Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

Some funny results there. I see Slough voted to Leave for example, though according to articles I've read the place is doing really well on the back of globalisation.

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2016, 07:44:37 AMThe Manx are a strange people. They still leave offerings like silk ribbons to the faeries in certain areas of the island

The huldufólk are not to be trifled with. :yes: :sleep:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2016, 07:48:45 AM
Some funny results there. I see Slough voted to Leave for example, though according to articles I've read the place is doing really well on the back of globalisation.

It seems it was a very narrow vote for Leave though. Wasn't the promise of big free trade deals with Asia and North America dangled in front of some more liberal minded potential Leave voters though? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

I don't necessarily think leaving the EU is the end of British globalizaton. America isn't part of any such union and is highly globalized.

I think while I am economically opposed to Brexir, I see the political argument for leaving--but not like this. I mean there is a lot of dissatisfaction with the EU across Europe, why not spend some years trying to reform it rather than leave? Basically I don't agree with the timing. I think the UK's position in the EU was untenable long term (but I mean like in terms of multiple decades), but was a fine framework for trying to be part of EU reform. If at some future date it became obvious the EU and Brussels were not going to make meaningful reforms then you could hold the referendum.

I can understand UKIP's push for an early vote--demographics doesn't favor them waiting. But Cameron made a horrendous gambit in his camaign of promising this vote soon and it's cost him and cost the country dearly. I've actually been moderatelt pro-Cameron in the past but most now say he's among the worst leaders in British history.

Richard Hakluyt

Man is a remnant of the Norse period that somehow never got fully integrated into England or Scotland. They have a really ancient parliament called the Tynwald which they claim is the oldest in the world https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tynwald.

Maybe we should have a Manxit referendum and let them join Iceland?

(reality check.......like Valmy I don't approve of referenda)

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 07:53:42 AM
It seems it was a very narrow vote for Leave though. Wasn't the promise of big free trade deals with Asia and North America dangled in front of some more liberal minded potential Leave voters though? :hmm:
Yep. But trade is basically seen as a good thing here.

The way I think American insecurity about globalisation manifests itself in complaints about NAFTA or China or outsourcing (and lately, immigration) doesn't happen here. Our insecurity about globalisation is basically talked about solely through immigration.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

OttoVonBismarck

How much more free could trade be made between Britain and Canada/America? Not enough to move the needle mich at all. The American/European free trade deal Obama has been negotiating for years is a good comparison. Trade is so open between them now it would only be a very small move GDP wise.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 07:53:42 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2016, 07:48:45 AM

I think that we have just systematically underestimated how much the poorer half of the population viscerally hates the EU. Cornwall voted leave as well for example, but it has objective 1 status and lashings of EU money thrown at it.

OttoVonBismarck

TTIP is only estimated to boost EU economies by €120bn and American by €90bn. Not "nothing", but suggests Britain isn't going to be making huge economic improvements by negotiating free trade with North America.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 24, 2016, 08:00:32 AM
TTIP is only estimated to boost EU economies by €120bn and American by €90bn. Not "nothing", but suggests Britain isn't going to be making huge economic improvements by negotiating free trade with North America.

China and India though? I am not sure about their current trade status with them.

Razgovory

Bizarrely Trump is both celebrating the Brexit vote and blaming Obama for it. :blink:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2016, 08:05:55 AM
Bizarrely Trump is both celebrating the Brexit vote and blaming Obama for it. :blink:

So he is celebrating Obama? Interesting.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2016, 08:05:55 AM

He always find such delightful ways to act crazy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.