Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Threviel

Why is the UK importing huge amounts of gold?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Given that map, looks like if there are going to be shortages in the UK because of Brexit, it'll be shortages of new vehicles.  But I guess the Brits can just ride bikes from Tunisia.

Threviel

They'll have lots of empty car factories, they can start building Morris's again.

frunk

Quote from: dps on February 15, 2019, 05:14:35 AM
Given that map, looks like if there are going to be shortages in the UK because of Brexit, it'll be shortages of new vehicles.  But I guess the Brits can just ride bikes from Tunisia.

Looking just at each country's biggest export is pretty deceptive, since it could be that France's top 10 exports are more significant than all of South America for instance.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on February 15, 2019, 03:51:26 AM
I refuse to be interested in this latest "shock defeat" - a meaningless bill to support in spirit what we already knew the MPs don't want to be seen supporting (can also be called reality).

Plus, of course it got defeated. It was a Brexit-related bill to support something. It should have been against something and then it would have gotten a majority.

Meanwhile there's no negotiation with the EU and no progress on, well anything.

Ultimately, unfortunate or not, at this moment in time the best option is May's deal. As a friend of mine aptly put it: MPs rejecting it now is like a drowning man in the sea refusing a rescue boat, insisting to wait for a ship to pick him up.
That's her plan
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Quote from: frunk on February 15, 2019, 08:13:44 AM
Quote from: dps on February 15, 2019, 05:14:35 AM

Looking just at each country's biggest export is pretty deceptive, since it could be that France's top 10 exports are more significant than all of South America for instance.

Yeah that map is not very useful.

Razgovory

I do hope we are all wrong about this and Brexit brings nothing but freedom and wealth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on February 15, 2019, 03:18:38 PM
I do hope we are all wrong about this and Brexit brings nothing but freedom and wealth.

And sparklers, don't forget the sparklers.

edit:
Oh and maybe some of those pretty Chinese lanterns, too.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

I wonder if the 7 British Languishites who voted leave still think that was a good idea.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 15, 2019, 04:53:51 PM
I wonder if the 7 British Languishites who voted leave still think that was a good idea.

Great point.  Any takers?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Do we even have 18 British posters anymore?

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on February 15, 2019, 06:27:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 15, 2019, 04:53:51 PM

Great point.  Any takers?

Angulutus (?sp) thingy was one, but he only occasionally drive-by posts now.

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on February 15, 2019, 06:36:06 PM
Do we even have 18 British posters anymore?

I'm not sure there were that many in total? :unsure:

Shelf, Brazen, Tricky RH, Warspite, the famous one, Angulutus thingy, me, PJL guy? , Swallow, someone I know, um I'm missing a few surely?  :bowler:

alfred russel

The Russian bots voting in the poll probably still think it is a good idea.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014