What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Ok, found everybody's Christmas present this year!  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on December 08, 2017, 04:12:54 PM
AR, you are confusing race with income.

The tendencies of the wealthy to skew Republican and the poor Dem hasn't been true for a very long time.

Which is no real surprise, really. Populism requires low intelligence and a healthy amount of ignorance, and low intelligence, ignorance, and lack of education very much correlate with the current Republican Party.

As Tim's chart shows, the lower incomes still skew democrat and the upper incomes republican. As I mentioned the effect is less than before, but it is still the case.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

I think Berk's point is that if you filter for race, poor white people still favour Trump by some margin. I don't know if that's true - I haven't seen the stats on it - but I think that's what he's saying.

Eddie Teach

But if you filter by race, poor white people still support Trump less than rich white people.

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on December 10, 2017, 03:47:35 PM
I think Berk's point is that if you filter for race, poor white people still favour Trump by some margin. I don't know if that's true - I haven't seen the stats on it - but I think that's what he's saying.

If you filter by race, or living in urban vs. rural areas, or in a high income state vs. a low income state, education level, etc. you can find all sorts of different ways the electorate skews.

That doesn't change that on an overall basis it skews more republican at higher income levels (and democrat at lower income levels).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2017, 04:35:38 AM
I predict Moore wins and that's when the Republican pushback starts, when they realize they've gone absolutely fucking mental.  The end of the pendulum.
I don't see that happening.  You hit rock bottom when everything is falling apart for you, not when you're on the upswing.  The only realization to be made is for independents and moderate Republicans to realize that they're enabling evil by not rejecting GOP completely and utterly.

Eddie Teach

I think we've found the forum's true Savonarola.

DGuller

If you have something to say, by all means feel free to elucidate your position.  Firing off sarcastic potshots nonstop, while never committing yourself by fully expressing your own opinion, is chickenshit.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on December 10, 2017, 05:09:23 PM
If you have something to say, by all means feel free to elucidate your position.  Firing off sarcastic potshots nonstop, while never committing yourself by fully expressing your own opinion, is chickenshit.

My opinion is that casting politics as a battle of good vs evil is a crock of shit.

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 10, 2017, 05:19:42 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 10, 2017, 05:09:23 PM

My opinion is that casting politics as a battle of good vs evil is a crock of shit.
My opinion is that this is a variation of "the truth is somewhere in the middle";  a cheap statement that requires no knowledge of facts to make, but is designed to make you sound wise by saying it.  Sometimes politics really is about evil vs non-evil, the most obvious example being interwar Germany.

Eddie Teach

The party you and I support for various reasons is also the one that supports killing half a million babies a year. There is no moral high ground in US politics.

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 10, 2017, 05:34:42 PM
The party you and I support for various reasons is also the one that supports killing half a million babies a year. There is no moral high ground in US politics.
Okay, I see your point there.  Now we're discussing specifics of politics and not general statements about them, which IMO is more interesting.