Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Zanza

Valmy

So it is less of a red line and more of a red circle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2019, 02:43:01 PM

No, a deal can only be down when the decision matrix more closely resembles the London underground map.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: mongers on February 08, 2019, 02:58:33 PM

No, a deal can only be down when the decision matrix more closely resembles the London underground map.  :bowler:

No Deal Brexit is Mornington Crescent station.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2019, 07:58:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 08, 2019, 07:42:17 AM
BTW I think this will make conditions ripe for the abolishment of the monarchy. The extra layer of prestige of level-headedness it had given to Britain is now gone. It is quite clearly useless as a political device as these supposed heads of state are silent.

I don't see how that follows at all. The Queen isn't expected to intervene in these sort of matters. :huh:

Extreme right politicians leading the country to imminent doom for their own gain?
Seems to be where the monarchy should intervene.
██████
██████
██████

frunk

I don't think they are extreme right, they are extreme dumb.

mongers

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 08, 2019, 06:07:32 PM

:D

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 08, 2019, 06:07:32 PM

Platform 9 3/4? I thought this was at King Cross's?  :hmm:

mongers

May has replied to Corbyn's letter, but bizarrely it has been media embargoed till 10.30 pm, so as to miss the deadline for tomorrow's newspapers.   :rolleyes:

edit:

For what it worth here reply here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47192233

Effectively she's saying no to a deal with labour.

Richard Hakluyt

To be fair Labour's plans make no sense at all. If we remain in a customs union and close regulatory alignment with the EU then why leave at all? They are still stuck in magical thinking.

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 11, 2019, 12:57:58 AM
To be fair Labour's plans make no sense at all. If we remain in a customs union and close regulatory alignment with the EU then why leave at all? They are still stuck in magical thinking.

If anything then why leave at all.
Brexit is not about making anything better. It's about damage minimisation.
And a Norway style setup is the least bad option besides cancelling the whole thing. It ensures we still have brexit so the flag wavers can be happy, whilst at the same time ensuring the UK has an economy and we get to keep all our rights.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on February 11, 2019, 03:33:37 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 11, 2019, 12:57:58 AM

If anything then why leave at all.
Brexit is not about making anything better. It's about damage minimisation.
And a Norway style setup is the least bad option besides cancelling the whole thing. It ensures we still have brexit so the flag wavers can be happy, whilst at the same time ensuring the UK has an economy and we get to keep all our rights.

I want them to run a second referendum. The "flag wavers" will not be happy with a Norway option, most of them want no deal. I propose that we choose between remain and either,  (a) a genuine deal offered by the EU that can get through Parliament (May's deal only meets one of these conditions so I don't think this is a real option), or (b) no deal. The compromises are no good because they piss nearly everyone off; with my proposal at least only diehard remainers or leavers (perhaps 25% in each case) will be infuriated.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

It's ok Syt, as I understand, what we can't sell anymore to Western Europeans, Indians will buy from us in even greater quantities.

Duque de Bragança

Brittany not being more involved with Britain is somewhat surprising.