News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2024, 05:45:50 PMhttps://nypost.com/2024/07/15/us-news/corey-comperatores-widow-reveals-his-final-words-before-he-was-killed-at-trump-rally/

So if you dig through this NYPost article...

Talks about the family of the fellow who was killed at the Trump assassination attempt.  I mean - he sounds like a very decent fellow.  I'm sorry for his family's loss.

Joe Biden called the family to express his sorrow.  The widow declined the call - saying her husband, a fervent Trump supporter, wouldn't have wanted her to.  To which - fair enough.

Widow does say she doesn't blame Biden in the least - that it was some 20 year old kid who killed her husband, not Joe Biden.

The kicker though:

QuoteShe said the family has not heard from Trump — but is steadfast Biden isn't welcome.

And remember - this is the NY Post.

The guy doesn't sound so great when you realize that he's taught his wife that partisan spite should overrule even the slightest hint of courtesy to anyone outside the cult.  If this was a Democratic family refusing to accept a condolence call from a Republican president, the MAGAt knives would be out.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 15, 2024, 04:30:55 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2024, 03:25:51 PMThe POTUS cannot unilaterally withdraw from NATO.

Of course he can. It's been done many times before. For example, as part of the move to recognize the PRC, Carter unilaterally cancelled the US-Republic of China defense treaty.  He was sued by members of Congress disputing his authority and the Supreme Court ruled that the controversy was non-justiciable. As a result, the treaty became defunct.

Moreover, even if he didn't go so far as to abrogate the NATO treaty outright, he could render US adherence a dead letter by just refusing to cooperate anymore with any of the NATO structures, like France did under de Gaulle.

Trump has already made clear he isn't leaving NATO, and I simply disagree he could leave on his own.

Legbiter

Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2024, 07:00:38 PMTrump's (Project 2025) military posture is to basically withdraw from NATO except for the nuclear guarantee, so as to create such a strong defense of Taiwan that the PRC will abandon all hope of being able to invade.  I can't see the Trump Administration or Trump personally reversing course to suddenly support all those "lazy European countries that won't defend themselves."  Trump has said explicitly that he would welcome a Russian invasion of any NATO country that doesn't meet the agreed level of defense spending and that he would do nothing to stop it.

Bad things could happen. But if you don't vote Democrat in some fashion next time I'll have lost an enormous pillar of metaphysical certainty. Like if you said fuck Biden I'm just going to stay home, it would come close to shattering me.  :sleep:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on July 15, 2024, 07:17:25 PMBad things could happen. But if you don't vote Democrat in some fashion next time I'll have lost an enormous pillar of metaphysical certainty. Like if you said fuck Biden I'm just going to stay home, it would come close to shattering me.  :sleep:

The only way I'm not voting for Biden is if I am dead.  The prospect of a second Trump term terrifies me and the fact that it is even possible has left my faith in the American voter in tatters.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2024, 11:38:29 PMHeard on NPR that he was a registered Republican and had given $15 to a progressive organization in 2021.
Was a 69 year old guy with the same name
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2024, 07:24:32 PMThe only way I'm not voting for Biden is if I am dead.  The prospect of a second Trump term terrifies me and the fact that it is even possible has left my faith in the American voter in tatters.

Thanks. The stars remain in their orbits.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2024, 05:51:40 PMDoes anyone know if this firefighter dude was killed by an assassin bullet or Secret Service bullet?

The assassin was located nowhere near the viewing stand...the Secret Service snipers would not have been firing anywhere near that direction. (and there is no indication that any other members of the SS detail opened fire). 

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2024, 07:08:40 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2024, 03:25:51 PMThe POTUS cannot unilaterally withdraw from NATO.

Of course he can. It's been done many times before. For example, as part of the move to recognize the PRC, Carter unilaterally cancelled the US-Republic of China defense treaty.  He was sued by members of Congress disputing his authority and the Supreme Court ruled that the controversy was non-justiciable. As a result, the treaty became defunct.

