News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Canada's a bit shit

Started by Brazen, July 07, 2016, 06:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2016, 12:53:32 PM
How can you write an article about the disadvantages of Canada and not mention winter?  :huh:

Winters in Vancouver are pretty mild.

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2016, 05:12:20 PM
Never experienced a Canadian winter but I can imagine it is fantastic.
All of the good sides (snow, being snug around a fire, bracing air) with none of the bad sides (darkness)

:o

Josq being naively positive about something!?!?!

Trump's candidacy, Brexit, and now this. 2016 is truly a strange year.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2016, 04:13:24 PM
Another thing not mentioned in the article is that Canada seems to be filled to the brim with lawyers, if Languish is any indication.

And not an accountant in sight! Truly, Canada is a blessed land.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on July 07, 2016, 05:26:43 PM
Another thing not mentioned in the article is that Canada seems to be filled to the brim with lawyers, if Languish is any indication.

What do you have against HVC?

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on July 07, 2016, 05:29:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 07, 2016, 05:26:43 PM

What do you have against HVC?

Hush, you.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2016, 01:04:47 PM
I got:
1. Cluj-Napoca, Romania
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Tartu, Estonia
4. Zurich, Switzerland
5. Singapore

:blink:

Better than me.  My top 5:

1)  Sofia
2)  Skopje
3)  Budapest
4)  Minsk
5)  Prague

The only Western cities in my top 25 were Montreal, San Jose, and Berlin.  The top US cities other than San Jose were Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Austin, and Salt Lake City. 

Maybe I ought to try it again and check "low corruption" as important, but I think what's really screwing with the results is that our mortgage payment is so low.

crazy canuck

How can you write an article about the disadvantages of Canada and not mention winter?  :huh:

Easily if you realize that not all Canada is Edmonton  :P

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 07, 2016, 11:11:53 PM

Easily if you realize that not all Canada is Edmonton  :P

Pshaw.

Edmonton has pretty wimpy winters compared to Winnipeg (lots more snow) or Whitehorse (lots more darkness).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

Because it's expected and even the most naive person considering a move there will be prepared for that. As the article says:

"It should come as no surprise that areas of Canada can get very cold in the winter - temperatures can drop to -40C (-40F) with severe wind chills."

Archy

Quote from: viper37 on July 07, 2016, 04:08:50 PM
Because it's not? :)
Winter = no deadly snakes, no deadly spiders, no gigantic reptiles that take a kid from the beach and drag him underwater for a late nigh snack, no white sharks near the beaches, no nothing that could ambush you in the dark and bite you until you die an horrible painful death.
you can already apply to Estonian E-citizenship to test it out ;-)
https://e-estonia.com/e-residents/about/

Brazen

My list comes up as:
1. Singapore
2. London
3. LA
4. Hong Kong
5. Toronto

I've worked in Singapore, visited Hong Kong a couple of times and have relatives in Toronto. Singapore and Hong Kong are tiny compared with London and its urban sprawl and I fear I'd have seen and done it all in a few years. Maybe I'll just stick with second best.

Archy

Grüss Gott,

I have apparently a very German taste (except for number 5)
1)Wien
2)Berlin
3)Köln
4)München
5)Kobenhavn

I've only been to Cologne of the cities above. To be honest I found it a modern boring city, i suspect a consequence of the bombings, nice Roman Museum and Cathedral though.
Would love to visit Vienna & Berlin though.

garbon

Well mind you, weather made things a bit odd as there was no nice choice like say SD weather (so I went with SF), here's what I got.

1) Ottawa
2) Glasgow
3) Belfast
4) Bristol
5) Singapore

:hmm:

edit: Weather seems to have little impact in their algorithm...<_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Before we all set off to Singapore to set up a Languish commune, let us remind ourselves of its rather intolerant views towards homosexuality, chewing gum, smoking, litter and vandalism (for which an American was famously caned). Also:

QuoteNot flushing the toilet is more than just a breach of propriety in Singapore, you will be breaking the law if you do so. Expect to pay a fine if you get caught. Don't even think of urinating in elevators, as they are equipped with Urine Detection Devices (UDD), which detect the scent of urine, setting off an alarm and closing the doors until the police arrive to arrest the offender.

http://www.goabroad.com/articles/study-abroad/singapore-laws-to-know-before-you-go