What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on June 09, 2017, 12:27:23 PM
Sadly, the last election proved that they knew exactly how stupid you all are.  :(

Chances they will get clean away with this latest brazen effrontery = very high.

I wouldn't say that.

The Mueller investigation is ongoing.  Comey has turned over everything he knows.  And we know from Comey's evidence that there is more to the story he couldn't tell in public.

Now I don't know what will happen.  Maybe this will be like Iran-Contra, where heads rolled but the President was untouched.  But even in Iran-Contra you can't say Reagan "Got clean away" - his Presidency was significantly impacted by the scandal in his second term.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

His second term was more than half over by then.  And in the end it didn't matter, because he got his beatification.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 09, 2017, 12:39:40 PM
His second term was more than half over by then.  And in the end it didn't matter, because he got his beatification.

And Trump is only months into his term.

Barrister

I mean hell - it's already affected his Presidency.  Trump hasn't been able to get away with removing any Russian sanctions, or even met with Putin, due to this cloud over his Presidency.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2017, 01:00:17 PM
I mean hell - it's already affected his Presidency.  Trump hasn't been able to get away with removing any Russian sanctions, or even met with Putin, due to this cloud over his Presidency.

Yeah, he's only conceded Russia's main strategic goal in Europe since World War II by undermining NATO and straining the US-German alliance.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2017, 12:59:11 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 09, 2017, 12:39:40 PM

And Trump is only months into his term.

Maybe you're missing my point; I am disagreeing with your assertion that Reagan's presidency was "significantly impacted by the scandal in his second term."

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 09, 2017, 11:07:11 AM
Kasowitz and the President's people want us to believe that:

+ Comey is a liar out to get Trump
+ Comey vindicates Trump because he testified Trump didn't do anything bad

+ Comey illegally leaked the contents of confidential communications with the President
+ The information contained in Comey's memo is all lies and didn't happen

+ There is no obstruction because Trump never told Comey he would lose his job over the Russia investigation, Comey was mistaken in assuming a connection
+ Trump fired Comey because of the Russia investigation

How stupid do they think we all are?

I just read, Trump is willing to testify under oath that Comey lied.  And he is saying he may or may not have recordings of the conversations.  So, Congress wants the tapes by June 23rd.

That'd be nice to see.

I wonder, does perjurdy fall under reasons for impeachment?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2017, 04:12:23 PM

Perjury is what got Clinton impeached.

There's a legal theory floating around that the POTUS is temporarily immune from prosecution, but it's not 100% (see Paula Jones). If Trump were to commit perjury and not be impeached for it, it would be one hell of a long, messy legal battle.
Experience bij!

garbon

CNN cut ties with that presenter who called Trump a piece of shit? WTF? He is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 09, 2017, 04:35:18 PM

There's a legal theory floating around that the POTUS is temporarily immune from prosecution, but it's not 100% (see Paula Jones). If Trump were to commit perjury and not be impeached for it, it would be one hell of a long, messy legal battle.
what is required to begin an impeachment trial, a simple majority vote by the House?  I thing it requires 2/3 of both chambers for a guilty verdict?  But to beging the procedure...?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2017, 05:14:01 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 09, 2017, 04:35:18 PM

what is required to begin an impeachment trial, a simple majority vote by the House?  I thing it requires 2/3 of both chambers for a guilty verdict?  But to beging the procedure...?

No, just a simple majority in the House to indict, but a 2/3 majority in the Senate to convict.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 09, 2017, 11:07:11 AM
How stupid do they think we all are?
The audience is not all of us.  Just some of us. 

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2017, 12:37:23 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 09, 2017, 12:27:23 PM
Sadly, the last election proved that they knew exactly how stupid you all are.  :(

Chances they will get clean away with this latest brazen effrontery = very high.

I wouldn't say that.

The Mueller investigation is ongoing.  Comey has turned over everything he knows.  And we know from Comey's evidence that there is more to the story he couldn't tell in public.

Now I don't know what will happen.  Maybe this will be like Iran-Contra, where heads rolled but the President was untouched.  But even in Iran-Contra you can't say Reagan "Got clean away" - his Presidency was significantly impacted by the scandal in his second term.

... and yet, both the House and Senate cannot bring themselves to take this seriously.  When anyone manages to put country above party, or just manages to find their spine... now that's when it will get interesting.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Zanza

Donald Trump's state visit to Britain put on hold
US president told Theresa May he did not want trip to go ahead if there were large-scale public protests

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold