News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

File this under "B", for "Boo Fucking Hoo"

Started by CountDeMoney, May 31, 2016, 05:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on May 31, 2016, 01:32:00 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 31, 2016, 12:55:25 PMOne particular young woman making a bad decision? That is no evidence of a problem at all.

It's clearly a problem for her. Potentially it's one where the best way to address may not be to tell her "suck it up, don't be stupid".

It may not be indicative of a systemic problem, that's true.

It is also one where the best way to address it may not be to tell her "You're right, those people at Columbia are assholes and the teachers should have been nicer to you! I understand why you needed to bail out like that. And you would be an AWESOME STRIPPER!!!!".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

I'll wager one thing is for sure, it's was better to have this sort of 'meltdown' in a pre-connected online media world than it is today; I'd imagine the level of coverage can't be helping her situation/well-being.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on May 31, 2016, 01:34:22 PMIt is also one where the best way to address it may not be to tell her "You're right, those people at Columbia are assholes and the teachers should have been nicer to you! I understand why you needed to bail out like that. And you would be an AWESOME STRIPPER!!!!".

Agreed.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on May 31, 2016, 01:34:22 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 31, 2016, 12:55:25 PMOne particular young woman making a bad decision? That is no evidence of a problem at all.

It's clearly a problem for her. Potentially it's one where the best way to address may not be to tell her "suck it up, don't be stupid".

It is also one where the best way to address it may not be to tell her "You're right, those people at Columbia are assholes and the teachers should have been nicer to you! I understand why you needed to bail out like that. And you would be an AWESOME STRIPPER!!!!".

Who is advocating that someone should tell her that?

edit: Oh I see that's what she said her mother said to her.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

No kidding. I know I would hate for all my mistakes to be so public
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2016, 01:38:51 PM

Was it in the news item, as I didn't read that, nor did I look at pictures of here, so perhaps there or possibly someone in this thread introduced the 'concept' to the discussion, this is Languish after all.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on May 31, 2016, 01:40:57 PM

Was it in the news item, as I didn't read that, nor did I look at pictures of here, so perhaps there or possibly someone in this thread introduced the 'concept' to the discussion, this is Languish after all.

Fixed my post as apparently her mother said it.

Also, I'm not sure the girl is against the attention. After all, she did write the op-ed about herself.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/29/why-i-had-to-escape-my-ivy-league-life-and-disappear/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2016, 01:41:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 31, 2016, 01:40:57 PM

Fixed my post as apparently her mother said it.

Also, I'm not sure the girl is against the attention. After all, she did write the op-ed about herself.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/29/why-i-had-to-escape-my-ivy-league-life-and-disappear/

Oh thanks for that.

So maybe she's getting more level headed and trying to make the best of her situation*? :unsure:

* I'd hate to think this was a 'set-up' and skilful attempt to translate her life into a media presence?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2016, 10:59:03 AM
I have no problem with being burned out, this is an important step in growing up. The irresponsible disappearing act was a really selfish and shitty thing to do though.

Here's the thing, after you burnout and become seriously depressed you aren't thinking rationally.  You just want to hide.  Sometimes you want to kill yourself.  It's not a good place to be.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2016, 02:00:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2016, 10:59:03 AM
I have no problem with being burned out, this is an important step in growing up. The irresponsible disappearing act was a really selfish and shitty thing to do though.

Here's the thing, after you burnout and become seriously depressed you aren't thinking rationally.  You just want to hide.  Sometimes you want to kill yourself.  It's not a good place to be.

Yeah, I think a few here, not necessarily Valmy, aren't getting that point.

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on May 31, 2016, 01:44:43 PM
* I'd hate to think this was a 'set-up' and skilful attempt to translate her life into a media presence?

You mean fabricate some personal crisis in order to get attention & sympathy for yourself?  Nobody at Columbia would ever do that.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Read that op-ed and, hoo-boy. 

QuoteI had always fantasized about living in New York, but the first day I moved it was also my birthday. I felt really alienated and alone and didn't find the Columbia students very welcoming.

School just wasn't interesting to me anymore because I didn't have any close connections with my teachers.

I came from a small, tight-knit community at Thacher, and at ­Columbia I was lucky if a teacher talked to me. I'm a social learner and Columbia didn't provide me that opportunity.

So it's all the fault of the Columbia student body for not being welcoming enough, and the faculty's fault for not coddling her as a "social learner".

Doesn't seem like she feels responsible for any of it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2016, 02:30:41 PM
So it's all the fault of the Columbia student body for not being welcoming enough, and the faculty's fault for not coddling her as a "social learner".

You sure seem fixated on placing blame.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on May 31, 2016, 02:36:59 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2016, 02:30:41 PM

You sure seem fixated on placing blame.

It's what some families* do best.

* Languish could be a posterchild of this.