Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on July 17, 2020, 10:42:05 AM

Very nice picture, but it is tempting to draw parallels between the age of the participants and the age and relevance of  the monarchy and its peagantry. :P
It was featured as an item in the main German TV news today. Nice story.  :)

Josquius

Big respect to him for doing it and all.
But I do really hate so much of the coverage around it and the acceptance that the nhs is a charity.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah - and I don't like knighthoods etc. But he's of the generation where I imagine it is very valued and appreciated so I'll just smile and keep schtum :)
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

You grew up in a castle and you don't like knights?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 17, 2020, 04:55:12 PM
Yeah - and I don't like knighthoods etc. But he's of the generation where I imagine it is very valued and appreciated so I'll just smile and keep schtum :)

My local MP is now a Sir, did you see his somewhat crazy contribution to the debate on mandatory masks in the commons this week?

He was there in person to blow bright red with the indignity of it.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

I don't see the big deal if a knighthood if it isn't hereditary, it is basically just like being awarded the Légion d'honneur at this point. Is it just because the monarchy has a symbolic role Sheilbh? Or is it that you just dislike these kinds of state service awards in general?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Knighthoods, bleh. Win a world cup, and the Spanish monarchy will make you marquis and grandee of Spain  :cool:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2020, 09:10:20 PM
I don't see the big deal if a knighthood if it isn't hereditary, it is basically just like being awarded the Légion d'honneur at this point. Is it just because the monarchy has a symbolic role Sheilbh? Or is it that you just dislike these kinds of state service awards in general?
Monarchy - I've got no issue with the Legion d'honneur :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 18, 2020, 05:17:04 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2020, 09:10:20 PM
Monarchy - I've got no issue with the Legion d'honneur :wub:

:secret:

Légion d'Honneur has been overused for quite a while now, so the perceived value is not what it used to be.

Richard Hakluyt

Too many tossers are awarded honours in the UK system. Which is a shame as it devalues the awards made to worthy recipients.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 18, 2020, 06:00:52 AM
Too many tossers are awarded honours in the UK system. Which is a shame as it devalues the awards made to worthy recipients.

Hey our highest civilian honor recenty went to Rush Limbaugh. I challenge the UK honor system to top that,
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on July 18, 2020, 04:35:54 AM
Knighthoods, bleh. Win a world cup, and the Spanish monarchy will make you marquis and grandee of Spain  :cool:

Is that title heritable?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 18, 2020, 03:00:00 PM

Is that title heritable?

Yes, although IIRC you have to pay a hefty inheritance fee on them.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on July 18, 2020, 03:03:16 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 18, 2020, 03:00:00 PM

Is that title heritable?

Yes, although IIRC you have to pay a hefty inheritance fee on them.

And you don't even get any lands, peasants, or feudal rights to go with it.