Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 10:40:26 PM
I'm genuinely fairly laid back about the consequences :mellow:

Didn't you just equate the Leave victory to a Trump victory? If you truly hold those to be equivalent I don't see how you can be mellow :P

So does this mean you have to make room for all those pensioners getting booted out of Spain? :(

QuoteCorbyn needs to go now. We might have a snap election soon and we need a credible Labour leader for it.

Can't the Tories just appoint a new leader? I don't recall an election everytime a PM has stepped down.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 10:36:09 PM
PM Johnson and President Trump are going to get on great together  :cool:

God wills it.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Drakken

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 10:42:29 PM
I think I'm most interested now to see Europe's reaction.

Widespread panic and feigned hardline.

OttoVonBismarck

I actually think, maybe being U.S.-centric, that Trump in the White House would be a vastly worse outcome, not just for America but for the entire world, than this event.

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on June 23, 2016, 10:44:04 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 10:42:29 PM
I think I'm most interested now to see Europe's reaction.

Widespread panic and feigned hardline.

Germany starts moving to add Russia to replace the UK.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

I predict Britain will enter an economic death spiral and break up into its constituent parts.

OttoVonBismarck

I think Britain could lose Scotland, I'm honestly not sure about Northern Ireland. Ireland not being in the EU is pretty shitty, but historical support for union with the Republic in N.I. isn't high enough that it'd easily switch anytime soon.

Barrister

Any chance of a do-over in 6-12 months?

If the stock market and pound drop dramatically and Britain goes into a recession, combined with a "new deal" negotiated with Brussels?

If nothing else though, I think we're going to rush out and buy some pounds for our Scotland trip tomorrow.  :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

How did the vote go in Scotland?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 10:43:07 PM
Didn't you just equate the Leave victory to a Trump victory? If you truly hold those to be equivalent I don't see how you can be mellow :P
Trump is massively, massively worse.

QuoteSo does this mean you have to make room for all those pensioners getting booted out of Spain? :(
I don't see why they'd get kicked out.

QuoteCan't the Tories just appoint a new leader? I don't recall an election everytime a PM has stepped down.
Yeah, of course. But I think it's quite possible whoever they choose will go to the country before we even activate the 'leave' provision in the EU treaties. They'll want a mandate for the negotiating position.

QuoteI think I'm most interested now to see Europe's reaction.
Same. I think a taboos gone as well. I very much doubt we'll be the last to leave.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2016, 10:47:40 PM
Any chance of a do-over in 6-12 months?

There better not. These things are supposed to be binding for a generation and they freaking better be.

OttoVonBismarck

I honestly think it's interesting because there are parallels with the EU losing Britain and Britain potentially losing at least 1-2 of its parts. Westminster held so much power, with no devolution at all, for so long, that I think it created the sort of resentments that have made Scottish independence much more likely than it'd have otherwise been, if Britain had more of an American-style Federal system going back 150 years or so.

Likewise, I think the support for leaving EU in countries like Italy and France is indicative of the fact Brussels is quite bad at properly balancing the interests of the union and its bureaucratic elite and the democratic desires of the actual people of the EU (as opposed to the elites of the EU member countries.)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2016, 10:47:40 PM
If nothing else though, I think we're going to rush out and buy some pounds for our Scotland trip tomorrow.  :ph34r:

Do you have some reason to think the pound will rebound?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 10:47:58 PM
How did the vote go in Scotland?
I believe every council voted to remain. This was my big worry with Leave. But turnout was a lot lower in Scotland than other areas of the UK. I'm not sure the SNP would gamble another referendum on do you want to stay in the UK or the EU.

But it's a pretty scary possibility and lots of so called unionists seem very chilled about Scottish and Northern Irish politics.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 10:46:34 PM
I think Britain could lose Scotland, I'm honestly not sure about Northern Ireland. Ireland not being in the EU is pretty shitty, but historical support for union with the Republic in N.I. isn't high enough that it'd easily switch anytime soon.
Its not so much 'losing' Northern Ireland that worries me, but them going back to blowing each other up
██████
██████
██████