News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I'm not sure it makes sense to worry about the conspiracy minded losing faith. Remember pizza parlors?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2024, 11:38:27 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 14, 2024, 06:23:48 AMVery surprising news.
I expect a lot of conspiracies on this one. It really does seem so absolutely perfect for the trumpies.
Enhances trumps tough guy image, builds up the projectionist nonsense about the violence and anti democratic leanings of the left /deep state / woke.

I do wonder what brand of crazy led to this considering he's very much from the trump supporting demographics.

I don't think it was someone trying to do Trump a favor.

The Argentines weren't trying to give thatcher a hand when they invaded the Falklands.
That's the effect it had.
Sometimes something which is against a side, might even come from their fuck ups, can actually end up helping it a lot.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Josquius

Former president? That's traitor talk.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 14, 2024, 12:11:44 PMIf there was any thinking that Biden would consider stepping down soon (I doubted it)...this will necessarily paralyze it. 

It would be terrible optics in the conventional sense, and would massively fuel those who are conspiracy-minded.

I don't think that Biden was ever going to step down; (he first ran for president before I could drive and I'm in my 50s now, he's wanted this for a very, very long time), but I think this will remove the pressure he has faced to step aside and reduced the possibility of a convention fight.  For the first time in over two weeks he's not the lead story and the focus is on Trump instead.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on July 14, 2024, 12:51:26 PM
I expect a lot of conspiracies on this one. It really does seem so absolutely perfect for the trumpies.
Enhances trumps tough guy image, builds up the projectionist nonsense about the violence and anti democratic leanings of the left /deep state / woke.

I do wonder what brand of crazy led to this considering he's very much from the trump supporting demographics.

The Argentines weren't trying to give thatcher a hand when they invaded the Falklands.
Sometimes something which is against a side, might even come from their fuck ups, can actually end up helping it a lot.

1. No shit Sherlock.
2. No shit Sherlock.
3. No shit Sherlock.

Why are you responding to my post with these comments?  Are you agreeing with me that it's not a conspiracy?  If so you have a strange way of agreeing.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2024, 01:27:13 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 14, 2024, 12:51:26 PM

1. No shit Sherlock.
2. No shit Sherlock.
3. No shit Sherlock.

Why are you responding to my post with these comments?  Are you agreeing with me that it's not a conspiracy?  If so you have a strange way of agreeing.

Why were you replying to me to say you don't think someone was trying to do trump a favour?
No shit sherlock.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Savonarola on July 14, 2024, 01:12:13 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 14, 2024, 12:11:44 PMIf there was any thinking that Biden would consider stepping down soon (I doubted it)...this will necessarily paralyze it. 

It would be terrible optics in the conventional sense, and would massively fuel those who are conspiracy-minded.

I don't think that Biden was ever going to step down; (he first ran for president before I could drive and I'm in my 50s now, he's wanted this for a very, very long time), but I think this will remove the pressure he has faced to step aside and reduced the possibility of a convention fight.  For the first time in over two weeks he's not the lead story and the focus is on Trump instead.

Agree...it will take some more serious events for Biden to step down/get enough pressure to step down.  A letter from George Clooney is not going to cut it.

I think much of the calculation, beyond Biden's own stubbornness, is that there is no calculus that any alternative would fare much better (Michelle Obama will not run...that is a pipe dream).  And I think that calculus is correct...the partisan lines have mostly already been solidified.  There is some fluidity in the battleground states that matter...Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan...but the two main suggested alternates would not do well.  Newsom might rhetorically bodyslam Trump, but despite that he and Harris, as "evil/woke Californians" will likely get butchered in PA and Michigan, with Wisconsin as a very risky toss-up.  Gretchen Whitmer might do much better in those states, but I don't think the DNC has the stomach to try and run her in place of Biden.

And if Biden were to drop out (by choice or by force)...I am 90% sure it would end up being Harris.  I have the impression that she has an ego comparable to Biden's and will not get sidelined quietly.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on July 14, 2024, 02:45:00 PMWhy were you replying to me to say you don't think someone was trying to do trump a favour?
No shit sherlock.

I'll be happy to answer your question after you answer mine.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2024, 02:53:56 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 14, 2024, 02:45:00 PMWhy were you replying to me to say you don't think someone was trying to do trump a favour?
No shit sherlock.

I'll be happy to answer your question after you answer mine.
Of course it isn't a conspiracy.
It is interesting/scary that things seem so lined up so in trumps favour from an act on paper so horrid for him, but this wouldn't be the first time such has happened.
So?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on July 14, 2024, 02:55:04 PMOf course it isn't a conspiracy.
It is interesting/scary that things seem so lined up so in trumps favour from an act on paper so horrid for him, but this wouldn't be the first time such has happened.
So?

You didn't answer my question but I guess this is the best I can hope for.

I responded to your comments with my post because I thought you were waffling and weasling and innuendoing that this might be a false flag while trying to avoid being seen as a conspiracy nutter.  "This really does seem so perfect for Trump."

The Minsky Moment

Re conspiracies, what strikes me about this incident is that other than the identity of the target, how drearily ordinary it is. Mass shootings are a commonplace in 21st century America and while not all perps are the same, it would be gross understatement to say that the profile of a young male underachiever with social difficulties and an affinity for gun culture is no surprise. While we don't know motive, we can certainly say that if one of the shooter's aims was to trade his life for some degree of lasting posthumous fame/infamy, he certainly achieved that objective.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2024, 12:12:36 PM

Please elaborate.

I don't think there is much need to, but ok...

#1:  I don't think Biden has any plans to drop out anyway, but the timing would look very odd.  "America needs unity, violence is unacceptable...and I quit."

#2:  It would whip up the (mostly irrelevant/already bonkers, as Garbon said) the "OMG, the Deep State tried to vanquish him but our savior Trump was protected by almighty H0d, and now crooked Biden is slinking away in fear of His power".

Simply put...there is no upside.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Heard on NPR that he was a registered Republican and had given $15 to a progressive organization in 2021.