And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Canada's a bit shit

Started by Brazen, July 07, 2016, 06:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Brazen on July 08, 2016, 04:35:27 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2016, 12:53:32 PM
How can you write an article about the disadvantages of Canada and not mention winter?  :huh:
Because it's expected and even the most naive person considering a move there will be prepared for that. As the article says:

"It should come as no surprise that areas of Canada can get very cold in the winter - temperatures can drop to -40C (-40F) with severe wind chills."

:lol: That's funny Berry.

The Africans are never ready. (Both Arabs & Blacks)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

I dunno, if you were to do word association and someone said Canada, cold would be up there with Mounties, ice hockey, poutine and saying "Eh".

Grey Fox

Quote from: Brazen on July 08, 2016, 06:24:12 AM
I dunno, if you were to do word association and someone said Canada, cold would be up there with Mounties, ice hockey, poutine and saying "Eh".

Yes but they don't know what "cold" is or how winter is different from where you are from.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2016, 12:53:32 PM
How can you write an article about the disadvantages of Canada and not mention winter?  :huh:

The pervasive smugness will keep you warm, like naturally occurring hot springs.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2016, 07:08:36 AM
Quote from: Brazen on July 08, 2016, 06:24:12 AM

Yes but they don't know what "cold" is or how winter is different from where you are from.

Heh, this is true. I've had visitors come who knew intellectually what temperatures in Canada were like in winter, but were totally unprepared anyway. Just knowing it can get down to (say) -30 C isn't the same thing as knowing what being outside in -30 weather is like.

One example was my brother's wife, who is English. She came to visit us one February. We all told her it was a bad idea to come in the dead of winter, but she insisted she was well prepared for it; well, she wasn't.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

I don't think that the typical English person would know what sort of clothes are needed for -30 C.

On the other hand I have seen Canadians grumbling about how cold it was in the English winter  :lol:

The reason being that English people live in ancient draughty homes and do things like "I'll turn the heating off, its not that cold" or dash off to the pub in light clothing hoping to get to the warm before they get too chilled.

On my one visit to Canada the weather was all over the place as it was march/april. The strange thing for me was that the houses I stayed in were so weatherproof that I had no idea what the outside temperature was without a proper check.

Valmy

That is just a basic difference between Europe and North America. I mean it was not as hot in the south of France as it was in Texas but there was rarely any AC. The French just sort of sat around being hot or hoped their ancient stone buildings would stay cool. So as a result it was kind of uncomfortable even for a Texan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

There are clothes for 30C, clothes for 20C, clothes for 10C, and clothes for 0C.  However, I would have assumed that the clothes for 0C are basically invincible.  So the clothes for -30C are the same as the clothes for 0C. 

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2016, 05:49:08 AM
Well mind you, weather made things a bit odd as there was no nice choice like say SD weather (so I went with SF), here's what I got.

1) Ottawa
2) Glasgow
3) Belfast
4) Bristol
5) Singapore

:hmm:

edit: Weather seems to have little impact in their algorithm...<_<

I'm suspicious of any algorithm that would put Ottawa at the top of a "cities for you" list. I mean it's a nice enough city and all, but still...

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on July 08, 2016, 09:31:42 AM
There are clothes for 30C, clothes for 20C, clothes for 10C, and clothes for 0C.  However, I would have assumed that the clothes for 0C are basically invincible.  So the clothes for -30C are the same as the clothes for 0C. 

I think you are wrong about this. Sure it gets down to 0C here in Texas from time to time so I thought I was pretty well prepared. Then one winter it got down to about -15 and hung out there for about a week. Holy shit did I learn I needed different clothes than for 0C. So in the unlikely event that it ever gets that cold for that long again I have a big winter coat :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2016, 09:33:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2016, 05:49:08 AM
Well mind you, weather made things a bit odd as there was no nice choice like say SD weather (so I went with SF), here's what I got.

1) Ottawa
2) Glasgow
3) Belfast
4) Bristol
5) Singapore

:hmm:

edit: Weather seems to have little impact in their algorithm...<_<

I'm suspicious of any algorithm that would put Ottawa at the top of a "cities for you" list. I mean it's a nice enough city and all, but still...

Edinburgh was my top one until I said that I wanted over 500k population.

Belfast and Bristol are fairly nice but I think I'd quickly get bored with both (<2 years).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I have been told Bristol is one of the most boring places in the world. But those people have never spent time in a Texas suburb so what do they know?

Grey Fox

Degrees are not linear.

Malthus

Woah, not so. In 0 C, you can get by in a sweater or windbreaker if you are active. In -30, you would quickly freeze to death dressed like that.  :lol: 

At -30, exposed skin freezes fast: less than ten minutes. So you have to cover up, with insulated layers. The big problem at those temps is avoiding wearing too much clothing for your activity level - if you are active while wearing thick insulation, you start to sweat. So you need to wear layers. 

Edit: Mono, it is lucky you lived in Vancouver!  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2016, 09:55:55 AM
I have been told Bristol is one of the most boring places in the world. But those people have never spent time in a Texas suburb so what do they know?

Bristol is pretty nice. Lovely museums and churches. Nice eateries outside and some good views around as well. Leeds and Cardiff are definitely more boring.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.