Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on July 13, 2018, 08:39:36 AM
Well the Sun  interview has been declared fake news by The Man himself.

But they released audio excerpts! :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on July 13, 2018, 09:35:50 AM

FAKE. NEWS.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on July 13, 2018, 09:35:50 AM

Who are you going to believe, me or your lying ears?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Orwell would have rejected this behaviour as implausible in a novel, officials in the ministry of truth would find it breathtaking.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/15/theresa-may-donald-trump-told-me-to-sue-the-eu

QuoteTheresa May: Donald Trump told me to sue the EU

PM reveals president's Brexit advice was not to negotiate with the bloc at all

Theresa May has revealed that Donald Trump advised her to "sue the European Union" rather than negotiate with the 27-country bloc, in a private conversation that the US president referred to during his visit to the UK on Friday.

The prime minister was asked on the BBC's The Andrew Marr Show what the "brutal" Brexit negotiating advice was that Trump had talked about in their joint press conference outside the prime minister's Chequers country retreat.

Revealing it for the first time, May said: "He told me I should sue the EU." After being prompted by a surprised Marr, May repeated: "Sue the EU, not go into negotiations with them, sue them."

The prime minister smiled, and indicated she had disregarded the advice, saying "actually we're going into negotiations with them", in remarks that will be interpreted as a put-down of the president.

On Friday, Trump had said he gave May "a suggestion, I wouldn't say advice" about how to handle the Brexit talks, without revealing what it was. "I think she found it maybe too brutal, and that's OK. I gave her a suggestion, not advice. I could fully understand why she thought it was a little bit tough."

Marr's interview with May comes at a politically perilous moment for the prime minister, who is facing calls for a confidence vote over her leadership of the Conservative party, and the prospect of Boris Johnson spelling out the reasons for his resignation in a newspaper column on Monday.

Reports at the weekend suggested that around 40 of the 48 MPs needed had lodged no confidence letters with the chairman of the party's backbench 1922 Committee.

May indicated that she would seek to fight off any challenge, saying: "I want to focus people's minds on how you ensure you achieve that prize, the benefits of leaving the European Union." She added: "I have always said I'm in this for the long term."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

One more proof Trump thinks running a country is the same as running his half-legal property racket.

mongers

Is May finally going to come out fighting?

Against her internal Tory party enemies and Trump's bullying?

I'd hazard the next week will be crucial to her hold on the premiership.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Whats disturbing is we haven't seen too much support for her from the moderate tories.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Her plan is still violating most of the red lines of the EU for a closer integration (one out of four freedoms, no ECJ, etc.) So I doubt Brussels is too interested to help her out.

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on July 15, 2018, 08:10:15 AM
Her plan is still violating most of the red lines of the EU for a closer integration (one out of four freedoms, no ECJ, etc.) So I doubt Brussels is too interested to help her out.

It is at least a reasonable offer however.
It's like if you're selling your car for £10,000.
So far you've had Davis like "I'll give you £500. Or you know what. Just give it to me! LOL!"
May is offering £7000.
Not a good enough offer. But at least its sane and there is room for negotiation.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Her plan is to have a Norway-style deal worded like it was a hard Brexit.

I guess she expects the EU to be willing to throw her that bone, but I don't think the EU will risk looking like they folded to the cake and eat it demands

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on July 15, 2018, 09:41:41 AM
Her plan is to have a Norway-style deal worded like it was a hard Brexit.

I guess she expects the EU to be willing to throw her that bone, but I don't think the EU will risk looking like they folded to the cake and eat it demands

Lets see. The EU aren't vindictive, they don't want to punish the UK.
And as much as they need us more than we need them is complete nonsense, the EU could do without the blow to 5% (or whatever it is) of its exports.
The EU has certainly shown itself to be willing to negotiate with the wording in EU laws- Cameron's renegotiation resulted in the EU agreeing to explicitly state stuff that up until that point was vague.
I don't think its too unreasonable they let the UK put into writing a bunch of stuff which is already the case- like the Swiss thing about employers having to prioritise locally based candidates. Companies already do that even without a law to tell them to.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-back-my-chequers-plan-or-brexit-wont-happen-11437460

QuoteThe prime minister has issued a stark warning to MPs that failure to back her plan for Brexit would risk the UK not leaving the EU at all.

And that would be terrible, absolutely terrible I tell you.