And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass killing in Orlando gay nightclub

Started by Malicious Intent, June 12, 2016, 06:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2016, 07:22:09 PM
Quote from: Jaron on June 12, 2016, 07:18:25 PM
Sad to watch the right pretend to care about gay lives because it helps their anti-Islam agenda.

It is rather interesting to see them suddenly fighting for gay and womens rights in this very specific context.

It is. That's why they should not be trusted.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jaron

Quote from: Legbiter on June 12, 2016, 07:23:34 PM
Sad to watch the right pretend to care about gay lives because it helps their anti-Islam agenda.

Exactly. Do not allow these awful people to tarnish the otherwise outstanding reputation of peace that Islam has built up over the years.

It has less to do with Islam than the hypocrisy people show in suddenly claiming to care about the rights and well being of a group they spend considerable energy to marginalize and criminalize.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Legbiter

It is rather interesting to see them suddenly fighting for gay and womens rights in this very specific context.

On the other hand being all gay like that during Ramadan was probably a bit culturally insensitive.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Jaron on June 12, 2016, 07:24:47 PM

Exactly. Do not allow these awful people to tarnish the otherwise outstanding reputation of peace that Islam has built up over the years.

It has less to do with Islam than the hypocrisy people show in suddenly claiming to care about the rights and well being of a group they spend considerable energy to marginalize and criminalize.

No this is false equivalence on your part i.e. only Hillaryfags can be Goodpersons such as yourself.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

11B4V

And you have these folks.

NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUOBFjRGvPI
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

alfred russel

Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2016, 07:24:11 PM

It is. That's why they should not be trusted.

Also, the stuff that went down in the GWB administration. And Sarah Palin was their VP nominee. And they've picked Donald Trump this time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Quote from: Legbiter on June 12, 2016, 07:28:01 PM

No this is false equivalence on your part i.e. only Hillaryfags can be Goodpersons such as yourself.

I'm not saying right wingers/conservatives are bad people. I am saying their positions are inconsistent. Conservatives rail against painting with too broad a brush if its them being painted. Gun control is a great example of this. Conservative positions in America have brought us arguments like gay marriage will destroy the traditional family, will lead to incest and sex with animals. They argue they shouldn't be forced to serve them in places of business because gays are from Satan.

Now that someone agrees with them enough to mow a bunch of gay people down in a night club, conservatives stand with the gay community? Suddenly the lives and lifestyle are worth defending? Only because the attacker scares them more than the attacked. Had this not been done by a Muslim, I'm sure the argument would be that liberals pushed him too far because of Obama's executive actions and overreach by the Supreme Court.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

11B4V

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Legbiter on June 12, 2016, 07:26:19 PM
On the other hand being all gay like that during Ramadan was probably a bit culturally insensitive.

:lol:  And they're not even halal.

OttoVonBismarck

I think it's a condemnation of society that so much energy is being expended over how to "classify" an attack in which 50 people were killed.

The simple reality is, it was an Islamic terror attack targeted against the gay community in America and Orlando in specific. There's no reason to think it can't be both a terrorist attack and a hate crime. If anyone knows anything about fundamentalist Islam, it's filled with no thing but bigotry. So there's always a high chance anytime there's an Islamic terrorist killing, the killer was a bigot. He's not always targeting people based on bigotry, but sometimes they are, and this is one of those cases.

While I think there's valid concerns about our gun laws, and have long advocated for stricter ones, the reality is that someone who is an ISIS sympathizer and hell bent on shooting a place up will almost certainly be able to do so regardless of gun laws. Look at the Paris attackers--they simply acquired guns through the black market. There's no magic secret about how to do that.

Now, I do think for the "mentally unstable white guy" type of attack, stricter gun laws would be a big impediment. I have a hard time imagining guys like Adam Lanza, James Holmes, or Jared Loughner being able to navigate the black market and find an illegal arms dealer. But that isn't really the situation here. This guy wasn't some mentally ill white boy afraid to leave his Mom's basement (except for target practice and shooting people time), I think even with strict gun laws he'd have gotten his weapons. When you can get actual automatic weapons  (which are legitimately fucking hard to get in the United States) into Paris, in a country with far stricter gun laws than the United States, the reality is motivated bad people can get guns just about anywhere. Of course interestingly one of the most famous mass shootings--Columbine, did involve some illegally acquired guns (they bought their guns from two different friends who were old enough to buy guns legally.)

derspiess

Not surprised to see Languish attacking the right, as if they were the actual villains here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

WTF, how does a guy like this who is already on the watchlist slip through the cracks.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/orlando-nightclub-shooting-live-updates/suspect-spoke-of-killing/

Jun 12, 2016
Sun Jun 12 2016 19:37:38 GMT+0900 (대한민국 표준시)

Alan Blinder

Fort Pierce, Fla.

Former Co-Worker: 'He Talked About Killing People All the Time'

One of Mr. Mateen's former co-workers said in an interview on Sunday that he had expressed concerns about the man's demeanor when they both worked as security guards assigned to PGA Village, a resort in Port St. Lucie, Fla.

"He talked about killing people all the time," the former co-worker, Daniel Gilroy, said.

According to Mr. Gilroy, who said that he had repeatedly complained to G4S, the security company that employed them, Mr. Mateen was a loud, profane presence who was prone to using racial, ethnic and sexual slurs.

Mr. Gilroy, a former police officer in Fort Pierce, described Mr. Mateen as a man who had "issues and just constant anger."

"He was just agitated about everything, always shaken, always agitated, always mad," said Mr. Gilroy, who said his relationship with Mr. Mateen became increasingly tense, with Mr. Mateen badgering him with text messages 20 or 30 times a day.

Mr. Gilroy, who joined G4S after a career with the Fort Pierce police and later left the security firm, said he could not provide names of any other co-workers who could support his account of Mr. Mateen's behavior.

He expressed a measure of regret for not having pressed G4S to take more action.

"I kind of feel a little guilty that I didn't fight harder," Mr. Gilroy said. "If I didn't walk away and I fought, then maybe 50 people would still be alive today."

But he said he was not surprised to hear of what had happened in Orlando.

"I wasn't shocked," he said. "I saw it coming."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2016, 09:56:50 AM
Quote from: Caliga on June 12, 2016, 09:52:20 AM
This type of stuff will drive idiots to vote for Trump though. :weep:

Do those idiots care much about the death of gays?

Wow.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grinning_Colossus

In my experience, he actually looks like a normal Tehrangeleno, and they can't all be gay.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?