And we're back!

Main Menu

The rise of American authoritarianism

Started by jimmy olsen, March 02, 2016, 05:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2016, 06:02:43 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 23, 2016, 01:45:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2016, 10:59:31 AMHow did this work in practice?

In terms of Germany, they weren't content to simply nationalize industries. They took complete command of entire sectors of the economy at once. Imagine Joe Biden sitting down in a conference room with the CEOs of every auto manufacturer in America and telling each one how much product to produce, how many employees each would be allotted, how much they were to pay them, where their raw materials would come from and how much of them they would be rationed, to whom they would sell their final product and for what price, etc. And then doing it again with mining, energy, railways, etc. I think literally all foreign exchange went through the state.

And that is before the war.

In many ways, they made the Soviets look like amateurs at the whole state control of the economy thing.

We had that too.  It was called WWII.

Yes and the Americans, Brits and Soviet were a bit more efficient at it than the Axis countries.

Plus, perhaps largely due to control of the seas, they co-ordinated their wartime economies far better than the axis partners did.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

An excellent article by David Frum on what's gone wrong with American politics.

Too long to post here on my phone, but well worth a look.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/05/the-seven-broken-guardrails-of-democracy/484829/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on May 24, 2016, 02:03:15 PM

Yes and the Americans, Brits and Soviet were a bit more efficient at it than the Axis countries.

Plus, perhaps largely due to control of the seas, they co-ordinated their wartime economies far better than the axis partners did.

My point is that the Germany existed in only two states, gearing up for war and total war.  Pretty much all governments are going to have a very large hand in private business in that case.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2016, 10:49:18 AM
Quote from: mongers on May 24, 2016, 02:03:15 PM

My point is that the Germany existed in only two states, gearing up for war and total war.  Pretty much all governments are going to have a very large hand in private business in that case.

In that case you should have said, besides I don't think thats a good characterisation.

From when Hitler came to power, what about; 33-38 Gearing up for war (building up a wealth of military resources and well trained personnel), 39-42 Confused mess of short/long term planning and production. 43-45 Total war effort.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"