Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Maladict

Greece getting their revenge  :lol:

Zanza

Quote from: Maladict on June 24, 2016, 04:01:53 AM
As for emulating Switzerland, well good luck with that  :P
The Swiss deal is generally seen as a mistake and failure by the EU.

The Larch

Only positive thing for Spain at the moment that I can think about: Hopefully this means less drunken chavs in Salou and Magaluf?

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on June 24, 2016, 04:33:29 AM
Only positive thing for Spain at the moment that I can think about: Hopefully this means less drunken chavs in Salou and Magaluf?
Careful what you wish for. They're the only thing holding the Teutonic hordes at bay
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

It is not a nice way to have to earn a living but it is a way to earn a living.

You may be right on the lower numbers though, the cheapness of the holiday is very important to many of those people.

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2016, 04:37:56 AM

It is not a nice way to have to earn a living but it is a way to earn a living.

You may be right on the lower numbers though, the cheapness of the holiday is very important to many of those people.

It's a touristic model that greatly decreases the quality of life of the people living in those places and there has been a growing backlash against it for many years. Some of those destinations have been trying recently to move away from it but the inertia is huge.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2016, 04:37:32 AM
Careful what you wish for. They're the only thing holding the Teutonic hordes at bay

For sure, there's no shortage of people wanting to get drunk on the cheap.

celedhring

Foreigners come here and steal our cheap drinks.

Solmyr

I look forward to finally visiting an independent Scotland. :) :scots:

Solmyr

So does this mean Trump will win?

Zanza

Quote from: Solmyr on June 24, 2016, 05:04:57 AM
So does this mean Trump will win?
I don't think so, but it sure shows that even the most steady and stable democracies can still fall to populist themes. If Trump doesn't win, I find it likely that the grievances that propelled him to candidacy will continue to grow among the American electorate and you face a similar populist candidate in four years with a bigger following and less of Trump's weaknesses...

The Larch

So, is Cameron going to end up in the history books amongst the worst PMs in history or not?

It seems that, even if he announced his resignation for October, he has not activated Article 50 of the Lisbon treaty, which is what would officially trigger the process of leaving the EU, and doesn't intend to, leaving that task for his successor. I'm sure that a few more months of uncertainty will do wonders for everyone's situation.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on June 24, 2016, 04:45:21 AM
Foreigners come here and steal our cheap drinks.

Not to mention they drive everything up e.g housing prices. "Bonus": hideous architecture!   :P

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Larch on June 24, 2016, 05:17:45 AM
So, is Cameron going to end up in the history books amongst the worst PMs in history or not?

It seems that, even if he announced his resignation for October, he has not activated Article 50 of the Lisbon treaty, which is what would officially trigger the process of leaving the EU, and doesn't intend to, leaving that task for his successor. I'm sure that a few more months of uncertainty will do wonders for everyone's situation.

His short term tactical dodges have failed abysmally, history will not be kind.

We now enter the next stage of the crisis; which is how does a house of Commons which is 75% pro-remain negotiate for a British exit?

Maladict

Classy

QuoteNigel Farage has admitted that it was a "mistake" to promise that £350million a week would be spent on the NHS if the UK backed a Brexit vote. 

Speaking just an hour after the Leave vote was confirmed the Ukip leader said the money could not be guaranteed and claimed he would never have made the promise in the first place.