Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 08:56:49 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 24, 2016, 08:53:36 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 08:49:27 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 24, 2016, 08:47:05 AM
In the be careful what you wish for list:

Some of the biggest losers on the UK FTSE are house builders.  :hmm:

I guess they figure there will be some kind of exodus from Britain?

UK house prices cooling off, which will hit many of the more well off older people who voted in droves for Brexit.

Yes. I was just trying to figure out why :P

And the youth of Britain deserve a chance to not live in a hovel. But color me skeptical it will really cool off enough to benefit anybody.

Well yes, the fundamental problem is a lack of supply and that can't be solved for years if ever, though there's been a lot of additional heat in housing prices the last year or more.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on June 24, 2016, 08:51:46 AM

Less immigrants equals less heated house market I presume.
Big decline in Sterling makes London property look attractive if you're very rich already though. Oligarchs etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 24, 2016, 08:57:57 AM
No, the EU is not akin to our alliance or our Free Tarde Agreement.

Of course not. The EU is one of those bizarre European confederations that have existed throughout history. But they are not really a thing outside of Europe. So of course there is not going to be any direct parallels.

Ironically these confederations are created to attempt the very thing you love: local identities while trying to gain the rational advantages of fewer political conflicts and more cooperation. Their failure seems to underline the fundamental irrationality and weakness of local identity. Not something you should be cheering on. :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2016, 08:56:30 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 24, 2016, 08:53:36 AM

UK house prices cooling off, which will hit many of the more well off older people who voted in droves for Brexit.

A lot of them might welcome a fall in house prices even if they own them, I know I would.

Tricky, that's good and public spirited of you, but I can think of quite a few people who just only care about their house price, they've that much emotion 'invested' it that notional figure.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 08:59:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 24, 2016, 08:57:57 AM
No, the EU is not akin to our alliance or our Free Tarde Agreement.

Of course not. The EU is one of those bizarre European confederations that have existed throughout history. But they are not really a thing outside of Europe. So of course there is not going to be any direct parallels.

Ironically these confederations are created to attempt the very thing you love: local identities while trying to gain the rational advantages of fewer political conflicts and more cooperation. Their failure seems to underline the fundamental irrationality and weakness of local identity. Not something you should be cheering on. :hmm:
For the Record, I am in favor of an indenpendant Quebec to petition to enter the Union. That wrong must be corrected.

It is a failure of those confederations that instead of fostering cooperations, it only creates resentment.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on June 24, 2016, 09:00:44 AM
Tricky, that's good and public spirited of you, but I can think of quite a few people who just only care about their house price, they've that much emotion 'invested' it that notional figure.

House price means nothing if you are not selling your house or borrowing against your house though :hmm:

Well I guess it might mean higher property taxes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 24, 2016, 09:01:42 AMFor the Record, I am in favor of an idenpendant Quebec to petition to enter the Union. That wrong must be corrected.

Only if you bring the places with oil with you.

Zanza

Quote from: Agelastus on June 24, 2016, 08:47:44 AM
Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 08:42:40 AM
So your constitutional crisis is not just that you have a severely limited freedom of action for the government and parliament but also that all of a sudden your regions claim to have a say in foreign policy? What is this nonsense?

The Kingdom of Scotland, the Principality of Wales and the remnant portion of the Kingdom of Ireland are hardly regions. Scotland in particular needs to be in the position almost of a co-negotiator given the political situation.

London, however...that's really stretching it.
Coming from a federal state I have a different perspective I guess. Our current states all used to be Kingdoms, Duchies etc. as well with histories going back to the dark ages. I would never grant them a say in foreign policy though. That's clearly the task of the federal government.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 09:03:21 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 24, 2016, 09:01:42 AMFor the Record, I am in favor of an idenpendant Quebec to petition to enter the Union. That wrong must be corrected.

Only if you bring the places with oil with you.

Fuck oil, we bring you unlimited, transportable, green Hydro electric power.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

I don't get it mongers, they must have young relatives and friends, surely they care about their chances of a decent life? Admittedly the whole property thing is far more muted up here anyway.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 24, 2016, 09:04:23 AM
Fuck oil, we bring you unlimited, transportable, green Hydro electric power.

:hmm:

I will allow it. Heck it might be nice to have a state more obnoxious than Texas for a change.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 09:02:01 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 24, 2016, 09:00:44 AM

House price means nothing if you are not selling your house or borrowing against your house though :hmm:

Well I guess it might mean higher property taxes.

Hence my explaining it in terms of their emotions and using the term "notional figure"

These people have 'invested' a lot of their self worth in a number.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 09:03:25 AM
Coming from a federal state I have a different perspective I guess. Our current states all used to be Kingdoms, Duchies etc. as well with histories going back to the dark ages. I would never grant them a say in foreign policy though. That's clearly the task of the federal government.

Yeah Britain is a weird animal. It is not exactly a federal state with clear separation of powers like certain enlightened nations.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2016, 09:05:15 AM
I don't get it mongers, they must have young relatives and friends, surely they care about their chances of a decent life? Admittedly the whole property thing is far more muted up here anyway.

I'm not saying everyone or a large minority, but there are definitely people who are consumed by greed and that number gives them a measure by which to judge themselves and others.

Obviously parents in the large will think of their children, but sometimes that's merely a weak justification to pile into the buy-to-lets, because their doing it for their "children's future", ignoring as it does that makes it worse for other peoples children.

Richard Hakluyt

Thinking about it I've met some of them, down south of course. The house they paid £100k for is now valued at £1.2m and they tend to go on about it a lot.