And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2017, 02:40:18 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2017, 02:34:13 PM
There has to be more to it than that.  My extended family is all highly educated and work (or worked before retirement) in jobs that require being intelligent and highly educated.  But two thirds of them are enthusiastic Trump voters.  Maybe the fact that they grew up in an authoritarian culture left an imprint than no education could erase, but then there are plenty of pockets in US where the culture has a decidedly authoritarian bent as well.

You cannot educate away stupidity.  Anyone with a normally-functioning sense of skepticism would have caught on very quickly that Trump was not only a phony, but a pathological phony.  Those who voted for Trump did so knowing that he was the very epitome of all the things they wanted to vote against.  They just believed, apparently, that he would change when he got into office.  Like the loyal spouses of batterers, they prefer their own fantasies to facing the realities in front of them.  That kind of stupid overcomes any amount of education.  But those people are rare.  Most people can be educated into looking at things skeptically.
I hope you're right, but I fear reality is a lot darker than that.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Monoriu

Let's hope for better luck in the 2020 election. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on January 28, 2017, 07:57:00 PM
So who was it here that was saying Trump wouldn't follow through on his campaign promises and his dumbass supporters would be disappointed?

So who was it here saying we shouldn't take the batshit insane, fascistic things Trump kept saying seriously, because he would never really follow through.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2017, 01:02:41 PM
the exclamation marks denoted the extent of the hysteria by dishonest, false media

If this is a meme, no one is getting it and people think you're an idiot.

If you're trolling, no one is getting it and people think you're an idiot.

If you believe this is true, you're an idiot.

The Minsky Moment

He really outdid himelf this time.
Commemorates Holocaust Remembrance Day with a present day re-enactment of the Voyage of the Damned.  This is real test for what's left of self-respect in the GOP.  It's not just toleration of ignornance, incompetence, boorishness, terrible judgment, and naive manipulation by a foreign government.  This crosses the line to moral evil. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: Zoupa on January 29, 2017, 02:12:49 PM
These are incredible times indeed. If only the EU could get its act together fast, we could usurp some or most of the US' positions: as moral leader, financial and currency reference, soft power etc.

I wonder if the goptards in congress will realize that the US position can fade fast before it's too late.

Interesting times indeed.

With Le Pen in charge of France and Merkel in coalition with the neonazis by the end of this year, Europe will have bigger problems than trying to assert moral leadership of the world.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 29, 2017, 03:54:39 PM
He really outdid himelf this time.
Commemorates Holocaust Remembrance Day with a present day re-enactment of the Voyage of the Damned.  This is real test for what's left of self-respect in the GOP.  It's not just toleration of ignornance, incompetence, boorishness, terrible judgment, and naive manipulation by a foreign government.  This crosses the line to moral evil.

You're just saying that because you're a Jew.  Just wait until Obersturmbannführer Bannon finds out.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2017, 03:57:36 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on January 29, 2017, 02:12:49 PM
These are incredible times indeed. If only the EU could get its act together fast, we could usurp some or most of the US' positions: as moral leader, financial and currency reference, soft power etc.

I wonder if the goptards in congress will realize that the US position can fade fast before it's too late.

Interesting times indeed.

With Le Pen in charge of France and Merkel in coalition with the neonazis by the end of this year, Europe will have bigger problems than trying to assert moral leadership of the world.
Yeah, I'll be happy enough if the EU survives to 2020. We have enough problems ourselves and we just got a hostile government in the US.

dps

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 29, 2017, 01:14:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2017, 11:47:57 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2017, 11:41:51 AM
if bannon gets purged because of incompetency, then so be it. we all must make sacrifices in the trumpenreich

:lol:  Dude, Chris Christie already played the role of Ernst Röhm.  Bannon's gone full Goebbels.

Donald will blow a gasket when he gets a whiff of the "President Bannon"  stuff going around  :lol:

So if Christie was Rohm, is Bannon going to be Rudolph Hess?

mongers

Quote from: dps on January 29, 2017, 04:06:54 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 29, 2017, 01:14:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2017, 11:47:57 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2017, 11:41:51 AM
if bannon gets purged because of incompetency, then so be it. we all must make sacrifices in the trumpenreich

:lol:  Dude, Chris Christie already played the role of Ernst Röhm.  Bannon's gone full Goebbels.

Donald will blow a gasket when he gets a whiff of the "President Bannon"  stuff going around  :lol:

So if Christie was Rohm, is Bannon going to be Rudolph Hess?

By coincidence I'm reading a short history of Nazi economic policies in 1930s, proving difficult to read without thinking of the present, especially when reading about the regimes increasing reliance on bilateral trade agreement in response to counter-protectionism.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Oexmelin

Quote@RepDonBeyer

We have a constitutional crisis today. Four Members of Congress asked CBP officials to enforce a federal court order and were turned away.

At Dulles.
Que le grand cric me croque !

MadImmortalMan

Out of context, I don't know what any of that means.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Oexmelin

It means that the Department of Homeland Security seems to be defying the emergency court order, and has ordered CBP to keep detaining people, and that the CBP people denied four elected Representatives, bearing that court order, to even meet with the detainees, let alone free them.
Que le grand cric me croque !

LaCroix

DHS is complying with the orders. the orders were for the detainees currently in the US, nothing more. DHS is complying, and they're carrying out the rest of the executive order, which the orders didn't touch

this is part of the hysteria. as if the federal government is going to intentionally ignore federal court orders