Moreover, even if he didn't go so far as to abrogate the NATO treaty outright, he could render US adherence a dead letter by just refusing to cooperate anymore with any of the NATO structures, like France did under de Gaulle.

Trump has already made clear he isn't leaving NATO, and I simply disagree he could leave on his own.

You keep saying these things, but it would be appreciated if you could source them.

Not that you have to, of course.  You can make all the unsourced statements you like.  But I think I thoroughly disagree.

John Bolton, Trump's own former National Security Advisor, quoted Trump as saying "I don't give a shit about NATO".

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/06/23/bolton-book-trump-nato-ukraine-election/

Other former Trump advisors have said similar things.

So if all you've got is "POTUS cannot unilaterally withdraw from NATO" - I agree.  But I can't see how it makes any difference.  If Trump as Commander-in-Chief simply says he will not abide by Article V then NATO is dead, whether or not the US is still formally a member.

If you have some statement that makes it seem like Trump intends to actually abide by the USA's NATO commitment I would love to see it, because otherwise as a Canadian that is something that scares me shitless (to use Trumpian language).  Because look, as a right-wing Canadian I would love to rhetorically support the GOP candidate for US president.  Joe Biden is no friend of mine.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2024, 07:08:40 PMTrump has already made clear he isn't leaving NATO

Clear as mud.

Quoteand I simply disagree he could leave on his own.

You are entitled to your opinion. But your disagreement won't stop it from happening. Nor is there any other mechanism to stop it. If Justice Rehnquist wouldn't stop Jimmy Carter, Roberts & Co. won't stop Donald Trump.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on July 15, 2024, 06:09:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2024, 03:39:47 PMFinally - I think you also think that withdrawing from NATO would be a really bad thing.

The funny thing with the Russians hoping for a compliant Trump who'll just pull away from NATO/Ukraine, given his capricious nature is the following very likely (IMO) scenario:

Trump offers Putin a deal on Ukraine, the best deal, just amazing. Putin will dismiss it haughtily and mistake it for subservience like Russians are prone to do with every gesture that is not a hard kick to the face.

And then drone swarms in the 10,000s and hundreds of F-16's and Abrams tanks in the Zaporozhye plains summer 2026.  :hmm:

As to Trump and Europe, eh, Charlie will invite him over to Buckie for a banquet and a diet coke. Throw in an honour guard and bands as well. It worked very well last time. The White House staff will make sure he's distracted with plenty of things to do and any intemperate social media messages or phone calls will get sandbagged and garbled as last time.

He just wants another ride on the roller coaster.

The vatniks are laughing at your naivete.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2024, 07:24:32 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on July 15, 2024, 07:17:25 PMBad things could happen. But if you don't vote Democrat in some fashion next time I'll have lost an enormous pillar of metaphysical certainty. Like if you said fuck Biden I'm just going to stay home, it would come close to shattering me.  :sleep:

The only way I'm not voting for Biden is if I am dead.  The prospect of a second Trump term terrifies me and the fact that it is even possible has left my faith in the American voter in tatters.

:hug:  :hug:

I think Trump pretty much terrified NATO general secretary Jens Stoltenberg too. Not with his brilliant intellect but total lack of understanding of how NATO worked.

Tamas

Look at you guys debating what Trump has said or hasn't said as if that matters one bit either way.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2024, 01:23:40 AMLook at you guys debating what Trump has said or hasn't said as if that matters one bit either way.

:lol:

Unfortunately true. Engaging with MAGA faithful on the basis of facts is equally fruitless.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2024, 07:08:40 PM

Trump is also a consistant liar...

Josquius

Thinking about the replacing Biden thing.
Completely ignore his health and everything for a second. Pretend he's a perfectly healthy 55 year old.
...even there I do suspect there may be an argument for this. I'm increasingly seeing chatter about current inflation levels and the general state of things with Biden getting the blame.
Lots of the general public who don't care about the overall economic numbers looking up- they just care about what they see in their pocket, where normal people are struggling. For reasons beyond Biden's control its true. But still. He seems to be getting the blame.
██████
██████
██████