News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

873,000 new jobs in September!?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 05, 2012, 11:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Most of the people they added to the jobs number are part-timers: 582,000 who are newly working part time. A part timer is defined as working 1 to 34 hours per week.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/rise-of-the-reluctant-part-timer-class/

HVC

If someone worked 2 part time jobs he'd be counted twice, right?  I mean it's two new jobs.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

sbr

Quote from: Phillip V on October 06, 2012, 11:49:20 AM
Most of the people they added to the jobs number are part-timers: 582,000 who are newly working part time. A part timer is defined as working 1 to 34 hours per week.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/rise-of-the-reluctant-part-timer-class/

Part time jobs are good though, right?  Especially for someone who advocates getting rid of unemployment insurance.

Jaron

Not too surprising. Especially with many college kids returning to school in September. They probably sought and found local jobs in their college communities. I know Provo-Orem had a large number of crap job postings near the end of the summer that have now been filled. Praise be to Barack and his enlightened policies.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Phillip V on October 06, 2012, 08:17:15 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2012, 01:16:20 AM
Btw, if unemployment is to fall, you have to create more jobs than the population growth. You know that, right?  :huh:
False. Unemployment can also fall if people stop looking for work.
That has been the case previously, but this time participation increase too.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

I love the fact that the right is having kittens over the unemployment number dropping to 7.8%;  if it had dropped from 8.4% to 8.1%, there wouldn't be nearly as much howling;  but the fact that it broke the 8.0 barrier the GOP loves to quote is rubbing them the wrong way.  Dude, it's still only .3%.  It's not that good.

QuoteBoomers typically have more seniority in their jobs, offering better job security, and making their unemployment rate lower than younger workers; the rate for the entire work force announced on Friday is considerably higher, 7.8 percent. But when older workers lose a job, it takes longer to find a new one, often because of age and salary expectations. The average worker laid off in this country spent 18.9 weeks finding a new job, while for 45- to 54-year-olds it was 27.6 weeks and 33.4 for the older boomers. But even the long search for the oldest boomers has eased considerably; that 33.4-week average was 43 weeks a year ago.

Fucking Baby Boomers just won't fucking go away and die already.  Fuck, I can't wait until that bullshit generation disappears and actually makes room for the rest of the planet. Fuck.  Useless fucking hippie old as fuck fucks.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 06, 2012, 01:51:09 PM
Fucking Baby Boomers just won't fucking go away and die already.  Fuck, I can't wait until that bullshit generation disappears and actually makes room for the rest of the planet. Fuck.  Useless fucking hippie old as fuck fucks.

My parents are lovely people, so fuck you. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 06, 2012, 02:27:06 PMMy parents are lovely people, so fuck you. :)

Too bad that wasn't passed on to the next generation :(

Valmy

What?  So your generation of incompetent narcissists can take over?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2012, 03:38:31 PM

What?  So your generation of incompetent narcissists can take over?

There's less of us.  Think of the environment.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 06, 2012, 02:35:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 06, 2012, 02:27:06 PMMy parents are lovely people, so fuck you. :)

Too bad that wasn't passed on to the next generation :(

Hey I just received a rave review.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

From a Canadian, a quebecker at that.