News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Canada's a bit shit

Started by Brazen, July 07, 2016, 06:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2016, 09:15:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 08, 2016, 08:59:53 PMMore to the point why would anyone move to those parts when there are far better parts. :)

When did Canada annex some Caribbean islands?
we talk about it, from time to time.  With all the help we sent Haiti, we could have bought the place and turn it into a resort of some kind :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2016, 11:07:43 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2016, 08:50:24 AM
The American grasp of geography can be weak at times but Vancouver is nowhere near the Caribbean.

So, therefore, it is not far better. How is your summer going? Put away the sweaters yet?
right now, it's 15C in Vancouver.  Also 15C in my hometown.  I don't see how it's much better... ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on July 09, 2016, 12:23:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2016, 09:15:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 08, 2016, 08:59:53 PMMore to the point why would anyone move to those parts when there are far better parts. :)

When did Canada annex some Caribbean islands?
we talk about it, from time to time.  With all the help we sent Haiti, we could have bought the place and turn it into a resort of some kind :(

I'm not sure there's enough money in all of Canada to turn Haiti from a shithole into a resort.  I'm not sure there's enough money in the entire Western Hemisphere for that.

crazy canuck

The American grasp of geography can be weak at times but Vancouver is nowhere near the Caribbean.

So, therefore, it is not far better. How is your summer going? Put away the sweaters yet?

The rare days we do not have perfect weather I comfort myself by thinking of all those people in Texas.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 09, 2016, 12:24:36 PM

right now, it's 15C in Vancouver.  Also 15C in my hometown.  I don't see how it's much better... ;)

Yeah, its a really bad day today.  Lets compare one of your winter days when it goes below 0  ;)

Monoriu

I have no idea which five cities in the world I'd like to move to.  Because it is so obvious that Hong Kong is the only place where I have any realistic chance of finding a job.  I am basically unemployable elsewhere.  Finding work will be a waste of time.  But if I have to put down something to complete the list, it will be -

1. Hong Kong
2. London (UK citizen, happiest city on earth, friendly people, fantastic food, racially tolerant)
3. Toronto (Canadian citizen, biggest city in Canada, racially tolerant)
4. Shanghai (biggest city in China, internet issues, air quality issues)
5. Singapore (would be no. 2 on this list if not for the small problem that I don't have Singaporean citizenship or right to live there)

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on July 07, 2016, 03:42:52 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 07, 2016, 03:24:46 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 07, 2016, 03:10:36 PM
1.) Tallinn, Estonia
2.) Tartu, Estonia
3.) Cluj-Napoca, Romania
4.) Minsk, Belarus
5.) Vilnius, Lithuania

What an adventure those would be; but I don't think I could talk my wife to moving into any of those places.

What did you select to end up in the Eastern Bloc?  :lol:

I said I wasn't overly worried about corruption or crime (being from Detroit and all 1.), but no to pollution or traffic (it was trying to stick me in Hyderabad before that).

1.)  Actually maybe I could talk CB into those places; it will be just like home, dear, only they speak Estonian.  You'll pick it up in no time.

On the subject of places that are just like Detroit; CB took the quiz and she ended up with Manchester, Edinburgh :scots:, Leeds and Birmingham (Glasgow must not have been an option.)  So you can take the gal out of the industrial wasteland, but you can't take the industrial wasteland out of the gal.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on July 09, 2016, 06:08:49 PM
Because it is so obvious that Hong Kong is the only place where I have any realistic chance of finding a job.  I am basically unemployable elsewhere. 
Why so?  Canada&USA still hires Chinese, even though we don't build so much railroads as before, you know. ;)

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on July 11, 2016, 07:15:07 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 09, 2016, 06:08:49 PM
Because it is so obvious that Hong Kong is the only place where I have any realistic chance of finding a job.  I am basically unemployable elsewhere. 
Why so?  Canada&USA still hires Chinese, even though we don't build so much railroads as before, you know. ;)

My skill set is pretty much limited to working in a government setting, specifically the Hong Kong government.  If I leave the government, I am semi-confident that I can find work in Hong Kong NGOs or government-related institutions, like universities.  But other than that, my knowledge and skills are pretty much useless.  Canadian institutions will be much better off hiring someone a lot younger and cheaper than me. 

Eddie Teach

I'm sure Tim Horton's would hire you.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I would hire you, Mono.  I would give you a razor-sharp bowler's hat, with which you would dispatch my enemies with brutal fiscal conservatism.  You would be called: Han Seng.

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Ed Anger

I wouldn't hire any of you. Except Seedy and Peedy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive