What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2023, 11:28:51 PM34 Class E Felonies? That is a lot of felonies, even if they're class E

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-trump-to-be-charged-tuesday-with-34-felony-counts-but-spared-handcuffs-and-mug-shot-001241750.html

It's going to be a series of related business records violations, enhanced to Class E felony by circumstances (eg concealing fed campaign law violations).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Each false entry on a business record is a violation.  So if there are multiple installment payments, the entry of each payment becomes a separate count.  It may also be that there are more than one false entries per payment.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

The number of counts on an information or indictment is almost meaningless.

It really depends just how thinly the prosecution wants to slice the alleged bad acts.  As mentioned you can slice it so finly to include every single line item in a fraudulent transaction - or you could just lay a single count which says "on or between X and Y dates..." and cover the exact same bad acts.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PJL

Anyone got an idea on how long this trial will go on for? I hope it won't go on for months and months - I don't really want Trump back in the news again 25/7.

Barrister

Quote from: PJL on April 04, 2023, 12:19:23 PMAnyone got an idea on how long this trial will go on for? I hope it won't go on for months and months - I don't really want Trump back in the news again 25/7.

I think what you want then is a really quick trial date.

The Minsky Moment

Yeah the trial itself shouldn't take very long - although jury selection is likely to go longer than usual.  The bigger question is how long before the case goes to trial.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PJL on April 04, 2023, 12:19:23 PMAnyone got an idea on how long this trial will go on for? I hope it won't go on for months and months - I don't really want Trump back in the news again 25/7.

Wait until there's three more trials, especially if they're overlapping.

And even if there weren't any trials, he'd still be in the news 25/7.  It's in his nature. He's never going anywhere. Ever.

The Minsky Moment

QuoteThe Defendant directed Lawyer A to delay making a payment to Woman 2 as
long as possible. He instructed Lawyer A that if they could delay the payment until after the
election, they could avoid paying altogether, because at that point it would not matter if the story
became public

Kills the Edwards defense.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Looks like Bragg has played it smart and gone with a tight focused case.  There will be a legal challenge to using a federal law violation as a predicate to upgrading the state charge to a felony.  But I think that probably fails because the statutory language is not limited it any way.  Initial guess is Bragg likely gets a conviction, but unless this is superseded with other kinds of felony charges, it likely ends in a probationary sentence.  Of course Trump could talk himself into worse if he can't shut himself up.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The stills of him shitting bricks in the courthouse is reward enough.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 04, 2023, 03:55:25 PMThe stills of him shitting bricks in the courthouse is reward enough.
Also court sketches :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Why do all court artists take acid before painting?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on April 04, 2023, 04:16:05 PMWhy do all court artists take acid before painting?

My understanding (and we don't have court artists in Canada as far as I know) is these pictures have to be turned out in a very short timeframe, so by necessity they have to go for a more impressionistic style.