News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UEFA Euro 2016

Started by Zanza, May 17, 2016, 12:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

:yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah:  :yeah: v

FunkMonk

Hungary cannot be beeten.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Martinus

FunkMonk

Final will be Hungary 6 England 3  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

:lol:

Hungary is leading its group. I did NOT expect that.

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2016, 10:56:53 AM
Aparantly even during the Austro-Hungarian Empire they actually were two separate national teams so there never actually was an Austria-Hungary team :weep:

Way to ruin a good meme :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Ok that Austria vs Hungary thing is awesome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Ronaldo's post game comment is everything that is wrong with modern top footballers.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Well, no. Ronaldo is a special kind of twat. Together with Pepe

Duque de Bragança

This square football post (pun intended!) is more for Mongers (very rugged region though).

Despite the tie I actually enjoyed the trip to Saint-Étienne. In smaller cities, in "Middle" France (173,00 in the centre 500,000 with suburbs), big tournament are a huge event. Can't escape from the EURO there, even grannies were talking about how it was the first time Iceland made it to the EURO tournament. Not the case in Paris.
Lots of polite volunteers, retired in majority I'd say, saying hello or bonjour all the time (stalkers?  :tinfoil:). UEFA is too poor to pay them I guess  :rolleyes: For some reason, the volunteers keep talking to me in English first  :hmm: Before, I switched to French bien sûr.
It's a city with an industrial culture if not past, so Tyr might enjoy it too were he not such a francophone.  :PAfter all, there's a COAL mine museum. :D
For the gun nuts and/or Yanks, FAMAS comes from there (Fusil d'Assaut MAnufacture Saint-Étienne). Once Capital of l'arme, du cycle et du ruban (weapons, cycles and ribbon i.e textile). Tries to be design capital now.

Saint-Étienne is also home of one of the biggest French clubs in the '70s, ASSE (Platini played there), still plays in a very nice stadium, in the city centre, more central than the Parc des Princes in Paris. Even up in the terraces one is not far from the pitch, like the Parc des Princes in Paris, unlike that abomination of Stade de France, much bigger yes but not so well designed.
Stadium is within walking distance of the central station, 30 min or so on foot (not obese-friendly I'll grant you that) but there's the tram too, the oldest in activity in France.
Cheap housing from what I could see, thanks to deindustrialisation. :(

Lots of Icelanders, many families, more than I suspected. More Icelanders than Portuguese in the fan zone. In the stadium, no surprise, more Portuguese as it could be heard during the anthems.

As for the game, well played by Iceland. Goalkeeper should have been booked for losing time but the referee (Bloody Turk was more like an Englishman) was not very good but he was not decisive. Portugal has no true number 9, as always. :( If Quaresma was not wounded, why wait so long (76th min) to make him play?  :frusty:
Very good first 10 minutes for Iceland though with a great save by Rui Patricio. Then good counters. And Vieirinha left an unmarked Bjanarsson in the box.

On a last note, the Austria-Hungary game should have taken place there: Saint-Étienne = Sankt Stephan/Szent István.  :nerd:

Josephus

I hate it when players say "the opposition was playing like it was a final." Well yeah.

I remember Steve Gerrard said the same thing about an England opponent, Tunisia or Algeria or something some two world cups ago when England was held to a draw and he said "They were playing like it was the World Cup final." Well, maybe if England did too, they would have won.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 15, 2016, 06:52:12 AM
As for the game, well played by Iceland. Goalkeeper should have been booked for losing time but the referee (Bloody Turk was more like an Englishman) was not very good but he was not decisive. Portugal has no true number 9, as always. :( If Quaresma was not wounded, why wait so long (76th min) to make him play?  :frusty:
Very good first 10 minutes for Iceland though with a great save by Rui Patricio. Then good counters. And Vieirinha left an unmarked Bjanarsson in the box.

Not decisive? Dude saw thru ALL of the Portuguese flopping & decisively let play continue on each instances. Best Ref ever.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2016, 07:45:43 AM

Not decisive? Dude saw thru ALL of the Portuguese flopping & decisively let play continue on each instances. Best Ref ever.

:jaron:

Not decisive like during France-Romania.  :smarty:

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 15, 2016, 08:12:54 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2016, 07:45:43 AM

:jaron:

I know how you must feel, I used to be very ambivalent about the Danish team when we had the bulldogs Tøfting and Graversen playing it the midfield, two of the most unsympathetic people in football.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

PDH

The Portuguese do drop like they've been hit by a freight train grabbing their shins and crying.  Heck, I think it even happened in the pre-game handshakes.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM