UK Parliamentary General Election 8th June 2017

Started by mongers, April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

When I voted in Germany, I would receive a postcard notification before the election. The card and picture ID were required for voting (since picture ID is mandatory, not a big hurdle).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

Quote from: Syt on May 05, 2017, 07:02:15 AM
When I voted in Germany, I would receive a postcard notification before the election. The card and picture ID were required for voting (since picture ID is mandatory, not a big hurdle).

We get a polling card, but you don't need to take it with you; as has been noted, you just go in and give your address and name, no proof of ID etc. required. Then you're ticked off the list.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

Quote from: Agelastus on May 05, 2017, 07:04:12 AM

We get a polling card, but you don't need to take it with you; as has been noted, you just go in and give your address and name, no proof of ID etc. required. Then you're ticked off the list.

So, once again, the only reason there is (in theory) no election fraud, is that nobody bothers. This "system" is wide open for abuse.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on May 05, 2017, 07:46:32 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on May 05, 2017, 07:04:12 AM

So, once again, the only reason there is (in theory) no election fraud, is that nobody bothers. This "system" is wide open for abuse.

Pretty much.
I think the theory is that since everything is done on such a local level the person running the polling station is a known local who can identify people.
In practice this isn't really possible in the modern world.
If you can mine a list of names and addresses and be sure they won't vote I guess you could drive around the country, polling station to polling station, planting votes.
I wonder if this was done in the brexit ref.  :tinfoil:

Checking up apparently by the 2019 elections there'll be a need for Id.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Conservatives win Tees Valley.
It was an unusual one there. The Tory candidate was on a very labour platform of nationalising the local airport whilst the labour candidate had a more tory position of allowing a failing business to fail.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

So what are the chances that Corbyn finally does the honorable thing post the general election - in face of what just transpired with the local ones?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

garbon

He's apparently expected to mention that he will stay on as leader regardless at his speech today...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/10/labour-party-manifesto-pledges-to-end-tuition-fees-and-nationalise-railways

QuoteJeremy Corbyn will lay out plans to take parts of Britain's energy industry back into public ownership alongside the railways and Royal Mail in a radical manifesto that will also promise an annual injection of £6bn for the NHS and £1.6bn for social care.

A draft document drawn up by the leadership will also pledge a phased abolition of tuition fees, a dramatic boost in finance for childcare, and scrapping the bedroom tax, the Guardian has learned.

Sources say that Corbyn wants to promise a "transformational programme" with a package covering the NHS, education, housing and jobs as well as industrial intervention and sweeping nationalisation.

One central promise will be to build 100,000 new council houses a year and alongside a policy to ban fracking.

The manifesto claims that the policies will be fully costed with tax rises for those earning over £80,000 – although full details are not included. There will also be a reversal of corporation and inheritance tax cuts.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Let's not go nuts, it's still pretty crazy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on May 10, 2017, 04:46:21 PM

Disagree.  Tax and spend is a sane policy course.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2017, 04:55:38 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 10, 2017, 04:46:21 PM

Disagree.  Tax and spend is a sane policy course.

Sweeping nationalization is a crazy policy course.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on May 10, 2017, 05:00:26 PM
Sweeping nationalization is a crazy policy course.

That part certainly is dodgier.

Richard Hakluyt

The funding is heavily reliant on increased corporation tax. There is a potential problem here; as Osborne reduced the tax, receipts actually went up - a mixture of increased profits and also companies being more prone to booking their profits in the UK. From what I have seen so far Labour is assuming that if (for example) you increase corporation tax from 20% to 30% then receipts will increase by 50%. This seems highly unlikely.