What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2017, 04:07:30 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 07, 2017, 02:48:32 PM
i meant Kushner but your point is valid.

A winter Olympic without Russia & the USA? This will be the BEST medal count we will EVER get.

Finland will be gunning for you in the biathlon.

Lulz bolt-action ChiCom mouth sugar.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: HVC on December 07, 2017, 02:19:49 PM
Going back to the mother land you were kicked out of 2000 years ago doesn't exactly show Israelis letting go of the past either :lol:

Oh no kidding.  It's a religion whose most holy site is some rubble left over from a Roman siege.  Much of the scriptural writings and books that still form the core of the religious tradition are explanations and commentaries on the Assyrian and Babylonian conquests.  If there is one thing Jews should understand it's a stubborn refusal to accept the verdicts of history.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on December 07, 2017, 04:26:51 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2017, 04:07:30 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 07, 2017, 02:48:32 PM
i meant Kushner but your point is valid.

A winter Olympic without Russia & the USA? This will be the BEST medal count we will EVER get.

Finland will be gunning for you in the biathlon.

Hey Valmy, you're not actually supposed to shoot at the other team in the biathlon.

Paintball is in the Olympics now? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on December 07, 2017, 04:26:51 PM
Hey Valmy, you're not actually supposed to shoot at the other team in the biathlon.

Cue jokes re Jamaican biathlon team.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 07, 2017, 12:36:44 PM
No the reality is America no longer has a foreign policy.  The two criteria that drive all US policy making in the executive are what best serves the President's domestic political interests, and what serves his business interests.  The sole purpose of foreign policy is to throw morsels of meat to Trump's domestic supporters.  The fact that this move is likely to inflame ME tensions is a feature not a bug.  His evangelical supporters love that shit.  The capital returning to Jerusalem and war in Israel is the pre-requisite for the End Times.  This is the kind of logic that now drives American engagement in the world.  No wonder diplomats from London to Canberra, and from Berlin to Tokyo, are reassessing their role in the US alliance system and tacking to China.

And that in turn has conditioned China's trade and foreign policy.  It was not so long ago that China would have jumped at a chance to negotiate a free trade agreement with Canada.  Canada always held out over human rights concerns.  Now when Canada goes asking for negotiations to commence on a free trade agreement (in part to mitigate the uncertainty with our trade with the US) China is playing hard to get.

dps

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 07, 2017, 02:16:05 PM
WH Press Secretary said Donald hasn't made a decision on whether or not to allow the US team to participate in the Winter Olympics in South Korea. Security concerns or some such

When he makes a big show of it and says "No" NBC is gonna be pissed lol

Well, now I'm ambivalent.  NBC Sports sucks, so I kind of want to see them pissed off.  OTOH, I want to see the US win a bunch of medals, and we should be able to snag a few more with the Russians out.  And on yet another hand (oops, out of hands, I guess I need to use a foot), if President Trump manages to force a US boycott and pisses off NBC, I won't be able to enjoy NBC's misfortune without approving of something The Donald has done, and I really don't want to approve of anything he does.

Jacob

The GOP tax bill is just so monumentally petty on so many levels: apparently the house bill removes tax deductions from losses due to earthquakes and wildfires, but not from hurricanes.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-wildfire-tax-deduction-20171107-story.html

dps

Quote from: Jacob on December 07, 2017, 08:08:33 PM
The GOP tax bill is just so monumentally petty on so many levels: apparently the house bill removes tax deductions from losses due to earthquakes and wildfires, but not from hurricanes.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-wildfire-tax-deduction-20171107-story.html

Tax bills always have weird quirks like that.  Genuine tax reform (which, let's face it, isn't a top priority for either party nor for any particular voting constituency) would simplify things and get rid of the quirks.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on December 07, 2017, 08:19:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 07, 2017, 08:08:33 PM

Tax bills always have weird quirks like that.  Genuine tax reform (which, let's face it, isn't a top priority for either party nor for any particular voting constituency) would simplify things and get rid of the quirks.

Yeah.  Quirks.

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 07, 2017, 08:29:11 PM

Yeah.  Quirks.

Yep nothing focusing on California with those changes.  Nothing to see here, move along.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grinning_Colossus

The curious thing is that the lack of a wildfire deduction will hurt the rest of the west, too. Have they given up on Nevada and Colorado? Arizona?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

PDH

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on December 07, 2017, 09:11:43 PM
The curious thing is that the lack of a wildfire deduction will hurt the rest of the west, too. Have they given up on Nevada and Colorado? Arizona?

Too many Evil Rapist Drug User Killers there.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on December 07, 2017, 09:11:43 PM

According to the article they can always pass exemptions when politically expedient.