Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

https://www.newsweek.com/prince-harry-prince-william-reported-inappropriate-use-over-350000-1519046

Why isn't this a bigger deal in the British media? Why do even leftist journos have to close rank around the royal family? They are shuffling around money meant for charity as if exchanging cash between their wallets.

celedhring

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2020, 06:48:20 AM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-labour-russia-report-brexit-islington-a9631896.html

QuoteBoris Johnson claims Labour using Russia report as 'Islingtonian Remainer plot to undermine' Brexit

As if he hadn't been my neighbor just a few years ago.

Expected they'd beat that drum.
David Lammy the other day made a nice post about how the subversion of democracy shouldn't be a polarising issue and concerns us all. If Johnson can make it an example of the evil remoaners trying to steal brexit then thats winning.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tamas on July 22, 2020, 07:33:48 AM
https://www.newsweek.com/prince-harry-prince-william-reported-inappropriate-use-over-350000-1519046

Why isn't this a bigger deal in the British media? Why do even leftist journos have to close rank around the royal family? They are shuffling around money meant for charity as if exchanging cash between their wallets.

Because of the ghost of Diana.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2020, 06:48:20 AM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-labour-russia-report-brexit-islington-a9631896.html

QuoteBoris Johnson claims Labour using Russia report as 'Islingtonian Remainer plot to undermine' Brexit

As if he hadn't been my neighbor just a few years ago.
It's laughable - and continuing sort of tribal divisions like that.

QuoteWhy isn't this a bigger deal in the British media? Why do even leftist journos have to close rank around the royal family? They are shuffling around money meant for charity as if exchanging cash between their wallets.
It seems like the Daily Mail are running with it, which makes sense as they can't stand Harry - the Sun also doesn't like him so I imagine they'll run with it. I think the left-wing press like the Guardian might cover it but it would probably just be through the AP because I feel like, given their readership, they don't get much value from stories about the royals. Also, personally, that story doesn't seem interesting yet - it's definitely something hacks should be digging into but it's quite boring.

Also worth remembering that Harry and Markle are currently suing at least one paper I think for libel or misuse of personal information and have sort of issued statements to put the media on notice that they will go to court. So I think whatever stories get written about them will be going through legal very carefully - the Daily Mail article on this, for example, is just a string of quotes - the guy from Republic, the guy from Schillings etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

QuoteU.K. Could Force Foreign Spies to Register on Government List

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

They might not have thought this one through...

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on July 22, 2020, 03:38:46 PM
QuoteU.K. Could Force Foreign Spies to Register on Government List

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

They might not have thought this one through...
:lol: I think it's basically similar to the US Foreign Agent Registration Act which is what did for Michael Flynn rather than a spy register.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Reminds me of the US visa waiver questions where they ask if you are planning to engage in terrorism while in the US.

Sheilbh

I normally find Boris Johnson's style very grating, but I kind of have a lot of time for this: "There's all these anti-vaxxers now. They are nuts, they are nuts." :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 24, 2020, 06:48:11 AM
I normally find Boris Johnson's style very grating, but I kind of have a lot of time for this: "There's all these anti-vaxxers now. They are nuts, they are nuts." :lol:

Wow. How refreshing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on July 22, 2020, 03:58:11 PM
Reminds me of the US visa waiver questions where they ask if you are planning to engage in terrorism while in the US.

It is good for us to know these things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Do you still have to say if you worked for the Nazi regime in 1933-45? I'm asking for a friend.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on July 24, 2020, 07:51:29 AM
Do you still have to say if you worked for the Nazi regime in 1933-45? I'm asking for a friend.

Yes. We don't want people that old visiting our country during this pandemic.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2020, 07:55:02 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 24, 2020, 07:51:29 AM

Yes. We don't want people that old visiting our country during this pandemic.

Thanks. Makes sense.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I really want a stupid YouTuber to tick yes on that box and film what happens. It's just so delightfully silly.
██████
██████
██████