Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Drakken

Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 09:18:29 PM
If it hadn't been for that tactic with reference to, for example, Ireland, we probably wouldn't be having this vote now.

Hence why it is possible the EU could offer a last-ditch sweetened deal for the UK in exchange for remaining. Because the UK leaving is the first nail into the European coffin. Germany Brussels cannot adopt a hardline here with the UK, because otherwise this will trigger others to do the same as soon as the shit ever hits the fan.

Monoriu

We use a dedicated chop in Hong Kong.  You have to use that chop that is provided at the polling station to mark the ballot.  No other method is acceptable.

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on June 23, 2016, 09:22:52 PM
Hence why it is possible the EU could offer a last-ditch sweetened deal for the UK in exchange for remaining.

That would be impossible after a plebiscite. Who are they going to offer the deal to? The government is not deciding this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2016, 09:23:47 PM
We use a dedicated chop in Hong Kong.  You have to use that chop that is provided at the polling station to mark the ballot.  No other method is acceptable.

How would you know this? In thought you never voted? :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Woke up in the night randonmly. And oh fuck. Looks like I was right. Theyre winning.
Scotland have failed us and the northern Irish are looking exceptionally suicidal.
We're relying on London.  But with the flooding.....
Doom. The Trumpites have won.
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

I don't really think "hatred of the media" would decide an election, but I do have to say the pro-Remain press I think has done little to help its cause. I can't count the number of articles I read fretting about City of London financial jobs potentially being lost. Putting myself in the shoes of a blue collar worker who would never be considered for such a position, and who probably has seen his real income fall, and even in his best days doesn't make a third of what a highly compensated banker makes any such talk would probably make me a little more likely to vote leave just to slap those people in the face.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 09:24:46 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2016, 09:23:47 PM

How would you know this? In thought you never voted? :P

It is well-publicised.  I also worked on the election staff many times before as a civil servant :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 09:21:40 PM
The same way it works for every other issue? Did you have a referendum to join the UN?
The UN doesn't have a body of law that over-rides our constitution. It's not remotely comparable.

I don't think that representatives should have the right to bind the people of a country on major constitutional issues like this. In my view it'd be wrong, even if UKIP won an election, to see them then to make us leave the EU without consulting the people.

Birmingham coming soon. Expected to vote leave by a small margin so worth watching.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on June 23, 2016, 09:25:02 PM
Woke up in the night randonmly. And oh fuck. Looks like I was right. Theyre winning.
Scotland have failed us and the northern Irish are looking exceptionally suicidal.
Don't think North-Easterners get to blame Scotland tonight :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

QuoteDPRK News Service
DPRK News Service –  ‏@DPRK_News

English queen Elizabeth, released as David Cameron hostage from Tower of London, gives thanks to Marshal Kim Jong-Un for aiding revolution.
6:15 PM - 23 Jun 2016
156 RETWEETS143 LIKES

The parody account also announces the moving of the Capital to Wolverhampton.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 09:24:13 PM
That would be impossible after a plebiscite. Who are they going to offer the deal to? The government is not deciding this.

So, Cameron resigns and snap election? No way Cameron is gonna stay after such a huge loss, and it is far too late to ask the Queen to form a new government.

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 09:25:18 PM
I don't really think "hatred of the media" would decide an election, but I do have to say the pro-Remain press I think has done little to help its cause. I can't count the number of articles I read fretting about City of London financial jobs potentially being lost. Putting myself in the shoes of a blue collar worker who would never be considered for such a position, and who probably has seen his real income fall, and even in his best days doesn't make a third of what a highly compensated banker makes any such talk would probably make me a little more likely to vote leave just to slap those people in the face.

For some people there's some truth in that sort of reasoning.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on June 23, 2016, 09:25:02 PM

Look at the bright side.  The have-nots will no longer be able to blackmail the haves again by threatening to leave the EU.  A threat carried out is no longer a threat. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 09:24:13 PM
Quote from: Drakken on June 23, 2016, 09:22:52 PM
Hence why it is possible the EU could offer a last-ditch sweetened deal for the UK in exchange for remaining.

It has happened before in countries like Ireland which require a referendum for every treaty.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 09:25:18 PM
I work for a City law firm and was sat chatting with an insurance broker and a guy who works in oil and gas. We were all fairly pro-remain. Then I wondered, who wouldn't the country listen to guys like us? :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!