taxing the shit out of them?

It was muttered about doing something about this for recent grads but generally no.
But then that's what the left is all about. You don't vote for purely what is best for you personally. You vote for what is best for society.
And if you had to put up with high tuition fees then you'll want to ensure future generations don't have to go through the same.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

QuoteBut then that's what the left is all about. You don't vote for purely what is best for you personally. You vote for what is best for society.

:lmfao:

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2017, 04:38:53 AM

Undoing recent tax cuts that haven't done anything good to raise the tax rate on the profits of big corporations by 4%, leaving them still amongst the lowest taxed in the world, is taxing the shit out of them?

It was muttered about doing something about this for recent grads but generally no.
But then that's what the left is all about. You don't vote for purely what is best for you personally. You vote for what is best for society.
And if you had to put up with high tuition fees then you'll want to ensure future generations don't have to go through the same.

How is that best for society? Is there a shortage of people going to university in the UK?