Explosions at Zaventem Airport (Brussels airport)/Brussels metro

Started by Crazy_Ivan80, March 22, 2016, 02:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I was going home tonight and walked past the PATH station, as I do everyday.  Except today I saw two Port Authority cops stand near the entrance with mean expressions on their face, and mean assault rifles on their shoulders.  I went WTF for a second, and then it dawned on me why they're there today.

As I continued on walking home, I had another realization.  Why didn't Belgians think to put mean looking guys with assault rifles by the metro entrances?  Surely some of these tragedies could've been averted with this one simple trick?

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2016, 03:41:54 PM
It depends what they do. Those who organise a protest in the Muslim district of Brussels after the arrest of the Paris attacks mastermind - or those who throw stones at police cars and ambulances during the same arrest - should be treated as enemies, and with no mercy. Do you disagree?

Is this the one you want me to respond to?

If so, I would say - those that assault the cops ought to be arrested and charged; those who protest - however distasteful I find them - have that right, same as any other group I personally find hateful, to do so within the law (neo-Nazis spring to mind).

Some of the values I want to preserve, that make "us" different from "them", is the rule of law and freedoms such as freedom of assembly and expression; I refuse to make an exception for Islamoid kooks, any more than for any other species of kook. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: mongers on March 22, 2016, 05:09:03 PM
Unconfirmed reports of a spontaneous demonstration in Sint-Jans-Molenbeek, the mainly muslim protesters condemned the attacks, some held home-made placards, which loosely translated said "Not in our name".

Good. So these would be the Muslims you do not jail and deport, unlike the ones that protested the arrest of a terrorist or threw rocks at ambulances and police. See? This is quite easy.

Siege

Quote from: Zanza on March 22, 2016, 04:50:44 PM
Impossible to say without seeing the original studies and not just an editorial article from a well-known ideological website. The origin of the article makes me at least cautious and sceptical.
I can only hope you are as critical of the propaganda being spew by leftist websites...

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2016, 03:52:53 PM
Dikembe Mutombo is okay, thankfully. Too bad he wasn't able to reject the bombers and wave his finger at them.

You asshole, I waited all day to post that.   :mad:

Siege

In the end, there are only 3 kinds of muslims:
Terrorists, terrorists factories, and terrorists in the making.

You wanna save muslim people?
Brainwash them so they stop being muslims.
Or take their brains out of their skulls.
Either way works.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2016, 04:50:11 PM
That's not the question I asked - my question was "are these statistics fake?".

I doubt that, even from breitbart.  But I notice there is a selection of numbers from a number of individual polls spread out over the last decade, and presumably each containing many other inquiries.  So right away, there is the possibility of cherry picking bias.  I also notice that some of the questions are rather vague (or breitbart reports them in a vague manner).  Finally, assuming the purpose of this statistical tour through the ages is to prove something about "Muslims" there needs to be a control group.   E.g. how many non-Muslim Russians would say that attacks on America are justified?  To what extent is this capturing general anti-American/British/"Western" sentiment and to what extent strictly Muslim sentiment.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2016, 06:10:05 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2016, 04:50:11 PM
That's not the question I asked - my question was "are these statistics fake?".

I doubt that, even from breitbart.  But I notice there is a selection of numbers from a number of individual polls spread out over the last decade, and presumably each containing many other inquiries.  So right away, there is the possibility of cherry picking bias.  I also notice that some of the questions are rather vague (or breitbart reports them in a vague manner).  Finally, assuming the purpose of this statistical tour through the ages is to prove something about "Muslims" there needs to be a control group.   E.g. how many non-Muslim Russians would say that attacks on America are justified?  To what extent is this capturing general anti-American/British/"Western" sentiment and to what extent strictly Muslim sentiment.

Even accepting the article at face value, the focus on young Muslims just tells us that today's young people are stupid.  We need to look no further than young Americans' support for Sanders to know that.  :p:

LaCroix

plus, it cherrypicks muslim countries

@why europe sucks re immigration: imo, it's the obsession with culture

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2016, 05:15:00 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 22, 2016, 05:09:03 PM
Unconfirmed reports of a spontaneous demonstration in Sint-Jans-Molenbeek, the mainly muslim protesters condemned the attacks, some held home-made placards, which loosely translated said "Not in our name".

Good. So these would be the Muslims you do not jail and deport, unlike the ones that protested the arrest of a terrorist or threw rocks at ambulances and police. See? This is quite easy.

Is this a rule for everyone or just Muslims?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Has anyone complained yet that people are more in an uproar about the Belgian bombings than the ones in Istanbul?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

Breitbart is trash. This is a site that seriously posts articles about Obama being a Muslim pro gay alcohol drinking Kenyan.

I read it when I need a laugh.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

11B4V

Quote from: Jaron on March 22, 2016, 07:50:51 PM
Has anyone complained yet that people are more in an uproar about the Belgian bombings than the ones in Istanbul?

You CAN be Ottoman Empire.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".