Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 02:26:25 AM
but abolishing the EU is not the solution in my opinion.

full agreement there.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 01:02:28 AM

Returning to the EEC is obviously not possible as it does not exist anymore. Its successor is the EEA and membership in that would not address any of the points of Leave (net contributions, freedom of movement, regulations).

Norway and Switzerland are doing alright outside of the EU. Zurich is even a financial capital.

It seems there were lots of points brought up by the Leave campaign--and the vote was quite close. It is hard to ascribe any mandate to the referendum other than a very narrow mandate to be outside the EU.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2016, 02:39:34 AM

Returning to the EEC is obviously not possible as it does not exist anymore. Its successor is the EEA and membership in that would not address any of the points of Leave (net contributions, freedom of movement, regulations).

Norway and Switzerland are doing alright outside of the EU. Zurich is even a financial capital.

It seems there were lots of points brought up by the Leave campaign--and the vote was quite close. It is hard to ascribe any mandate to the referendum other than a very narrow mandate to be outside the EU.
They are pretty much in the EU in all but name though.
Its a big shame this referendum didn't happen a year later. Switzerland is trying to challenge the freedom of movement at the moment and its not going well for them
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 10:48:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2016, 10:47:40 PM
Any chance of a do-over in 6-12 months?

There better not. These things are supposed to be binding for a generation and they freaking better be.

It seems highly unsound to me for a referendum to have a temporal reach longer than a regular election.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

Britain will be fine.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Lettow77

Attitude to Britain's secession from the union has gone from surprised happiness to a sort of revelry. There's absolute jubilation in some of the comfier corners of the internet, and a sense that history is changing. "The triumph of illiberalism" say some, "the fire rises" say others. Either way, the tenor is infectious, and harkens back to the beautiful feverish tumult in which South Carolina so triumphantly crowned herself and consigned the nation to a consecrated destruction. Events abroad have disrupted my placid torpor deep within the hollers of rural Japan. It is uncommon the outside world is cause for such excitement.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2016, 02:37:53 AM
Johnson better not win :bleeding:

If Corbyn isn't booted, we could have both major parties headed by Islington. :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Norway and Switzerland still have to follow the EU regulations, have to pay a net contribution to the EU budget and have to accept freedom of movement. I don't see how a British government can claim public support for a deal like this.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2016, 02:42:08 AM

With a win so narrow, a mandate for more distance from the EU can't be assumed.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2016, 02:49:18 AM
Leave means Leave. Not 95% remain.

Josquius

Thats what I'm praying.
"OK, so you voted out, thats fine, but more than half of the population didn't vote out, many actively voted against it, so its clear we do want some relationship...."
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 02:48:06 AM

Norway and Switzerland still have to follow the EU regulations, have to pay a net contribution to the EU budget and have to accept freedom of movement. I don't see how a British government can claim public support for a deal like this.

There is the problem here that no deal that is acceptable to Leave will be on the table. Which takes us back to the hyperbole and lying that was so characteristic of the campaign.

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2016, 02:52:56 AM

Thats what I'm praying.
"OK, so you voted out, thats fine, but more than half of the population didn't vote out, many actively voted against it, so its clear we do want some relationship...."

More than the absolute percentages, Scotland's (and to a lesser extent Northern Ireland's) position will be absolutely central to the degree of distance our future negotiatiors will try for.

[I'm not trying to minimise Northern Ireland's importance here, but a major party and several voting areas went for leave in that region - Scotland was universally for remain with every major party agreeing so will require much more careful handling and have more influence on our negotiations.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2016, 02:52:56 AM

Thats what I'm praying.

If you vote Leave you leave, not kinda-leave-but-not-really. Surely the UK will stand by its richly scented pile.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2016, 02:57:41 AM
There is the problem here that no deal that is acceptable to Leave will be on the table. Which takes us back to the hyperbole and lying that was so characteristic of the campaign.
The Leave campaign appealed to both a global trade, anti-bureaucracy crowd ("we can have more FTAs with upcoming economies") and an anti-immigration, nationalist ("Breaking Point!") crowd. I doubt they can even within Leave find a consensus what they actually want. What the British did here was a destructive, not a constructive referendum. You didn't pick a solution alternative, you only said that you don't like the status quo. I predict you'll not find a solution that will actually command a majority public support. This will fuck up British domestic politics for years to come.