What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 06, 2012, 01:51:09 PM
I love the fact that the right is having kittens over the unemployment number dropping to 7.8%;  if it had dropped from 8.4% to 8.1%, there wouldn't be nearly as much howling;  but the fact that it broke the 8.0 barrier the GOP loves to quote is rubbing them the wrong way.  Dude, it's still only .3%.  It's not that good.

QuoteBoomers typically have more seniority in their jobs, offering better job security, and making their unemployment rate lower than younger workers; the rate for the entire work force announced on Friday is considerably higher, 7.8 percent. But when older workers lose a job, it takes longer to find a new one, often because of age and salary expectations. The average worker laid off in this country spent 18.9 weeks finding a new job, while for 45- to 54-year-olds it was 27.6 weeks and 33.4 for the older boomers. But even the long search for the oldest boomers has eased considerably; that 33.4-week average was 43 weeks a year ago.

Fucking Baby Boomers just won't fucking go away and die already.  Fuck, I can't wait until that bullshit generation disappears and actually makes room for the rest of the planet. Fuck.  Useless fucking hippie old as fuck fucks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

That doesn't really support derspiess's assertion. :unsure:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on December 08, 2017, 01:17:58 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 08, 2017, 01:07:44 PM
Argument that the GOP tax bill is about the culture war: https://tropicsofmeta.wordpress.com/2017/12/06/the-tax-bill-is-really-about-the-culture-war/

I read an article, which I can't find now, that says basically this kind of argument is hogwash.  The tax cuts are of course only going to benefit the very rich - but those people are by and large democrats.  The benefits are going to go to the coastal elites, the pain felt by, well, the red states.

The GOP isn't even serving their own constituency - they're just giving their ultra-rich donors what they have demanded for years.

Despite Trump getting significant support from poorer whites, the long term model of the wealthier half of the population skewing republican and the poorer half democrat hasn't changed.

The dynamic of "red state" and "blue state" is also problematic. Eliminating the federal deductibility of state and local taxes would hurt "blue state" residents more than "red state" for instance, but it would hurt their wealthier residents more than their poorer, and the wealthier skew more republican.

At the same time, slashing medicaid spending may disproportionately hurt red states, but the lower income portion of those states which skew more democratic. And frankly, the users of which are disproportionately minority, which may be something a lot of trump voters are aiming for.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

AR, you are confusing race with income.

The tendencies of the wealthy to skew Republican and the poor Dem hasn't been true for a very long time.

Which is no real surprise, really. Populism requires low intelligence and a healthy amount of ignorance, and low intelligence, ignorance, and lack of education very much correlate with the current Republican Party.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2017, 03:21:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2017, 03:06:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2017, 02:33:19 PM
No, it wasn't.

Yeah, pretty sure it was.  I should probably put Raz on my payroll and have him dig it up.

Someone should.  I have useful research skills that are wasted confronting homophobes on Facebook with their mugshots and asking if their animosity is based on a bad first experience.

Yep, I've seen your doxxing skills on display. Pretty impressive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on December 08, 2017, 03:27:47 PM
That doesn't really support derspiess's assertion. :unsure:

Well, imagine that.  Will probably pin "whore pills" on me as well.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on December 08, 2017, 04:12:54 PM
AR, you are confusing race with income.

The tendencies of the wealthy to skew Republican and the poor Dem hasn't been true for a very long time.

Which is no real surprise, really. Populism requires low intelligence and a healthy amount of ignorance, and low intelligence, ignorance, and lack of education very much correlate with the current Republican Party.

The upper classes don't skew that republican anymore, they're split almost evenely.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2017, 02:23:13 PM
I have stated several times that I found Hannity an intellectual lightweight when I used to listen to him back around 2002 or so but I never questioned his commitment to the Constitution and the USA and our values and all that as he understood them. Pretty disappointing.

I don't think I've ever stated it here, but, yeah, that was pretty much my assessment of him as well, and, yeah, his position wrt Trump is pretty disappointing.

CountDeMoney

His bullshit this week has been over the top.  The FBI = KGB? C'mon. 

Zoupa

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2017, 11:43:42 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 08, 2017, 11:40:01 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2017, 11:28:11 AM
Maybe not that extreme, but they're saying he's in the bag for Hillary and the Dems and is out to get Trump.  This was red meat for them: http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/02/politics/fbi-agent-removed-trump-investigation/index.html

So removing someone with a conflict of interest proves they have a conflict of interest?

Not at all.  It's evidence that at least one person in the investigation (when there are probably more--  hell, maybe even all of them!) was virulently anti-Trump, which taints the entire investigation.

How does it taint the entire investigation?

Do you have any proof of further "virulently anti-Trump" behaviour?

edit: nvm, I see my questions have already been asked a few times already  :sleep:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Oexmelin

"Where once we accused the Democrats of having a wagon-circling echo chamber, we now copy their tactics."

Can't resist a jab against Democrats, even as the problem of constitutional order should suggest to tone down that stupidly partisan language.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2017, 07:05:40 PM
His bullshit this week has been over the top.  The FBI = KGB? C'mon.

I have a feeling certain Blue Lives won't matter much soon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017