Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

Quote from: Agelastus on June 24, 2016, 12:14:52 AM
I feel strangely conflicted.

I never expected leave to win, right up until a couple of hours ago, and Sterling and the Markets have dropped about twice as much as I thought they would as well. So I should feel shock and fear.

On the other hand, the referendum I've wanted since Maastricht has finally happened; and the side I've been on for at least a decade has won. So I should feel happy.

Yet really I feel neither; I just feel tired and uncertain. And to an extent, directionless.

:hmm:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZMuOhuB3Wo

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Fireblade on June 24, 2016, 01:32:30 AM
Quote from: katmai on June 24, 2016, 01:30:50 AM
Damn fireblade beat me to asking if Tamas and his woman will have to choose  where to go to now.

Don't gloat too much, Trump will deport you too #buildthewall #expelcucks

:lmfao:

At last, Fireblade Le Pen is back!  :cheers:

Tamas

Quote from: Iormlund on June 24, 2016, 01:33:47 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 10:48:19 PM
QuoteSo does this mean you have to make room for all those pensioners getting booted out of Spain? :(
I don't see why they'd get kicked out.

They will take a massive economic hit, with a lower Pound (and thus pension) and having to purchase a private healthcare plan now (which for a pensioner could get really, really expensive).

Who cares?!!!

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 11:06:30 PM
Query for Larch etc.

If Scotland now left the union do you think Spain would have an issue with Scotland basically inheriting the UK's EU membership?

Probably. Not me though. Hell I'd support Catalonia's bid for independence if Spain voted out of the EU. Just for the same reason as I don't support it now: I don't believe that a majority should be able to take away the rights of a minority.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on June 23, 2016, 10:17:02 PM
Good. The English have shown no interest in being part of something greater than themselves. The SNP needs to get back on the ball as well. Next will come Wales. Then Man, then Cornwall. Then the North.

One king short!

very disappointed in the Brits.

When are the Scots having their new referendum?

Duque de Bragança

Tabloid pun brigade attacks!  :bleeding: or  :D ?

Josquius

The Scum has never been a more apt nickname
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 01:04:51 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 24, 2016, 01:02:12 AM
I think this is epoch-shifting, and not for good. The wave of illiberalism sweeping the West has broken the first bulwark, and I'm truly afraid for the emboldening of nationalist forces in Europe and the resulting division, retrenchment and isolation that will be exploited by our enemies.
Yes, could be the first of a wave. The return of nationalism.
nationalism has never been gone. It is naive to think it was. A lot of it was repressed by the ruling elites not listening to the voters (resulting in this brexit vote for one) and the rest was replaced with a misguided euronationalism, which is nothing but nationalism at a higher level.

A lot of the current mess can be explained by politicians, press, academia being fundamentally disconnected from the electorate at large (the people living in the real world basically) and dismissing the concerns of a significant part of that electorate. This is the outcome. I hope there's some soulsearching amongst these groups (but I doubt it) so that the situation can be salvaged as much as possible.. After all: Europe has on it's borders many enemies and false friends who will be glad to exploit any weakness.

Agelastus

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2016, 01:34:12 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on June 24, 2016, 12:14:52 AM
I feel strangely conflicted.

I never expected leave to win, right up until a couple of hours ago, and Sterling and the Markets have dropped about twice as much as I thought they would as well. So I should feel shock and fear.

On the other hand, the referendum I've wanted since Maastricht has finally happened; and the side I've been on for at least a decade has won. So I should feel happy.

Yet really I feel neither; I just feel tired and uncertain. And to an extent, directionless.

:hmm:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZMuOhuB3Wo

Amusing.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

katmai

Quote from: Fireblade on June 24, 2016, 01:32:30 AM
Quote from: katmai on June 24, 2016, 01:30:50 AM
Damn fireblade beat me to asking if Tamas and his woman will have to choose  where to go to now.

Don't gloat too much, Trump will deport you too #buildthewall #expelcucks
who was gloating. I was asking a question.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

And Cameron resigns.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 24, 2016, 02:05:26 AM
nationalism has never been gone. It is naive to think it was. A lot of it was repressed by the ruling elites not listening to the voters (resulting in this brexit vote for one) and the rest was replaced with a misguided euronationalism, which is nothing but nationalism at a higher level.

A lot of the current mess can be explained by politicians, press, academia being fundamentally disconnected from the electorate at large (the people living in the real world basically) and dismissing the concerns of a significant part of that electorate. This is the outcome. I hope there's some soulsearching amongst these groups (but I doubt it) so that the situation can be salvaged as much as possible.. After all: Europe has on it's borders many enemies and false friends who will be glad to exploit any weakness.
I agree that it was never gone, but it didn't have a policy-shaping weight in the last decades. The pendulum swings the other way again now. I don't think nationalism is the answer to the disconnect with the electorate as globalization and its effects are not going away. Soul-searching is definitely necessary, but abolishing the EU is not the solution in my opinion.

Zanza

QuoteMr Cameron has previously said he would trigger Article 50 as soon as possible after a Leave vote but Boris Johnson and Michael Gove who led the campaign to get Britain out of the EU have said he should not rush into it.
But they also said they want to make immediate changes before the UK actually leaves the EU, such as curbing the power of EU judges and limiting the free movement of workers, potentially in breach the UK's treaty obligations.
The government will also have to negotiate its future trading relationship with the EU and fix trade deals with non-EU countries.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36615028

Nothing says reliable negotiation partner as well as unilaterally abolishing previous treaty obligations without consultation. :bowler:

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2016, 02:26:12 AM
And Cameron resigns.
That was inevitable after a loss. The leadership infighting in the Conservative Party will be a spectacle.

Josquius

Johnson better not win :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████