Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

OttoVonBismarck

A lot of conservative MPs on Sky are saying Cameron should stay including a lot of Brexiteers. I'm guessing this is essentially because they feel their chance of control of the negotiation is best without the turmoil of a new leader and potentially a new general election. Will be interesting to see if they can really hang on, I'd have to expect an election soon is more likely than not.

Sheilbh

Incidentally this settles the turnout point we were talking about a while ago. I'd have guessed this turnout would mean a solid Remain vote.

It's no-voters and the working class who turned out, not the young.

QuoteA lot of conservative MPs on Sky are saying Cameron should stay including a lot of Brexiteers. I'm guessing this is essentially because they feel their chance of control of the negotiation is best without the turmoil of a new leader and potentially a new general election. Will be interesting to see if they can really hang out, I'd have to expect an election soon is more likely than not.
I think that's just what Tories say while they're sharpening the knives. Can't see him surviving.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Extraordinary interview question just then to a Labour MP.

'Now we're leaving the EU, what should Labour's immigration policy be?'
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Just trying to think how I can salvage my life here.
If you're living in Scotland when they go independent you get Scottish citizenship right?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 10:48:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 10:43:07 PM
Didn't you just equate the Leave victory to a Trump victory? If you truly hold those to be equivalent I don't see how you can be mellow :P
Trump is massively, massively worse.

I wonder.  The British leaving could signal the collapse of the EU, God only knows what would happen then.  A major depression?  I suppose on the other hand Trump might just start a war with North Korea or Iran possibly with nukes.

Has the world grown so complacent with Democracy that the people no longer fear catastrophic possibilities?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

SNP bringing up that during the Scotland campaign Cameron made the argument that Scotland needed to vote to remain to insure its continued membership in the EU and that Cameron should have "some answers" concerning that now.  :lol:

LaCroix

just give it another go in 20-30 years. EU has to weather the storm, and if it doesn't then that might indicate it lacked the constitution to survive on a permanent basis in the first place. if the EU only gets better over the long term, then the british will probably, eventually, want to join up again

Drakken

Well, David was right. Scotland massively supported Remain and should, should have ensured a Remain victory.

The problem, is that Scotland is too full of Scots.

Drakken

Quote from: LaCroix on June 23, 2016, 11:03:36 PM
just give it another go in 20-30 years. EU has to weather the storm, and if it doesn't then that might indicate it lacked the constitution to survive on a permanent basis in the first place. if the EU only gets better over the long term, then the british will probably, eventually, want to join up again

You are insane.

Razgovory

Well, if nothing else I should be able to hold my head a little higher.  I now live in a world where being completely mad is no longer a problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

I was quite pleased to see that the UK has decided to leave the EU.  Although i'd sooner the SNP referendum went the "right" way than this one, it's still exciting.

I wonder if somewhere someone will remember to hoist the Bonnie Blue Flag as Britain's star goes out of the EU.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Drakken

Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2016, 11:04:35 PM
Well, if nothing else I should be able to hold my head a little higher.  I now live in a world where being completely mad is no longer a problem.

Kaiser Wilhelm was right, and laughing his mustache off in his Doorn Castle grave.

Sheilbh

Query for Larch etc.

If Scotland now left the union do you think Spain would have an issue with Scotland basically inheriting the UK's EU membership?
Let's bomb Russia!

LaCroix