Quote from: Tyr on May 17, 2017, 05:57:40 AM
Cool odd thing I just learned.
Bernie Sanders' brother is the green party candidate in East Oxford

figures

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on May 17, 2017, 05:57:40 AM
Cool odd thing I just learned.
Bernie Sanders' brother is the green party candidate in East Oxford

Yes, he was mentioned as second Sanders brother that failed to get elected when he lost in that by-election last year.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

What's this thing with elderly care and selling your home after you die to cover the costs?

So, the government pays for a carer to visit you, and once you die, they sell your house? To whom? How? Auction, or have some friendly companies lined up to take over and make the "best deal" for the government?

Josquius

Tory guy on Channel 4 news last night.

Host: you have promised to massively reduce immigration. Over half of immigration comes from outside the EU. What will you do to control this non EU immigration.

Tory then proceeds to blather on about brexit and taking back control and how this will let them cut immigration so much, completely ignoring the question :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

The question went outside his prepared taking points  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on May 19, 2017, 09:00:56 AM
What's this thing with elderly care and selling your home after you die to cover the costs?

So, the government pays for a carer to visit you, and once you die, they sell your house? To whom? How? Auction, or have some friendly companies lined up to take over and make the "best deal" for the government?

Couldn't you just take out a mortgage or otherwise borrow against the equity in the house? Presumably it'd get settled the way any other estate is settled?

The Brain

What is the question about? How houses are sold? :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on May 20, 2017, 02:05:06 AM

What is the question about? How houses are sold? :unsure:

How Tamas can't leave behind the suspicions/fear/mistrust of the state, he learned back in Hungary.

I know things aren't ideal/good here, but it's a long way from the situation in Hungary.

Tamas might even be surprised to learn there are lots of decent public servants in this country.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: Jacob on May 20, 2017, 12:58:54 AM

Couldn't you just take out a mortgage or otherwise borrow against the equity in the house? Presumably it'd get settled the way any other estate is settled?

You want to be the lender that gives a mortgage to an elderly person about to go into a nursing home?

Josquius

Quote from: dps on May 20, 2017, 11:15:18 AM

You want to be the lender that gives a mortgage to an elderly person about to go into a nursing home?

Tricking old people into remortgaging their homes seems to be a profitable business, ripe for exploitation.
So some see the value in it. I guess they get to under value the home and effectively buy it cheap, ready to sell on.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: dps on May 20, 2017, 11:15:18 AM

Life insurance. The lender bakes it into the mortgage to ensure repayment.

Tamas

I would imagine there are offerings where you receive a lifelong monthly payment from the bank/insurance company and they receive your property upon your death. I know such things exist in Hungary.

I remember my parents were not amused when my grandma (in her late 60s\early 70s back then) was convinced by this large bank's representative to sign such a deal (an annual payment IIRC) for the piece of land she got as compensation for the lands the commies took away from her father in the 50s. We didn't need the extra annual money and the land would had been a nice asset.

However, Grandma is now in her 96th year and still of reasonably good health, so I guess you can say she won the bet and not the bank. :)

garbon

I've tilted to the left! (did all the extra questions)

http://uk.isidewith.com/results/3161856509

64% Labour
62% Lib Dem
60% Plaid Cymru
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2017, 01:23:44 PM
I've tilted to the left! (did all the extra questions)

http://uk.isidewith.com/results/3161856509

64% Labour
62% Lib Dem
60% Plaid Cymru

74% Labour
69% SNP ( :rolleyes: )
68% Plaid Cymru

I love how some of the questions are blatantly referring to US issues (bombing North Korea?). There's even one question from the French election test that got in there somehow.

Monoriu

73% Conservative
68% UKIP
51% Liberal Democrat