UK Parliamentary General Election 8th June 2017

Started by mongers, April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

well yes, but if Johnson and his bond villain ally's concern was genuine they'd be convincing the cabinet quietly. Even if they have fallen to deaf ears in their honest concern for the nurses, they have just won an election, they have 5 years, they don't have to panic if it takes longer to abolish the pay cap.

Only possible explanation is that they are aiming for a coup with discrediting Hammond as a bonus. Who, BTW, seems to be the only bastion of sanity left in the government.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tamas on July 01, 2017, 02:18:34 AM
So, as a first sign of Britain's glorious new future of standing alone in the world, China has declared their agreement with the Brits of leaving Hong Kong politics alone for 50 years "ancient history" that holds no meaning. Oh boy :D

I don't think there is anybody in the world who cares, except us.  Not even the UK. 

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2017, 04:13:59 AM
well yes, but if Johnson and his bond villain ally's concern was genuine they'd be convincing the cabinet quietly. Even if they have fallen to deaf ears in their honest concern for the nurses, they have just won an election, they have 5 years, they don't have to panic if it takes longer to abolish the pay cap.

Only possible explanation is that they are aiming for a coup with discrediting Hammond as a bonus. Who, BTW, seems to be the only bastion of sanity left in the government.

Oh, of course. To be slightly fair to them, May is a crawling shambles at this point. More tone deaf by the moment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on July 02, 2017, 04:24:53 PM
Why is the right calling its political enemies "liberals" then?

Let's face it: the liberal idea of letting people do what they desire as long as they don't prevent each other in that pursuit, is not laying well with either the left or the right.

It's more often the (hard)  left that complains about liberals I find.
Though you do get some idiots from the right who use it as an insult whilst waving the UKIP flag.  completely failing to realise the irony of British nationalists using such painful Americanisms.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on July 03, 2017, 04:18:40 AM
So, as a first sign of Britain's glorious new future of standing alone in the world, China has declared their agreement with the Brits of leaving Hong Kong politics alone for 50 years "ancient history" that holds no meaning. Oh boy :D

I don't think there is anybody in the world who cares, except us.  Not even the UK.

I care.

I thought giving all of you British citizenship was the right thing to do back before the handover in 1997 as well - and still regret that we didn't.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Monoriu

Quote from: Agelastus on July 03, 2017, 05:53:43 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 03, 2017, 04:18:40 AM

I care.

I thought giving all of you British citizenship was the right thing to do back before the handover in 1997 as well - and still regret that we didn't.

Well thanks :hug:

Mrs Thatcher did all that she could for us, and for that we are eternally grateful. 

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2017, 04:13:59 AM

Boris is a mess. He's now backed away from his stance.

Also:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/jul/06/politics-live
QuoteI think, actually, that Donald Trump's approach to politics has been something that has gripped the imagination of people around the world. He has engaged people in politics in a way that we have not seen for a long time, with his tweets and all the rest of it. I certainly wouldn't be allowed to tweet in the way that he has, much as I might like to.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Solmyr

Let's face it: the liberal idea of letting people do what they desire as long as they don't prevent each other in that pursuit, is not laying well with either the left or the right.

This idea also does not work on its own, because different people don't have the same opportunities.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on July 08, 2017, 05:20:52 AM

This idea also does not work on its own, because different people don't have the same opportunities.

Yeah, but we should help those who have less opportunities, instead of holding back those who have more.

Maladict

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 30, 2017, 04:24:21 PM
I don't like the interest rate charged for the student loans, it is currently 6% IIRC. Bank of England rate +1 or 2% would be better imo.

That's really high. Mine is 0.01% for the next 5 years.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on July 08, 2017, 06:57:37 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on July 08, 2017, 05:20:52 AM

Yeah, but we should help those who have less opportunities, instead of holding back those who have more.

How are we holding back those who have more? If you mean taxation, it's pretty much necessary in order to help those who have less.

Tamas

What are the odds of the government surviving the Great Repeal Bill?

Already the internal leadership fight seems well underway and it has the cabinet in shambles.

Next election in October?

Gups

The Tory implosion  would be hilarious if (a) we weren't in the middle of negotiating Brexit and (b) the alternative wasn't comrade Jezza

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on July 17, 2017, 08:07:19 AM
The Tory implosion  would be hilarious if (a) we weren't in the middle of negotiating Brexit and (b) the alternative wasn't comrade Jezza

Who would have thought that all was standing between a 50s-style communist and No.10 is a promise to reimburse student loans.