And we're back!

Main Menu

File this under "B", for "Boo Fucking Hoo"

Started by CountDeMoney, May 31, 2016, 05:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 31, 2016, 10:45:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2016, 10:41:48 AM
You know I don't agree with that simplistic statement, so I don't even know why you would suggest it.

I know nothing of the sort.  Presumably something in your example is price gouging, either the rent increase, the amount of the increase, telling you in advance, starting a letter with "oh."

Oh well. That sounds not fun for you. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on May 31, 2016, 10:47:02 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 31, 2016, 08:52:21 AM
This is exactly the sense of entitlement we see from DG and others and expressed in the other thread when they whine about how much it costs to live in the places they want to live. This girl is just another manifestation of that same idea. She will grow up, hopefully. She sounds super smart, if ridiculously sheltered. I am sure her career as a model will go great. Not.

Everyone has the *right* to live where they want, and have the job they want, and the career they want. And if they cannot, then it is some kind of systemic problem that must be solved by someone else - like the state, or the school, or...someone. Not yourself of course, gosh no.

Where did she ask anyone for anything? :huh:

A 19 year old that doesn't want the same thing she did when she wad 13, gee what a rare and terrible thing!   She decided she didn't want to do whatever she was doing anything more and took action herself to change her situation.   Sounds about right to me.

Outside of the disappearing act, which was a poor decision, and the Internet age letting this become a national story I would imagine these are not uncommon feelings for high achieving high school students as they move to college.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I have no problem with being burned out, this is an important step in growing up. The irresponsible disappearing act was a really selfish and shitty thing to do though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

I think growing up means you do what you need to do, even if you are burned out. 

Maladict

Quote from: Monoriu on May 31, 2016, 11:14:36 AM
I think growing up means you do what you want to do, epecially if you are burned out.

fyp

Jacob

I think growing up means you do what you need to do, even if you are burned out.

For sure. And part of growing up is defining what you need to do, even if it's in conflict with what you previously thought you needed to do, or what others tell you you need.

Monoriu

Quote from: Maladict on May 31, 2016, 11:17:02 AM
I think growing up means you do what you want to do, epecially if you are burned out.

fyp

Say, you have a child, you have a pet, you have a job, you have signed contracts.  Do you just say, oh I am burned out, so I don't want to take care of my child, or my dog, I don't want to go to work this week, I want to forget my mortgage?  That's what children do.  Adults take responsibility and do what they have to do, even if deep down they don't want to do it. 

Admiral Yi

Hers doesn't sound like a case of burnout at all to me.  More a case of insufficient stroking and positive reinforcement.

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on May 31, 2016, 08:52:21 AM
This is exactly the sense of entitlement we see from DG and others and expressed in the other thread when they whine about how much it costs to live in the places they want to live. This girl is just another manifestation of that same idea. She will grow up, hopefully. She sounds super smart, if ridiculously sheltered. I am sure her career as a model will go great. Not.

Everyone has the *right* to live where they want, and have the job they want, and the career they want. And if they cannot, then it is some kind of systemic problem that must be solved by someone else - like the state, or the school, or...someone. Not yourself of course, gosh no.

I'm not sure how you got that from, well anywhere on Languish.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on May 31, 2016, 11:22:14 AM
Say, you have a child, you have a pet, you have a job, you have signed contracts.  Do you just say, oh I am burned out, so I don't want to take care of my child, or my dog, I don't want to go to work this week, I want to forget my mortgage?  That's what children do.  Adults take responsibility and do what they have to do, even if deep down they don't want to do it.

What does this have to do with the young woman in the original article? Did she have any of those?

Josquius

fyp

Happened to a guy in his 50s at my work.
The company let him take a few months of leave and then he returned.
It happens.
As society becomes more complex and demanding one moves further up the hierarchy of needs. It's simple psychology . It's what drives humans forwards
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on May 31, 2016, 11:28:38 AM

fyp

Happened to a guy in his 50s at my work.
The company let him take a few months of leave and then he returned.
It happens.
As society becomes more complex and demanding one moves further up the hierarchy of needs. It's simple psychology . It's what drives humans forwards

I am not sure about that.

My grandparents generation did back-breaking farming work from dawn to dusk, dealt with all kinds of political shit as time went on, and raised kids and helped raised grandkids.
I don't think our generation has it any more complex. There are more OPTIONS which makes it harder to feel like you are doing the optimum, I guess.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on May 31, 2016, 11:18:06 AM

For sure. And part of growing up is defining what you need to do, even if it's in conflict with what you previously thought you needed to do, or what others tell you you need.

Another part of growing up though is being a responsible human being towards other human beings.

Which means it is kind of a dick move to just disappear, and create a huge scene involving the police.

It isn't the end of the world of course, but it is news because she clearly has no reasonable understanding of her own position in society, and how lucky she is - of course, this could just be how the story is being reported.

But assuming there isn't some creative reporting happening, she is pretty selfish, entitled, and unable to handle pretty minor stress. She is hardly the first of course, but it is easy to look at her actions and conclude that she didn't handle this very well.

There are ways to accomplish what she wanted to accomplish that didn't involve, as an example, making her mom think she had been abducted and murdered.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on May 31, 2016, 11:34:51 AM
I am not sure about that.

My grandparents generation did back-breaking farming work from dawn to dusk, dealt with all kinds of political shit as time went on, and raised kids and helped raised grandkids.
I don't think our generation has it any more complex. There are more OPTIONS which makes it harder to feel like you are doing the optimum, I guess.

More options generally equals more complexity. When there is only one or two options that make any kind of sense, decision making is fairly easy even if following through of them may be hard. When you have thousands or millions of fairly equal looking decisions to make, all with potentially far reaching but opaque consequences, then that's a very different scenario.

Living through a world war, revolutions, the cultural revolution, attempted genocides etc, or living as a subsistence or near-subsistence farmer are hard things to do, no doubt. But those are very different situations - and thus very different stresses - from dealing with the increasing complexities of the socially networked, extensively globalized modern world.