News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Canada's a bit shit

Started by Brazen, July 07, 2016, 06:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Spoilers: it's bugs, cost of living, housing market,and inequality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36730174

Reasons people DO move there:

Healthy lifestyles
Good air quality
Scenery
Friendly reputation
LGBT rights
Longer maternity leave
Opportunities for women (even the cabinet is gender balanced)

Grey Fox

There are other cities than Toronto & Vancouver where CoL isn't that bad. For London Brits it's going to be dirt cheap.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Excellent education, free health care, fantastic air and environmental qualities are the main reasons often cited of why people go there.

Duque de Bragança

I guess for the fantastic air, people do not go to oil-rich Alberta.  :P

CountDeMoney

QuoteMeanwhile reports of mass suicide attempts in the First Nations community of Attawapiskat in Ontario in April brought renewed attention to the high levels of poverty and isolation experienced by Canada's 1.4 million indigenous people.

Well, I don't think a lot of Americans or Brits are packing up the family travois to follow the tatanka herd, so nobody really cares.

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on July 07, 2016, 06:06:11 AM
Opportunities for women (even the cabinet is gender balanced)

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Heh, the allegedly "horrifying" mosquito picture in the article is nothing.  :lol: I think the guy who posted that would literally die of horror if he saw what the bugs in Northern Quebec were like, in a bad year.

To repeat an anecdote: one spring I was sitting on the screen porch, just as the sun went down (what we call 'the hour of the bug' - they prefer dusk and dawn). I thought I heard a motorboat approaching the dock - a very loud 'burrrrrrrrrr' sound, like a motor approaching. I shone my flashlight out the screen to discover what was making that sound - it was literally millions of mosquitos buzzing against the screen. The screen was shiny black with them, you could not even see out.

We pissed in buckets that night, rather than opening the door to go to the outhouse ... we didn't dare. 

There are also many varieties of biting insects. Mosquitos are the most common, then there are blackflies - they are very numerous in spring (in some places, again, in huge swarms) but don't last long. Then there are stableflies (specialized in biting ankles), horseflies (huge and painful), and deerflies (very annoying - they always land on the back of your neck or head).

But to be fair, you won't see many bugs at all in the big cities. I've only seen like one mosquito in Toronto all year.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 07, 2016, 07:18:38 AM
I guess for the fantastic air, people do not go to oil-rich Alberta.  :P

Well, I have never been to Alberta.  But I suspect that Alberta has great air too. 

Barrister

The guy talking about bugs - he moved to Yellowknife, NWT.  It's the middle of the sub-arctic.  How the hell would he not know about the bugs - the NWT is notorious for its bugs.

Housing market - Vancouver and Toronto are the two most interesting places to live?  Oh my.

And who the fuck moves to a places because of who the leader is?  Leaders come and go all the time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Think of all those poor bastards who moved to Canada just because they wanted to be ruled by Stephen Harper.  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2016, 09:46:10 AM
Think of all those poor bastards who moved to Canada just because they wanted to be ruled by Stephen Harper.  :(

Those magnificent bastards. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2016, 09:45:07 AM
The guy talking about bugs - he moved to Yellowknife, NWT.  It's the middle of the sub-arctic.  How the hell would he not know about the bugs - the NWT is notorious for its bugs.

It is here. In other places, you would be surprised what people know about the NWT.  ;) Namely, "nothing".  :lol:

QuoteHousing market - Vancouver and Toronto are the two most interesting places to live?  Oh my.

The article traffics in the truth.  :)

QuoteAnd who the fuck moves to a places because of who the leader is?  Leaders come and go all the time.

They just want the light of his countenance to shine upon them.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

The place seems stuffed full of rather nice people, must be a hell-hole.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2016, 09:45:07 AM
Housing market - Vancouver and Toronto are the two most interesting places to live?  Oh my.

:lol:

Josquius

According to teleport.org I should move to Canada.  :unsure:
██████
██████
██████