News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

873,000 new jobs in September!?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 05, 2012, 11:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2012, 11:55:43 PM
You got a problem with that?
No, but the number seems wildly implausible. Even if growth was roaring along at 6% I'd be skeptical.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

Most of them are crappy part-time jobs for the college set.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Sheilbh

Yeah.  It's broadly in line with previous months - especially if you take into consideration the upward revisions of July and August.

It's not that good a number, Tim.  It's solid, but not outstanding.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 06, 2012, 12:30:12 AM
Yeah.  It's broadly in line with previous months - especially if you take into consideration the upward revisions of July and August.

We've had trouble matching population growth at 150k a month, what are you talking about. I don't think I ever saw a number that high, not even during the Clinton years.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 06, 2012, 01:11:15 AM
I heard 140,000.
Looking over it again, they're using two different sets of numbers. The more commonly used one is 114k

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 06, 2012, 12:57:13 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 06, 2012, 12:30:12 AM

We've had trouble matching population growth at 150k a month, what are you talking about. I don't think I ever saw a number that high, not even during the Clinton years.

Can you fucking read? The CNN article you posted explains where the number comes from. Did you just read the headline and posted here?

Btw, if unemployment is to fall, you have to create more jobs than the population growth. You know that, right?  :huh:

Richard Hakluyt

Monthly figures should always be taken with a pinch of salt. There are also seasonality factors, at a guess September is often a good month for new jobs as students find crappy jobs in their college towns.

Now The Economist is currently displaying some limited optimism about the US and UK economies, but with the way the Eurozone is and the worries about China I'm not expecting much. This "crisis" is over 5 years old now, I reckon we are going to do a Japan until something big changes things  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 06, 2012, 01:15:50 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 06, 2012, 01:11:15 AM
I heard 140,000.
Looking over it again, they're using two different sets of numbers. The more commonly used one is 114k
And the larger figure derives from a household survey, so it's far more volatile.

The figure that matters is, taking the revisions into account, par for the course.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Perhaps the jobs are election-related.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2012, 01:16:20 AM
Btw, if unemployment is to fall, you have to create more jobs than the population growth. You know that, right?  :huh:
False. Unemployment can also fall if people stop looking for work.

For example, a solution is sending women back to the kitchen/bedroom.

DGuller

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 06, 2012, 02:02:05 AM
Monthly figures should always be taken with a pinch of salt. There are also seasonality factors, at a guess September is often a good month for new jobs as students find crappy jobs in their college towns.
I think the numbers are seasonally adjusted.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on October 06, 2012, 10:10:28 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 06, 2012, 02:02:05 AM
I think the numbers are seasonally adjusted.

Isn't that playing God?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.