News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2017, 12:20:10 PM
QuoteMovie update! Trump will be hosting staff and family in the White House Family Theater this afternoon for a screening of Finding Dory.

We're all going to die.   :lol:  I'm not even going to pay my bills anymore.

A movie about a befuddled fish who has a horrible memory but eventually gets its act together might be the inspirational material the President needs in these dark times. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

QuoteBritain's four-time Olympic gold medallist Sir Mo Farah has criticised US President Donald Trump for imposing an order that leaves him unsure whether he can return to the United States.

Farah, 33, was born in Somalia but has lived in Oregon for the past six years.

Somali nationals are among those banned from travelling to the US under the executive order issued on Friday.

"It's deeply troubling that I will have to tell my children daddy might not be able to come home," said Farah.

Writing on his Facebook page, he added: "On 1 January this year, Her Majesty The Queen made me a Knight of the Realm. On 27 January, President Donald Trump seems to have made me an alien."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on January 29, 2017, 10:26:10 AM
I think LaCroix might actually be broken.  Lay off the coke.

What part of "not compiling with the orders!!!" didn't you understand?  I thought the three exclamation points made everything clear.  If the sentence had ended in just two exclamation points, I'd understand your confusion!!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

the exclamation marks denoted the extent of the hysteria by dishonest, false media

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2017, 11:36:06 AM
It's funny - the content of the order is so horrific, that the gross incompetency of how it was put into place is being lost.

Bannon wrote this up, had Trump sign it, and executed it without bothering to ask any Adminstration lawyers if it was legal, without asking the DOD if it would impact any of their assets, without asking DHS if they could physically actually implement it with creating chaos.

Ignore for a moment the actual policy, and this thing is a hot mess that was clearly thrown together by amateurs. And the fact that they are amateurs isn't so bad - but the fact that they are amateurs who think they are smarter than the professionals and hence refuse to ask for advice or help even on basic procedural stuff, is fucking hilarious.

And terrifying. But I am sure I am just being a hysterical liberal.

Look at this another way:  highly visible public displays of incompetence like this just shorten the already-limited lifespan of the Trump administration, so they are ultimately good, even though embarrassing for the country and inconvenient (at the very least) for the victims.  Frankly, the American people deserve to be embarrassed over this, even those who didn't vote for Trump.  Trump's election isn't a failure of politics, it is a failure of education.  Proper education would have kept all but the Spiceys and LeCroixs from voting for something like Trump.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2017, 01:02:41 PM
the exclamation marks denoted the extent of the hysteria by dishonest, false media

getagriponreality
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2017, 01:02:41 PM

I wouldn't call you hysterical, though you are funny as well as possessing the other self-admitted flaws.  Also, I'd note that "media" is plural, so you should refer to yourself as "medium."  I know that they don't teach much grammar at SDCCLSaH.

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2017, 11:47:57 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2017, 11:41:51 AM
if bannon gets purged because of incompetency, then so be it. we all must make sacrifices in the trumpenreich

:lol:  Dude, Chris Christie already played the role of Ernst Röhm.  Bannon's gone full Goebbels.

Donald will blow a gasket when he gets a whiff of the "President Bannon"  stuff going around  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2017, 11:47:57 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 29, 2017, 11:41:51 AM
if bannon gets purged because of incompetency, then so be it. we all must make sacrifices in the trumpenreich

:lol:  Dude, Chris Christie already played the role of Ernst Röhm.  Bannon's gone full Goebbels.

So was "5 miles of bad road" making the Sunday rounds?

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Zoupa

These are incredible times indeed. If only the EU could get its act together fast, we could usurp some or most of the US' positions: as moral leader, financial and currency reference, soft power etc.

I wonder if the goptards in congress will realize that the US position can fade fast before it's too late.

Interesting times indeed.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2017, 01:09:17 PM
Look at this another way:  highly visible public displays of incompetence like this just shorten the already-limited lifespan of the Trump administration, so they are ultimately good, even though embarrassing for the country and inconvenient (at the very least) for the victims.  Frankly, the American people deserve to be embarrassed over this, even those who didn't vote for Trump.  Trump's election isn't a failure of politics, it is a failure of education.  Proper education would have kept all but the Spiceys and LeCroixs from voting for something like Trump.
There has to be more to it than that.  My extended family is all highly educated and work (or worked before retirement) in jobs that require being intelligent and highly educated.  But two thirds of them are enthusiastic Trump voters.  Maybe the fact that they grew up in an authoritarian culture left an imprint than no education could erase, but then there are plenty of pockets in US where the culture has a decidedly authoritarian bent as well.

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on January 29, 2017, 02:12:49 PM
These are incredible times indeed. If only the EU could get its act together fast, we could usurp some or most of the US' positions: as moral leader, financial and currency reference, soft power etc.

I wonder if the goptards in congress will realize that the US position can fade fast before it's too late.

Interesting times indeed.

If the EU couldn't get its act together in its first 34 years, it's not likely to in the next four years.  Russia and China are both better-positioned to take on those leadership roles, even though they lack the EU's economic, intellectual, or moral potential.

I think the question isn't so much "will the GOPtards allow the US position in the world to decline under the weight of the Trump administrations incompetence and dishonesty?" but rather "how much will the GOPtards allow the US position in the world to decline under the weight of the Trump administrations incompetence and dishonesty?"  Some loss has already occurred, and I can't see how that damage can ever be undone.  The US cannot un-admit that its voters are stupid enough, or ignorant enough, to elect a man manifestly unfit for any position of public responsibility whatever.  The authoritarian-lovers' cherry has been popped.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2017, 02:34:13 PM
There has to be more to it than that.  My extended family is all highly educated and work (or worked before retirement) in jobs that require being intelligent and highly educated.  But two thirds of them are enthusiastic Trump voters.  Maybe the fact that they grew up in an authoritarian culture left an imprint than no education could erase, but then there are plenty of pockets in US where the culture has a decidedly authoritarian bent as well.

You cannot educate away stupidity.  Anyone with a normally-functioning sense of skepticism would have caught on very quickly that Trump was not only a phony, but a pathological phony.  Those who voted for Trump did so knowing that he was the very epitome of all the things they wanted to vote against.  They just believed, apparently, that he would change when he got into office.  Like the loyal spouses of batterers, they prefer their own fantasies to facing the realities in front of them.  That kind of stupid overcomes any amount of education.  But those people are rare.  Most people can be educated into looking at things skeptically.

Bayraktar!