News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2024, 10:43:38 AMAOC is an idiot.  Believing that Biden will win will not make him win.  Only votes will make him win.  It sounds exactly like Christians talking about the power of prayer.

She's an idiot because she doesn't embrace defeatism?

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2024, 10:43:38 AMAOC is an idiot.  Believing that Biden will win will not make him win.  Only votes will make him win.  It sounds exactly like Christians talking about the power of prayer.

I don't think that was a specific pro-Biden message. It was a correct rebuttal of a "we have already lost so why bother" attitude that is completely inexcusable even by the standards of this being a neck-and-neck race with 3 months to go, let alone the whole risk of fascism thing.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on July 15, 2024, 10:48:13 AMShe's an idiot because she doesn't embrace defeatism?

Tell me what defeatism means.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2024, 10:51:54 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 15, 2024, 10:48:13 AMShe's an idiot because she doesn't embrace defeatism?

Tell me what defeatism means.

noun
a person who expects or is excessively ready to accept failure.

adjective
demonstrating expectation or acceptance of failure.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on July 15, 2024, 10:48:46 AMI don't think that was a specific pro-Biden message. It was a correct rebuttal of a "we have already lost so why bother" attitude that is completely inexcusable even by the standards of this being a neck-and-neck race with 3 months to go, let alone the whole risk of fascism thing.

See, I don't see the "why bother part."  All I see is an expectation, a prediction, a forecast.

Sheilbh

Being resigned to defeat. It's a foregone conclusion.

I thought this with the Tories (who were not in a neck and neck race - and were out of rolls of the dice), but I have no idea how you do something as exhausting as an election campaign if you don't think it's all to play for/you can win.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2024, 10:54:54 AMSee, I don't see the "why bother part."  All I see is an expectation, a prediction, a forecast.
From this: "We've all resigned ourselves to a second Trump presidency."?

I don't read that as prediction or forecast at all. Maybe expectation, but a resigned expectation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Norgy

The Minsky Moment

Kleves:  the Cannon ruling is actually a positive development in a perverse way because for the past year she has deliberately tanked the case but in a way that left the DOJ no avenue for appeal.  By dismissing the case, she has opened up an immediate avenue for appeal, and on a legal theory that is fringe.  While the 10th circuit court of appeals is conservative, they know that Cannon is rogue, and they've slapped her down before.

The next question though is what the Supreme Court will do. We know Clarence Thomas accepts this nutty theory because he wrote a concurring opinion about it in the immunity case. But no other justice joined it. It's possible that's because no one else buys it, but it's also possible they were reserving on it. I don't think there are 5 votes for it on the Court for it, but my confidence in this Court is badly shaken at this point. Either way I could see them joining the appeal in this case with the Hunter Biden appeal so either way they go, the have some cover on the charge of political bias.

grumbler - yes, they could refile the case because jeopardy hasn't attached, there has been no merits ruling, and I believe there is no limitations problem yet. Cannon would not have to recuse.  But the DOJ could rethink their strategy and refile in DC.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2024, 10:58:46 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2024, 10:54:54 AMSee, I don't see the "why bother part."  All I see is an expectation, a prediction, a forecast.
From this: "We've all resigned ourselves to a second Trump presidency."?

I don't read that as prediction or forecast at all. Maybe expectation, but a resigned expectation.

If you don't want large numbers of your party members resigned to defeat, maybe don't do things that resign them to defeat? Maybe do things that put yourself in position to win instead of ones that are likely to lose?

Just my advice to whatever blind fools are running the Democratic Party these days.

I thought 2016 was bad. That was just the warm up for the true masterpiece of self destruction.

If they continue to force Joe Biden on us and he loses...well I worry about the future of the Party. And, of course, the country.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on July 15, 2024, 10:53:52 AMnoun
a person who expects or is excessively ready to accept failure.

adjective
demonstrating expectation or acceptance of failure.

Then by the first definition anyone who is "excessively" ready to accept failure is in the wrong.  They are doing something excessively.

I'm also not sure what "accept" means in this context.  I also don't know what it means to "embrace" an expectation of failure.

"I expect Donald Trump will win this election."  I know exactly what that means. 

So to answer your question, I'm not sure because I don't understand the question clearly.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2024, 10:58:46 AMFrom this: "We've all resigned ourselves to a second Trump presidency."?

Sure, a dissapointing, suboptimal expectation.

Sheilbh

Also, crucially, this isn't Democratic voters or journalists. These people aren't bystanders commentating. They're senior Democrats - actors with agency in what the Democrats do and how they perform. If they are resigned, what have they done so far?

This feels very "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas".

I find the lack of energy, restlessness or even a bit of raw ambition mind boggling.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

I'm sure Reagan would have been just as successful in politics if instead of talking about "morning in America" he moped around talking about how he was resigned to American falling into crushing debt.

Yes morale matters, enthusiasm matters, the ability to project optimism and confidence matters.  Politics isn't math, it is about the art of shaping expectations.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2024, 07:18:12 AM(Total aside - I will never not find it weird that people tried to kill Gerald Ford of all presidents twice :huh:)

Yeah the wikipedia list of United States presidential assassination attempts is a sobering read. So far 4 presidents have been assassinated and I didn't know both Roosevelts were shot at for instance (Teddy was wounded). Andrew Jackson was the first president to have an attempt on his life in 1835 but both pistols misfired. Most original attempt IMO was the guy who seriously tried to kill Richard Nixon by hijacking a commercial airliner and crashing it into the White House. Heh in actuarial terms being a US president is like a combination of a BASE jumper, forestry worker&/fisherman & unexploded ordnance disposal.  :hmm:

List of United States presidential assassination attempts and plots

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.